IGNORED

X-Files 2016

Rubin Farr

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so ummm did anyone watch this?

i didn't think it was as bad as the reviews made it out to be (although it wasn't amazing either).

one thing i found confusing: so scully didn't trust that girl had alien DNA (she said the results came back negative) but then after she goes missing she says she double checked and hints she had alien DNA? is that what made her change her decision to go back to the x-files?

also, what was the story about the asian scientist with a ufo in that warehouse? i didn't get that at all. who was he? and was that a ufo or proof that the government has had some complex technology they've been hiding?

one last thing: was it just me or did the roswell crash look fake as hell?

great episode, but man it was depressing. So is Mulder still on some government payroll? Why would the US govt still employ him after putting him on trial in the finale? Wasn't he just a recluse in the last movie? I like they flipped the conspiracy once again, so maybe humans were piloting the giant spacecraft from the first movie huh.

Several fun callbacks to the original series; the opening credits, the rampant use of cell phones (X-Files was one of the first shows to do this), using an antiquated search engine, I believe it was supposed to be https://www.webcrawler.com/

Questions:

how is

Cigarette Smoking Man

still alive?
will we see Krycek's ghost again?

will we see Mulder & Scully's child?

did Mr. X really die?

what have the other 2 agents been up to for the past 14 years?

is Mulder & Scully's child an alien hybrid?

who were the alien bounty hunters really, were they even alien?

what about the Black Oil?

what about the bees?

does ROUSH still exist?

what is the significance of 2012 now that it's in the past?

was FEMA really a secret government within the US Government?

i didn't think it was as bad as the reviews made it out to be (although it wasn't amazing either).

one thing i found confusing: so scully didn't trust that girl had alien DNA (she said the results came back negative) but then after she goes missing she says she double checked and hints she had alien DNA? is that what made her change her decision to go back to the x-files?

also, what was the story about the asian scientist with a ufo in that warehouse? i didn't get that at all. who was he? and was that a ufo or proof that the government has had some complex technology they've been hiding?

I watched it.

I thought it was awful.

I don't know a better way to say it, but you could see the acting. Duchovny was phoning it in. Sounds like this reboot doesn't pick up until episode 3. They tried to cram waaaay to much into one episode in reference to your spoiler. They probably edited the hell out of it & cut pieces that would have explained more.

I'm not as concerned about the form of the episode, I don't mind a lot of plot and whatever, I'm just curious where they are going to take it. It was kind of jarring to see Mulder all pals with the right-wing alex jones / glenn beck conspiracy whatever kind of guy, and the blending of real life america through that speech combined with real life footage of dea agents and other stuff. That whole sequence just felt a little too close to home compared to the fantasy setting of earlier X-Files. Also I don't see how they can 'reframe' all of the ufo / alien stuff to be powerful elite humans executing some plan, and I'm not sure how that sits with me conceptually. I'm wondering if there will be surprises in subsequent episodes or if they will just run with that as the main story. If it's true the UFO at the end when the girls car is destroyed loses some mystery, as you kind of imagine people sitting inside or or remotely controlling it, rather than something from space that is unimaginable and fascinating. UFOs and aliens bring a strange sense of wonder about the stars and stuff. But like all in all I really liked the episode, maybe not on a superficial level, but if they bring some meat to the story and some interesting turns, it could be really nice. Gillian Anderson has said the first and last episodes would be mythology, and inbetween there would be monster of the week iirc. Curious about the standalone ones

what was with the constant music playing throughout the entire episode? i don't think there was a single scene that didn't contain droning music in the background. that and the fact that someone actually used the term "the net" made the whole thing feel 90's as fuck. then again maybe that's the point?

also, hilariously bad acting in that scene with mulder and scully on the porch to the house. scully was pretty good overall though. mulder looked like someone just woke him up from a 15 year sleep and gave him the script 10 minutes before shooting.

also, hilariously bad acting in that scene with mulder and scully on the porch to the house. mulder looked like someone just woke him up from a 15 year sleep and gave him the script 10 minutes before shooting.

Freaking exactly. That was the scene I was referring to when I stated "it looks like it's acting", like a skit that would appear on a late night talk show.

Scully was much better overall. Duchovny was brutal.

i gotta watch this but in my opinion how could anybody's brain interpret this as fun fantasy in the year 2016?? Like not that necessarily the viewer believes in conspiracy stuff but it's hard to get away from that shit (maybe moreso on WATMM but also many many youtube comments). I'm assuming in the 90's it was just the neighboorhood weirdo/local dale gribble kind of dude who was like that??

Shockingly bad writing, and an awful performance from Duchovny, Anderson did her best, but some of her lines were pretty lolworthy as well. I always preferred the standalone stuff, so hopefully the other episodes will be better. I agree it definitely felt over edited as well, way too rushed.

completely agree with mulder just phoning it in. i though gillian anderson was very impressive (not to mention how good she looks).

and joel mchale is a terrible casting choice. i just feel like he's doing a parody of a character.

I loved X-Files in the 90's, but I always saw it as essentially just a supernatural soap opera

And Duchovny has always been a terrible actor (e.g. that episode where his father dies and he gets all "emotional")

The extent of his range is "hungover, can't be arsed"

Episode 2: Jeez, the robo-dialogue is getting worse, not better. Even Skinner sounds like he's just reading a text book, c'mon Chris Carter you can do better than that. and Sanjay & Gupta? durrr..is Sanjay Gupta the only Indian Carter ever heard of, or was it a tribute to him? As someone with tinnitus, it bugs the shit out of me when TV and movies use high frequencies to simulate either an explosion going off, or hearing loss. I have to reach for the mute button or put my fingers in my ears quickly.

And why the hell is Mulder employed by the FBI, or is he just showing up at the office every day in a suit and they let him in? FFS

Founders Mutation - Much of what Rubin stated. Felt better than the 1st episode, but that ain't saying much. The product placement of the new Ford Explorer was lol. They displayed it's front end camera twice for the sole purpose of showing the feature of the vehicle to consumers. Pathetic really. Yea, the Kyle kid was in the 2nd shot, but c'mon xfiles.

Scully wanted to have it checked twice all along, to be sure. But her paranoia was thrown out the window after hearing Mulder and Alex Joe McCale Jones rant about their new grand conspiracy, which is why in spite she told the girl she tested negative. She didn't want to wait at that point as she likely planned. She then regretted it later.

CRASH SITE: Yeah and no. I appreciate the real prop used but it seemed kind of Sci-Fi channel looking quality wise.

Also Roswell is fairly dull compared to the site they used for the show. It's in the part of SE New Mexico that becomes flat and desolate, so it's neither the mountains of the Lincoln Forest to the West nor the rugged landscapes of the Big Bend part of Texas further south, just dry, scrub filled rolling hills mostly.

I think the ARV was like a non-government example that was either reversed engineered or acquired illegally by scientists with good intentions. Or maybe a good government who were then shut down for revealing it to civillians, i.e. leaking it. I dunno.

I'm not as concerned about the form of the episode, I don't mind a lot of plot and whatever, I'm just curious where they are going to take it. It was kind of jarring to see Mulder all pals with the right-wing alex jones / glenn beck conspiracy whatever kind of guy, and the blending of real life america through that speech combined with real life footage of dea agents and other stuff. That whole sequence just felt a little too close to home compared to the fantasy setting of earlier X-Files. Also I don't see how they can 'reframe' all of the ufo / alien stuff to be powerful elite humans executing some plan, and I'm not sure how that sits with me conceptually. I'm wondering if there will be surprises in subsequent episodes or if they will just run with that as the main story. If it's true the UFO at the end when the girls car is destroyed loses some mystery, as you kind of imagine people sitting inside or or remotely controlling it, rather than something from space that is unimaginable and fascinating. UFOs and aliens bring a strange sense of wonder about the stars and stuff. But like all in all I really liked the episode, maybe not on a superficial level, but if they bring some meat to the story and some interesting turns, it could be really nice. Gillian Anderson has said the first and last episodes would be mythology, and inbetween there would be monster of the week iirc. Curious about the standalone ones

I thinks it's 2 mythology episodes and 3-4 monster of the week, including a goofier one

also, hilariously bad acting in that scene with mulder and scully on the porch to the house. mulder looked like someone just woke him up from a 15 year sleep and gave him the script 10 minutes before shooting.

Freaking exactly. That was the scene I was referring to when I stated "it looks like it's acting", like a skit that would appear on a late night talk show.

Scully was much better overall. Duchovny was brutal.

Which is why it was so fucked that Anderson was initially offered only HALF of the salary Duchovny was going to get. I like both, I think even if he was phoning it in it worked, but I do agree she's much more capable as an actress. That's always been part of their dynamic as Mulder and Scully.

i gotta watch this but in my opinion how could anybody's brain interpret this as fun fantasy in the year 2016?? Like not that necessarily the viewer believes in conspiracy stuff but it's hard to get away from that shit (maybe moreso on WATMM but also many many youtube comments). I'm assuming in the 90's it was just the neighboorhood weirdo/local dale gribble kind of dude who was like that??

some article i saw says it gets better in later episodes, but the first one felt like a love letter to alex jones.

IMO that character and the idea of acknowledging the right-wing fringe folks like Alex Jones addresses the conflict those people create for more grounded, rational, and/or liberal citizens who have the same concerns about corporations, militarization of government, privacy, etc. Once far left journalist or politicians get into discussions of things like the surveillance state or the legality of the War On Terror, or even things as basic as "why wasn't Bin Laden's body documented at all when it was recovered and buried" you get into this territory where your biggest and most vocal allies are fringe conspiracy theorists or folks on the right, who disagree with you on a lot of stuff and/or cling to horrible beliefs like anti-vaccination or that climate change is a hoax. Which is why it's so easy to simply ignore it and give up on even addressing it (i.e. Scully when this episode starts). That's why the Democratic party is so curtailed right now and Hilary, a sterile moderate and neo-con lite in foreign policy, is their primary candidate.

Or 9/11 - I think the show, appropriately, will address the fact that it was real but the impact it had has allowed for the government to take advantage of us as a society and citizenry. I mean FFS we entered the longest and most expensive wars EVER and we're still fighting them with literally little to no progress in the grand scheme of things.

I can personally attest to being drawn into that thinking and checking out Alex Jones and at one point swaying towards libertarianism for awhile (including supporting Ron Paul in 2008) but ultimately it just didn't gel with me. I still respect Ron Paul and Gary Johnson a lot but those guys are moderate, and unfortunately overall that whole sector of ideology is just full of too many zealots and delusional nutjobs. I can relate to Mulder's desperate zeal for the new conspiracy laid out for him. Likewise Scully's reservations early in the episode for re-visiting the x-files is completely understandable as well.

I couldn't watch this last night because it was preempted by an NFL game, which is honestly pretty classic '90s X-files.

Hahaha. Yeah our DVR cut off because of that. We had to watch it on demand with no FFWD and commercials. It made it seem like the 90s. Almost wish there was a VHS quality option for streaming.

Founders Mutation - Much of what Rubin stated. Felt better than the 1st episode, but that ain't saying much. The product placement of the new Ford Explorer was lol. They displayed it's front end camera twice for the sole purpose of showing the feature of the vehicle to consumers. Pathetic really. Yea, the Kyle kid was in the 2nd shot, but c'mon xfiles.

I miss the non-product placement and as someone with a nostalgic tendency who watched the original series decade+ after the fact recently, I like seeing the cars they drive in the mid-90s, which were then new: really dull Oldsmobiles, Fords, Lincolns, etc. Almost all of those are now in junk yards or barely running.

Archived