IGNORED

Is anybody here intentionally pacing themselves for soundcloud stuff?

pabs

At first, my plan was to start listening to all the new aphex songs after he finished uploading. But I had to change my plan when he just kept going and going.

Now, I've decided that the best thing is to tread slowly.

Richard uploading over 150 songs is seriously like finding a truckload of cocaine. You'd be a fool to snort I all in one go! (Could have used a money analogy, but that was more fun)

This is a once in a lifetime chance to have an ongoing flow of RDJ music, like it's the mid 90s all over again!

My current plan is to just listen to 10 tracks per month. Then it will be like getting a new RDJ album every month for 16 months now! (and counting!)

There are no negatives to me. I've waited so many years for new material that getting an album per month is PLENTY. It also allows me to really enjoy it fully and listen to all the nuances, like I did with Syro. Hell, if I could wait longer, I would...maybe I will! :)

Tell me, is anybody else doing a similar thing? Or do you all think I'm crazy?!

I'd rather have a contant high for a year and a half instead of consuming it all over a month and be left aching for more...

You must have the discipline of a Jedi.

I didn't have access to a computer last week so I only listened to a handful of the tracks on my phone. As soon as I got home, I downloaded everything from Soundcloud and blasted through it over two days, while Richard continued dishing out his second batch. Finally caught up with everything by the time he uploaded the Cottage tracks.

Currently giving the entire dump a second playthrough, except this time I'm categorising everything into 'Quite Good', 'Very Good' and 'Seriously Good' lists. Anything that doesn't make a list is sadly getting shafted from my iTunes. There's just too much for me to store on my iPod, especially if 'Richard. Is, Just. Getting. Started.' haha. I haven't managed to get rid of as many tracks as I had hoped. Damn you Richard and your consistency!

I took a similar approach, but not as extended as yours. I've listened to only about 10 new tracks a day, and then repeated listens of those throughout the day. So far I'm at track 110, so I still have almost another 50 to go, this weekend will be a good one.

I don't think I could restrain myself for throughout the whole year, too much discussion and stuff going on, and I am missing out bc I haven't even heard them all. I usually skip over comments that mention the ones I haven't listened to yet so I'm eager to be able to take in everything others think. Obv it seems good so far and the first 2/3rd's of these tracks have been amazing.

You should have made this thread sooner and maybe some others would have followed suit, by now i'm sure most everyone's taken all these tracks in for digestion already, and can you blame them? We've been waiting for this! I am surprised I've been able to control myself enough to 10 a day

No. I listen to them the second they're released, immediately comment on them, download them, repost them on soundcloud and like them, and then listen to them 4-6 more times, then delete them off my hard drive

EDIT:

Seriously though, I always enjoy music more after I listen to them a couple times. So I'm going through them all and getting familiar with them and then probably will go back and listen to them in playlists later on. I'm always too distracted with trying to figure out a song when I first listen to it that I can't really enjoy it.

EDIT 2:

But I seriously did listen to each of them the second they were released. I was late to work a couple of times because I was laying in bed listening to the tracks as they came out.

I listened to all of tracks at least once, but i don't listen to them that much, only favorites on repeat

In a week i add extra new 10-20 tunes to whole playlist and it repeats. that way i will be suprised even several months later

...and several months later is new LP so i'm good

I haven't got a clue what I'm doing with them. I can't wrap my head round it all lol. I just dip in and out here and there, I'm still pretty confused by the whole thing :blink:

But it's all cool :braindance:

Wow, I'm the only one here that decided not to gorge eh?

Even if you've heard em all once or a few times, that's not enough to really soak them in...you can still do this!

Anybody have the balls to join me?

Showing restraint can really pay off...and when else is this ever going to happen again?!

You should have made this thread sooner and maybe some others would have followed suit

it's not too late! For all we know, there may be a few hundred more. This may be just the beginning!

Currently giving the entire dump a second playthrough, except this time I'm categorising everything into 'Quite Good', 'Very Good' and 'Seriously Good' lists. Anything that doesn't make a list is sadly getting shafted from my iTunes. There's just too much for me to store on my iPod, especially if 'Richard. Is, Just. Getting. Started.' haha. I haven't managed to get rid of as many tracks as I had hoped. Damn you Richard and your consistency!

Doing it somewhat similarly. My playlists are something like ''Highlights'', ''Ambient'' and ''Ultimate''. There are so many stellar tracks though that only a few haven't made it to any of those lists. Will not drop anything from my itunes even though they wouldn't make it to any of those playlists. I'm particular selective with the ultimate list but even so that one too begins to be quite full of tracks and I haven't even listened to every sc piece yet. The whole dump/gift to the fans thing is so huge that I need to categorize them since I'm awfully slow at digesting new tunes. Can't take them all at once.

Respect to you Mike with your quest. Couldn't hold myself from listening to these as much as I can. But yeah, it will take a while to assimilate these all.

I've burned 11 cds for the car including the syrobonkers material so am just cycling through them, all in order of upload.

Simply astonishing the consistency of quality and the vast range of styles... yet soo Aphex..

I'm only on cd 3 at the moment!!!

Guest kymppinetti

i don't really have a plan. i'm not pacing or anything. though what i'm doing is i just put music player on auto repeat and put some track on. usually listen one track about half an hour or so.

Guest damageis

I waited a month after Syro to listen to marchromt30a (Syro bonus track) and it was SUCH an amazing treat. But like everyone else I am just so blown away with all this new material I dont know what to do with myself. Have only been able to save 2 tracks for later, Cottage4 and 179 brk2.

For those with the patience to do this, it is indeed very rewarding. Just a question of how long you can hold out for.....

I can see the logic to your strategy, but no way do I have the self control for that. I was more like that wanker from Vice, but instead of energy drinks and smugness on shitty laptop speakers it was booze and joy on fancy headphones. At first I listened to everything sequentially, on repeat. Then shuffled for a bit, then started to categorise it more recently and play as imagined albums and focus on the best tracks. It'll take a while to fully digest everything even this way, and who knows if he's even done yet, at the rate you're going it'll take you a couple of years, you'll definitely cave at some point, especially if he dumps another hundred tracks.

Guest LoveRhino

Yep. I've only so much time on my hands though thankfully can wear headphones at work. I've been digesting slowly on random becoming familiar with some and pleasantly surprised by others. I haven't made a big dent yet.

Yeah I've been pacing myself with some listens here and there, there's a shit ton to go through and I'd rather make it last and appreciate them fully than have an Aphex overdose and start taking them for granted while not truly listening. As much as I love AFX tunes, too much of any artist can cause burnout and I'd hate to burnout on this massive gift from RDJ.

Be careful that you don't set up so many rules that you keep yourself from enjoying the tunes! If you're too limiting you may get tired of the ones you have "allowed" yourself and that would be uncool.

I have found that these songs kind of pace themselves for me. I'll listen to one or two and then something will really resonate with me and I will have to go to the other room to mess with keyboards or draw something. The vibes in these songs are energizing, and relating some sounds to the songs we've heard for 20 years and their associated memories can feel like a sort of internal time travel.

Since you are taking your time you should spend a day and make sure your speakers are set up optimally. I had a flaky adapter in one of my monitors and got mad so I made some wires and redid a bunch of connections. It felt good to clean up and things sound nicer when you are more familiar with the path your audio takes to your ears.

I hope it doesn't seem like interest has waned on the soundcloud since everybody is listening to the files now?

Winamp says i've only heard about 40 of them, so lots more fun times ahead for me.:)

Not really had a chance to get through much of it, i've had it on at work on the computer with headphones but i keep getting interrupted and having to pause it to the point where i'm snapping at people, so i've given up listening to it there. I think i've only heard about half and i'm re-listening to tracks i like over and over. Tracks unheard are , mainly the most recent ones, i'll listen to them tonight. Grateful he's taken a break so i have a chance to catch up/

Yeah I've been pacing myself with some listens here and there, there's a shit ton to go through and I'd rather make it last and appreciate them fully than have an Aphex overdose and start taking them for granted while not truly listening. As much as I love AFX tunes, too much of any artist can cause burnout and I'd hate to burnout on this massive gift from RDJ.

100% true. Unfortunately I'm just way too impulsive to ever take such an approach.

Archived