IGNORED

LEGO Appreciation Thread

Rubin Farr

when i was little i got a HUGE fucking amount of old lego that i had endless fun with

this type:

Lego_Space_sets.jpg

when i got older but still l iked to build i had a bunch of these type of lego including the one in the picture:

601.jpg

Ohhh man Ice Planet...that brings me back. 1993 if I accurately remember

when i was little i got a HUGE fucking amount of old lego that i had endless fun with

this type:

Lego_Space_sets.jpg

when i got older but still l iked to build i had a bunch of these type of lego including the one in the picture:

601.jpg

Ohhh man Ice Planet...that brings me back. 1993 if I accurately remember
It kinda looks like this set, which if I remember I received for my 10th birthday. It splits into 3 sections which I thought was the coolest thing ever.

ECD85C97-7BB7-4F6B-AE77-D5676367526B_zps

I've sold all of mine a long time ago in a fair along with playmobils, comics, etc and I still hate myself for it.

I used to be more of a K'nex kind of guy tho, and I still think it's a lot cooler than Lego.

I had a K'nex set as well, nothing quite that big at all, but I built a fucking amazing fighter plane out of it. Like I utilized every piece perfectly with no extras, besides a few rods I had set aside to use as bombs, which I could store then drop from a opening bay door that swiveled open. Perfectly fit a GI Joe figure too in the cockpit area. Looked like a Saab 39 Gripen. I took it apart and tried another design with front canards, but it wasn't quite the same.

I love Legos though. I would never stray from the kit instructions but I also had a big bucket of random legos and leftovers my mom got from a friend, so I would create stuff from that one. Built an awesome helicopter, a Labrador / Chinook looking rescure copter, after watching a movie with something similar in it. My favorite kit was this one, was a big xmas git.

Both my parents and in-laws refused to sell or give away any legos, they've been held for grandkids and hopefully for us to all save money. Legos are awesome but man they are expensive.

lego-money.jpg

I've read instruction manuals differ between region, as in US kids are encouraged to build the set and leave it, with minimal alternate configurations included these days (unless it's a specific builder set like Minecraft) whereas EU kids are encouraged to build it, bash it, then use their imagination to build something else. Licensed sets really set the tone for this, as they are part of a line that kids would want to play with together. Like I said, a lot of kids these days don't even realize they have all the pieces to build new sets for free, hence so many specialized parts, some are almost just a solid piece of plastic, not real LEGO in my opinion.

460E1A55-3C6F-4273-BAD4-BFD707063D20_zps

I've read instruction manuals differ between region, as in US kids are encouraged to build the set and leave it, with minimal alternate configurations included these days (unless it's a specific builder set like Minecraft) whereas EU kids are encouraged to build it, bash it, then use their imagination to build something else. Licensed sets really set the tone for this, as they are part of a line that kids would want to play with together. Like I said, a lot of kids these days don't even realize they have all the pieces to build new sets for free, hence so many specialized parts, some are almost just a solid piece of plastic, not real LEGO in my opinion.

Yeah the ones I recall from the 90s had the set instructions but always had a panel with at least 3-5 alternative configurations to build with the same set of bricks. I was so OCD I rarely did this, but the option was there. (There was a point before I had any big sets when I actually use to pore over LEGO catalogs and just imagine the stories associated with the Pirate, Knights, Space themes, etc. as if it was a comic without words or something). Those themes were vague enough for kids to come up with their own adventures.

But yeah, I've found the licensed sets recently often quite constraining. All the lego theme videogames and media is curious to me too. I get it sorta - but I dunno I had both Star Wars toys (action figures and micromachines) and legos, and the idea of star wars legos would of seemed redundant I guess.My siblings and and I all built the first edition of the Hogwarts castle though over xmas one year.

Guest Chesney

Holy shit yek! Me and my bro had most of those space sets in that top pic when they came out in the 80s. Reckon about 83 my guess.

It kinda looks like this set, which if I remember I received for my 10th birthday. It splits into 3 sections which I thought was the coolest thing ever.

ECD85C97-7BB7-4F6B-AE77-D5676367526B_zps

I had that one too. Christmas Day 1983, putting it together. Awesome.

Here's some screen grabs of LEGO HQ (well one of them) I took from the last Ideas video, they really are like any other EU design firm I've worked with, except they deal with micro engineering plastic bricks, instead of infrastructure and concrete.

169E32EF-D0ED-4810-99BA-AABA1E086B8D_zps

040E79E4-BB4B-4327-BD9C-DEEA9809DD17_zps

CC00A0F8-AFC5-4AA1-92F2-B074E6C59373_zps

420117B2-6B35-4FEC-AAE9-75FBDF131909_zps

Here's some screen grabs of LEGO HQ (well one of them) I took from the last Ideas video, they really are like any other EU design firm I've worked with, except they deal with micro engineering plastic bricks, instead of infrastructure and concrete.

I visited the original factory late last year as part of a freelance job and it was incredible. Everything was top secret as fuck so I can't show any photos from the place, but it was amazing.

holy shit, I would get on a plane tomorrow if I could get a job at LEGO

I haven't played with LEGO since I was a kid but I have a few of those blindbag Simpsons dudes. Way cool.

lego-minifigures-simpsons-series-2-colle

Got Frink, Willie, Maggie/Santa's Lil Helper and Dr. Hibbert so far.

Hoping to catch me a Moleman.

Edited by QQQ

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Quite a lot of genuinely mindblowing things on the internet that people have made out of Lego. None of it is in this thread