IGNORED

US dates

Guest pixelives

@John-E: they're actually pretty personable irl, yo. Rob made jokes about me coming all the way from Aus. Sean was like "we don't normally get recognised by fans!" I told him I fully expected the night's show to be insane and he just sort of grinned like "you know it, bwoooy".

@Ivan: yeah man, after like 4 weeks of family roadtrip hell throughout the States and Canada, that ^ made me feel like it was all worth it. and it was only a few mins or so, I wanted to get out of their hair cos they were obviously a bit tired and had to freshen up before the gig.

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

d-lo and I have crewed up. the rest of y'all, make yourselves known at the venue! (doublename, I'm talkin' about you, iirc you're coming?)

oh yeah, I ran into them at their hotel after walkibg around for 3 hours trying to find a room in BrooklynleWZvn5h.jpg

Oh man so good

we get it, autechre, no one else should even bother trying to make music.

some unbelievable lushness. 3d bass monster somehow coated with a morphing web-like layer. yes, midi is stone-age. i need to learn max.

sorry i didnt show my akward face to you nice watmmers. booked it right after to make the earlier train because i had work this morning.

fucking lol @ North Face

Toronto gig was neat, snares+ cyg also great. My green jizz sean pls shirt wasn't as glow-in-the-dark-y as i hoped tho

we get it, autechre, no one else should even bother trying to make music.

some unbelievable lushness. 3d bass monster somehow coated with a morphing web-like layer. yes, midi is stone-age. i need to learn max.

Yup, this was my takeaway too.

midi is stone-age. i need to learn max.

sorry i know this wasn't you who quoted this, but when they went off on how old-school midi was in the AAA it was the most glaring red herring i've ever seen them layout in an interview. Like i'm sure that they aren't bullshitting about feeling midi limiting, but it seemed kinda like sleight of hand 'we're more next level than anybody' type of statement to me. The proof is in the pudding of how next level they are (the way their music sounds) so sometimes when they go off on these tangents about how obscure/unorthodox their working method is without giving explicit details it feels a bit like they're trying to spin a bit of a mythos about themselves. They said in an interview recently that they're almost at the point where they can spit out an album in real-time with the software they have. I'm a big enough fan boy where I believe them when they say it, but sometimes I wonder what all the secrecy is really about, like if their software could do that it would be fucking amazing to see a video of that happening, similar to that vsnares tracker video from a few years ago

Well if you look at midi bandwidth, resolutions, and message types, it is pretty limiting. I sincerely felt that they were just pointing out the obvious.

Agreed. How is it that we still only have 128 values in 2015? I want some higher resolution in my knobs

midi is stone-age. i need to learn max.

They said in an interview recently that they're almost at the point where they can spit out an album in real-time with the software they have.

Sorry forgive my ignorance but isn't that essentially what they're doing during their live show?

Each set seems drastically different from set to set, from what I'm listening to online. There are some places where I think I'm hearing the same track as in another set from the same tour however it's always different enough that I could call it a remix at best. I personally would definitely buy (as an album) what I heard at the Vancouver show, and if that's what they're producing live then what they said in the interview/and the AAA is on point, they can near spit out an album in real time.

But I do agree it would be nice to see something like the vsnares renoise video to see how they do it. That said if they legitimately have a next level style of workflow contributing to their trademark otherworldly sound..I can see how they'd want to protect as much details about their setup as possible..

How much of the live shows do you think is prerendered/preset (not sure I'm using the right words) btw?

The latency with MIDI and the tendency for midi messages to be dropped when sending more than one message is the biggest pains in the ass to deal with and its been nearly 30 years. It really has to go. Admittedly MIDI thru daisy-chaining was really cool at the time if you did slower stuff.

Yeah, they often went "soz, this is ae trade secret" both in AAA and more ancient sources, it was mostly Sam. Like they unwillingly feel that that's all there is, some trademark secret technique, which separates them in their little business niche.

So, while they're minimizing attention to their mere tools unlike fucking everybody atm, they are maximizing it in the different direction, hence all the "max magic" and "elektron machines" fixation of the past years.

Archived