IGNORED

Favourite YouTube Videos

Joyrex

I don't know If I'd be as pissed as these guys are unless maybe I was in danger and he just stood there and watched or perhaps something very personal like having sex or masturbating.

Which I wouldn't do the latter in public but just saying.

EDIT:

Or if I were doing something illegal. IF.

Edited by ZiggomaticV17

i think it's upsetting that these people are not allowed to be pissed about that. i also understand the point he's attempting to make, but to post so much raw footage of confrontational, angry people is just an invasion of privacy at the expense of those filmed. it undercuts the larger purpose of the exercise, which i actually think is fascinating and would work in a different context (or with context).

i think it's upsetting that these people are not allowed to be pissed about that. i also understand the point he's attempting to make, but to post so much raw footage of confrontational, angry people is just an invasion of privacy at the expense of those filmed. it undercuts the larger purpose of the exercise, which i actually think is fascinating and would work in a different context (or with context).

They are allowed to be pissed about it, but no one says they have to be. You only reveal what you choose to reveal and these people choose to reveal anger. Personally if it were me and they guy wanted something to film I'd start talking global issues or even local ones. They even have the added benefit of knowing they are being filmed.

Everyone reacts as though they were caught committing a crime. And yet when the NSA spies on them or when the spying is done passively no one has an issue cause Ignorance is bliss, they don't know what part of them is being recorded when, yet when they do know, their reactions are, well this. Its ironic and full of context that just says the direction society is going is terrible and full of contradiction.

Edited by ZiggomaticV17

again, i understand the point. it's extremely juvenile. and he actually films college courses in his first video. which he can't do, because they're paid for and private.

if he's trying to make a point about the nsa, he should put the video in context, blur faces and have respect for his subjects. i know "the government doesn't respect privacy" or "there are cameras everywhere", but the reaction from a lot of comments on these videos that somehow these people are out of line for reacting to a breach of their assumed privacy is worrying in itself. like there's some entitlement to what he's doing. if you're honestly saying you wouldn't be bothered by a guy getting in your face and filming you, or that there's no difference between a security camera meant to be reviewed privately by a worker and some random guy sitting down and filming you while you're drinking coffee who harasses you and then posts the footage on youtube, fair enough.

i should add that if he's trying to make a point or is using this footage as a kind of youtube installation piece about privacy, why make multiple videos? it's pretty clear that he enjoys getting a rise out of people.

Edited by zaphod

RE: the filming people, I'd be pissed if someone was filming when no explanation was given just a "I'm allowed to film in public". However, comparing it to the 1987 video is quite different. If I went to a kebab shop or small convenience at 2 in the morning I reckon pissheads will take it quite well.

RE: the filming people, I'd be pissed if someone was filming when no explanation was given just a "I'm allowed to film in public". However, comparing it to the 1987 video is quite different. If I went to a kebab shop or small convenience at 2 in the morning I reckon pissheads will take it quite well.

I guess the alcohol is a factor, but I think 1987 just had a more innocent view of the potential proliferation of media.

"The short haired lady sitting just behind Bill is his- at the time- wife Ellaine, who tragically committed suicide a few years after this video was made. His brother Harry, an accomplished composer, committed suicide as well; but Bill´s long way with drugs was the most painful and slowest suicide of all. What a tragic life!"

yep, if he was trying to make a political point he should do it with cops or mall security or something. Of course he knows what would happen were he to have taken that direction with his project.

Also to your earlier point about the people being understandably mad at him but also, crazies. We'd all look a little crazy if we were confronted with this guy and he wouldn't go away and didn't respond to us and we couldn't do anything because pushing him away or grabbing his camera would be a violation of his rights. That would make you pretty angry, but because you are being filmed you would have to suppress it. I'd imagine all that would make you look a little nuts to the camera, this flustered and compressed ball of rage.

yep, i was gonna point this out too. It's a different context. Drunk people 'wooo, lets partay. Ohh camera, look at meeee wooo football team yeah!!'. as opposed to, 'i'm just chilling, you can see i'm chillin' and need some space, get the fuck out of my face you disrespectful little cuntbag.'

I guess the alcohol is a factor, but I think 1987 just had a more innocent view of the potential proliferation of media.

Also, there was no possibility of a private moment being uploaded and viewed by millions of people. And seeing a video camera in that context was much more of a novelty. I'm sure if that guy had found someone in that 1987 7/11 on a private call on a payphone that was about sensitive matters they would have told him to fuck off. The girl behind the counter doesn't like it but because of customer service is too unsure to tell the guy to get out of her face. And drunk people 'woo'. I was thinking though that the person with the camera was the same genotype/came from the same social background as those drunk people so they were less like to want to break his suspicious arse.