IGNORED

Aphex Twin And His Impact On Popular Culture (YouTube Documentary)

Rubin Farr

Popular culture - i doubt he's had  that much influence - I mean the MTV music  days were thrown a wobbler with windowicker/Come to Daddy and it certainly shook up the general formula and got many people to delve into electronica/ But that was > 20 years ago now.  but lately? The last 10 years?

32 minutes ago, phudoshin said:

Popular culture - i doubt he's had  that much influence - I mean the MTV music  days were thrown a wobbler with windowicker/Come to Daddy and it certainly shook up the general formula and got many people to delve into electronica/ But that was > 20 years ago now.  but lately? The last 10 years?

To be fair Aphex's logo has been heavily ripped off in a lot of underground fashion and design in the last 2-3 years.

Vintage Aphex Twin Knit Hand Made Sweater | Grailed

Custom Aphex Twin 'Richard D. James Album' Knit Sweater ( BOGEMA ) | Grailed

Aphex Twin Ringer Tee Black – Arrogant Bastard

SXEEC2p.jpg

People are even making rugs now, the list could go on. This is the visual side of things though not his music, though his music has been used in some big tv shows and documentaries recently too.

3 hours ago, cern said:

Yas, sorry but that is the little bit of the wrong approach..

It would have been better if: Aphex Twin and his impact on electronic music

The fucking thing hasn't even come out yet to judge it!

• Like 1

it was okay. very little time spend on Rephlex and his early days compared to the major WARP stuff. also it relies way too much on documentary clips from around youtube. the "Aphex Twin buys beer" video is used in full which kinda seems unnecessary. and i know it's a big deal that Notch (the minecraft guy) won the CAT023 auction but we don't need a seven minute montage of interviews with kids on minecraft, a lot of them hadn't even heard of aphex.

interesting that "Techno Tetris", "Outside Kickass Violin Solo" and "Ghost In The Shell" are all now confirmed as RDJ as well as several tracks on Geogaddi and MHTRTC. never would've guessed. and great news about the aphex warp store getting bought out by Ryan and Rob!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/25/2022 at 10:54 AM, Dragon said:

it was okay. very little time spend on Rephlex and his early days compared to the major WARP stuff. also it relies way too much on documentary clips from around youtube. the "Aphex Twin buys beer" video is used in full which kinda seems unnecessary. and i know it's a big deal that Notch (the minecraft guy) won the CAT023 auction but we don't need a seven minute montage of interviews with kids on minecraft, a lot of them hadn't even heard of aphex.

interesting that "Techno Tetris", "Outside Kickass Violin Solo" and "Ghost In The Shell" are all now confirmed as RDJ as well as several tracks on Geogaddi and MHTRTC. never would've guessed. and great news about the aphex warp store getting bought out by Ryan and Rob!

How did you watch this? And yes, it’s a student film. 

2B63348D-32EC-4B97-9939-AD234D4E2DFB.jpeg

7 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Was it this maybe?

Watched this yesterday. Wasn’t exactly amazing. That’s being kind. I’m sure anyone on watmm could do a much better job. The BOC ones for example from last year were far superior. Just get some well known photos and clips of Richard and narrate some well known facts over the top. Maybe as an introduction to a kid who’s not so clued up it’s okay.

• Like 2

I love how aphex is putting out gear. The "never use presets" guy. I personally can't bring myself to buy an aphex synth for the same reason. Feels silly

Is this a documentary about a Documentary? What a joke. Either get Aphex a day in the life or who gives a fuck. Hang out the man. He's opened up a bit maybe try and get in touch with him

Edited by marf

it could have been more interesting if it didnt focus on afx's impact on popular culture

no mentions of rephlex, which disappointed me a bit

i would love a lengthy doc just about richard, his music, and rephlex. there's a loooot of content to talk about

nonetheless i guess it's a good student film

what did you guys think?