IGNORED

Name one thing about modern day life that really irritates you

fumi

The white middle classes who spend time in racially diverse, low income areas for the sole purpose of appearing cultured. Then talk about it in a super patronizing way while simultaneously engaging in lifestyle choices that contribute to the divide.

That is oddly specific

Not really. It's a thing. Especially in London.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a serious and upsetting one.
I have a 13 year old son and despite my best efforts to educate him on the things of true value in this world, he still places a lot of importance on social media "likes".
I find myself constantly correcting him on stuff like this.

If I ask his little mates what they want to be when they grow up, it's not uncommon to get "youtuber" as a response. This is a serious career goal in their eyes.

They put a lot of energy into trying to come up with youtube video ideas that they think will get them followers and somehow make them rich.
There is a small degree of entrepreneurial spirit about it which I kind of admire in these little kids but it's just so deluded and sickening.

The importance that these children are placing on followers and likes is absurd. 

You might think that it's simple enough for an intelligent parent to knock something like this on the head but it really is not easy. You're up against an entire culture that attacks your kids from every fucking angle. It's a grotesque monster that is completely fucking destroying the future of our species. A mind nonce.

I know I sound old.

Can't blame them - I thought I'd be a guitar player when I was a kid - I think I mostly didn't wan't to do a job because I thought all jobs were a miserable soul-crushing grind - maybe you could educate him about the different jobs that people do that aren't like that - for example I wonder how it would have been for me if I'd realised that microbiology is a career, or researcher, or antiques restorer, who knows maybe for him it would be dog trainer or fireman or something, I don't know

Can't blame them - I thought I'd be a guitar player when I was a kid - I think I mostly didn't wan't to do a job because I thought all jobs were a miserable soul-crushing grind - maybe you could educate him about the different jobs that people do that aren't like that - for example I wonder how it would have been for me if I'd realised that microbiology is a career, or researcher, or antiques restorer, who knows maybe for him it would be dog trainer or fireman or something, I don't know

I don't blame the kids. Not at all. I don't know that I'm really blaming anyone. Just cursing a culture that has risen and become out of control.

If anyone is to blame it's probably my generation. Not setting a good enough example or something. As a parent you just have to accept full responsibility for your kids actions and choices because it probably is your fault somewhere down the line.

Now I feel guilty and old. Life was a lot better when I mostly just felt stoned. Maybe I've become jealous of youth and bitter.

I'm going to make all of these feelings disappear for a few hours now by chopping another 100 jungle breaks that I'll never use.

The white middle classes who spend time in racially diverse, low income areas for the sole purpose of appearing cultured. Then talk about it in a super patronizing way while simultaneously engaging in lifestyle choices that contribute to the divide.

That is oddly specific

I have an acquaintance, friend of a close friend, and her and her husband are quasi-yupsters who live in East Austin which historically was the way you describe. I recall her posting on facebook about how lame it was seeing so much gentrification and new construction in the neighborhood...yet they live in a huge condo complex built less than 10 years ago. I lived in the same area too because it was, at the time, the only place my wife and I could afford to rent that was close to our jobs. People who boast and humble brag about being progressive are often the ones ironically anything but. 

That is oddly specific

I have an acquaintance, friend of a close friend, and her and her husband are quasi-yupsters who live in East Austin which historically was the way you describe. I recall her posting on facebook about how lame it was seeing so much gentrification and new construction in the neighborhood...yet they live in a huge condo complex built less than 10 years ago. I lived in the same area too because it was, at the time, the only place my wife and I could afford to rent that was close to our jobs. People who boast and humble brag about being progressive are often the ones ironically anything but. 

its the same people that tell you how much they are "pro-immigrants" while living in a neighborhood with basically no immigrants nearby

I can see where you're coming from Lee, i worry a lot about the effect this social media narcissism will have on my 4 year old girl when she's older - that places more value on looks, wealth, material things and appearances. I want her to value relationships, experiences, kindness - but I guess she'll figure it out for herself one way or another. The YouTube vloggers are annoying as hell but then so was Timmy Mallett when I was a kid and I still loved it, and I'm FINE! Seriously though, watch them yourself and once you get past the irritating behaviour and annoying jump-cuts, they're just normal kids saying normal stuff. Good idea to broaden your kid's minds as much as possible. I didn't know how varied and interesting the working world was until after university, frankly.

I have a 13 year old son and despite my best efforts to educate him on the things of true value in this world, he still places a lot of importance on social media "likes".

If I ask his little mates what they want to be when they grow up, it's not uncommon to get "youtuber" as a response. This is a serious career goal in their eyes.

They put a lot of energy into trying to come up with youtube video ideas that they think will get them followers and somehow make them rich.

There is a small degree of entrepreneurial spirit about it which I kind of admire in these little kids but it's just so deluded and sickening.

The importance that these children are placing on followers and likes is absurd.

You might think that it's simple enough for an intelligent parent to knock something like this on the head but it really is not easy. You're up against an entire culture that attacks your kids from every fucking angle. It's a grotesque monster that is completely fucking destroying the future of our species. A mind nonce.

I know I sound old.

Teenagers are naturally a bit narcissistic and overly concerned with peer approval. He'll probably grow out of it. I wanted to be a minor celeb of some kind or other too.

There is a small degree of entrepreneurial spirit about it which I kind of admire in these little kids but it's just so deluded and sickening.

I know I sound old.

I like to imagine it's a bubble that will bust. Or some kids just might grow out it. It's dire now, I hear a lot about how warped even nice kids are by this crap from teacher friends and family of mine, but some triumph anyway...but maybe like 2 or 3 kids out of 25-30. But the optimist reminds myself that this all very very new and people will mellow out, adjust, and regain a sense or real life humanity and interaction. Social media at this level was non-existent 10 years ago. It'll likely be decades before we really get a handle on what all has changed and how we can adjust. In other words, part of me hopes that despite the endless distraction of technology, kids will still want to just run around and play hide and seek or ride bikes outside.

Also, there's a breaking point where people decide whether to try to be famous / popular / etc. versus well-respected and sincerely liked in a niche community. The sense of instant popularity and the ability to literally pick a media and genre to try to succeed in is very novel but surely collapse in good time. Internet celebrities with few exceptions are still 15 minutes of fame careers. You can make a living of it but in terms of cultural significance few will be anything but a footnote. Same can go with job and careers - you can either pursue a passion or hobby with little financial reward or do well financially doing something you don't much like or worse, compromises some principles you wanted to hold.

There's a great scene in the show Extras with Gervais where his agent is very blunt and tells that the truth is most people can either achieve  "fame and fortune" or "integrity and respect" but not both. The exceptions to that, being respected and famous, eludes virtually all hard working artists.

I can see where you're coming from Lee, i worry a lot about the effect this social media narcissism will have on my 4 year old girl when she's older - that places more value on looks, wealth, material things and appearances. I want her to value relationships, experiences, kindness - but I guess she'll figure it out for herself one way or another. The YouTube vloggers are annoying as hell but then so was Timmy Mallett when I was a kid and I still loved it, and I'm FINE! Seriously though, watch them yourself and once you get past the irritating behaviour and annoying jump-cuts, they're just normal kids saying normal stuff. Good idea to broaden your kid's minds as much as possible. I didn't know how varied and interesting the working world was until after university, frankly.

My son is only a year a few months but I'm already trying to plan this stuff out ahead of time. I guess the best thing is to just let them explore what they like within reason. Even before social media / internet as a kid there was always the classmates and friends of mine who could watch PG-13 and R movies, crude tv shows, had the newest video games and toys, etc. I wasn't deprived but I wasn't spoiled either. My parents paced that stuff out a lot for me, and I'm grateful they did.

I came to the horrible realisation that this is probably me, a few years ago. I should just put up a framed picture of Thatcher in my living room and be done with it.

re: kids growing up wanting to be youtubers

I'm more concerned about what'll happen to them if the power gets switched off. that's my angle on the thing, not necessarily just dismissing it as a fad or feeling like you've lost touch with the world and don't understand newer technologies/paradigms. it is a serious concern when people aim for professions/livelihoods that are possibly unsustainable. but yeah, he is just a kid, and may grow out of it.

If I were still 18, I would aspire to have a Twitch channel with tons of viewers. My other passions overtook the 'professional gamer' dream when I had matured, though. The development between 13 and 18 is pretty phenomenal, so he'll probably wise up eventually.

oh it's a derivation of bourgeoise, kind of like petite bourgeoisie but not really. I looked up the foods though, they're all normal everyday things like paté. But i spose to the people inhabitting the 'culture' that you are sick of, perhaps they're a bit arrogant and self aggrandising. If it wasn't food that they were getting a vanity high off, it could be knowledge of the bible or something. Would you prefer that ?

There's a great scene in the show Extras with Gervais where his agent is very blunt and tells that the truth is most people can either achieve  "fame and fortune" or "integrity and respect" but not both. The exceptions to that, being respected and famous, eludes virtually all hard working artists.

Well said.

It's weird to ponder how different the connotations of the word "Like" are for different generations. I thought it was incredibly cheesy and awkward when I first grasped the modern concept, but there are kids of a fairly developed age now that were probably introduced to that as early as the original meaning. Mental.

oh it's a derivation of bourgeoise, kind of like petite bourgeoisie but not really. I looked up the foods though, they're all normal everyday things like paté. But i spose to the people inhabitting the 'culture' that you are sick of, perhaps they're a bit arrogant and self aggrandising. If it wasn't food that they were getting a vanity high off, it could be knowledge of the bible or something. Would you prefer that ?

you're really weird dude

I know I sound old.

How about you stop being so negative and encourage him to do things tangential to this superficial interest?  Get him some decent video editing software, maybe he will become a director.  

or get him a super-8mm & slowly drip feed him Jodorowsky, Tarkovsky & Lynch

that way when drugs come along he can say "but Jodo IS drugs, maaaaaaaan"......

seriously, i dont envy you, the entrenched variety of insidious devices & young minds is no joke, but a bit a deflecting rather than hoping to divert something altogether in the least patronizing tone of suggestion? was anyone alive open to common sense in their formative years, cos usually we have no idea

just be grateful he aint a Dead-head....

kattgarcia_thumb.gif

you're really weird dude

I wasn't having a go at you if that's what you were worried about mate. [-;

Led Zepplin fans

people complaining about technology

i honestly dont know how ive lived without it until my mid 20's. i had a better social life i guess. yeah,  i did. 

the cost of living

the system

having to buy your way in or be some scam artist to make a really good living

Archived