IGNORED

Name one thing about modern day life that really irritates you

fumi

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's lit -

Mr. Nabokov, would you tell us why it is that you detest Dr. Freud?

Vlad: I think he's crude, I think he's medieval, and I don't want an elderly gentleman from Vienna with an umbrella inflicting his dreams upon me. I don't have the dreams that he discusses in his books. I don't see umbrellas in my dreams. Or balloons.

I'm definitely not suggesting Freud was right about everything...

But dreams are an interesting case...one thing that seems near-certain is that dreams play an invaluable role in memory and categorization and threat-assessment and just generally how we makes sense of the world...(it's not merely 'wish fulfillment' as Freud thought)...

One view is that dreams are ways of simulating dangerous situations so we don't actually have to experience them to be prepared (there are some similar views about drama and the origins of language and imagination)...if you imagine another species being able to run simulations of the world, it's clear just how insanely advantageous that would be

Self centered travellers who turn their noses up at people who live less interesting lives then themselves. 

Capital upmanship of buying goods to then sell on at a higher price with the use of Ebay. That shit took me years to master. 

I heard some psychologists talking about dreams/goals semi-recently

And how to tell if they're healthy and/or realistic

Essentially, if you can't envision the intermediate steps between you and (e.g.) "famous YouTuber" then that dream/goal is gonna do more harm than good

(And all the findings seem to suggest the harm is indeed great)

divide & conquer.... kind of like programmering really, things are gonna succ if you don't properly pick concepts apart and solve the little things step by step. But fuck me, programmering is trivial compared to basic life.

callousness of strangers to those obviously in need (in big cities, I guess).

You can only tell someone to fuck off politely in so many way. haah.

I don't get it, are you the person in need or do you seek people out who seem in need to tell them to fuck off?

callousness of strangers to those obviously in need (in big cities, I guess).

You can only tell someone to fuck off politely in so many way. haah.

When I lived in Austin TX, I was asked by homeless people for money.. constantly. I actually started getting irritated from being asked multiple times a day.

So many of them tried to guilt trip me into giving them money, one guy told me he was a veteran, and that he had a japanese wife, and asked me to donate to the 'homeless veterans fund' by giving him cash. By then I knew better. I could see syringe marks on his arm, and scabs around the marks.

So many of these schizophrenic homeless people on the street. Half I met and talked to were obviously mentally ill. It's pretty sad. It puts things into perspective. How by chaance you're fucked If you genetically have schizophrenia, and a family that either doesn't care, or gave up on you long ago. You don't have the right mental health to get your life back on track

Yeah I hear that. I don't think having boundaries in that context is callous but necessary and probably safe.

yes, cars suck. fucking barbaric when you think about it.

also, im really disappointed in medical science. things are goodish but with so much advancement in other areas in our world medical science kind of sucks. including psychiatry.

i have a friend who has terminal brain cancer. he stares at a candle all day. we should be able to help him by now. also, get the fucking awful chemicals out of our lives, food, air, bottles, roads. 

i've just finished a holiday and smartphones played a good role in making it annoying. everyone was wanting to charge. or drop a pin here and meet there. we argued a lot as a group.

back in the day we just had fun now it's all difficult because of devices made to make things easier by fooling you into addiction

anyway, needless to say i've not had a smartphone or social media for well over a year so maybe i am just freudianly studpi

what saddens me the most nowadays is how everyone, even kids, are addicted to the computer/ipod/cellphone.

its like you dont see someone just sitting there doing nothing anymore.

same thoughts , I dont have a smartphone but what i see scares me , they all act like brainwashed zombies

People used to carry books/magazines/newspapers/Walkmanses. When was this mythical time that people sat staring vacantly into space in public?

That activity has always been reserved for Sunday church.

what saddens me the most nowadays is how everyone, even kids, are addicted to the computer/ipod/cellphone.

we have to accept the fact that youtube is more interesting than talking to people irl, maybe we'll start speaking to each other again in virtual reality (maybe)

we have to accept the fact that youtube is more interesting than talking to people irl, maybe we'll start speaking to each other again in virtual reality (maybe)

i was waiting for the bus today with, i assume, were a bunch of grade eight students. all they talked about was youtube, cellphones and apps.

I heard some psychologists talking about dreams/goals semi-recently

And how to tell if they're healthy and/or realistic

Essentially, if you can't envision the intermediate steps between you and (e.g.) "famous YouTuber" then that dream/goal is gonna do more harm than good

(And all the findings seem to suggest the harm is indeed great)

underpants-gnomes-phase-3-profit.jpg

Reading sentences people have written that start with "Hell," or even worse "Heck,".

I will just stop reading at that point and will usually immediately turn off the device.

For example "Heck, with network speeds these days I don't even need to go into the office"

FUUUUCCCK OFFFFF YOU ABSOLUTE CUNT

lol, yeah, it's pretty cheez when done sincerely. Is it really that modern, though? Seems like more of a really dorky 50s kind of thing? Or maybe like some weird Texan or military officer thing? idk. When I hear that it reminds me of that kind of shitty wooden dialog they put in, like, Tom Clancy type books.

I was on the train the other day, and literally everyone on the carriage had their head in an iphone or ipad.. nobody was even reading a paper lol. A lot of people (even the middle aged) are mostly lost in technology and can't relate to each other like they used to.

uhh who cares. technology is good. we're just going for the most interesting thing available to entertain us, pretty logical isn't it? you can lament about how times have changed and point out the downsides of phone addiction but stacked against the benefits it's a no contest sozza

true true

uhh who cares. technology is good. we're just going for the most interesting thing available to entertain us, pretty logical isn't it? you can lament about how times have changed and point out the downsides of phone addiction but stacked against the benefits it's a no contest sozza

There are huge hidden costs to our immersion in technology.

Faustian, even.

Archived