IGNORED

David Lynch quits feature films (not really)

oscillik

I agree with roger ebert in his appraisal of lynch as only reaching his peak with mulholland drive. Everything before that was throwing shit at a wall to see what sticks. I do like twin peaks but more for its comfiness than anything else. I think I was too old when I watched him for the first time, you have to be young and impressionable to really love this stuff.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair though, I thought he already quit doing feature films before Inland Empire. Digital filming killed lynch movies even before the franchises killed the entire industry.

And ebert sucks indeed. Before mulholland he was throwing shit at a wall? wtf!? have you seen blue velvet?

And ebert sucks indeed. Before mulholland he was throwing shit at a wall? wtf!? have you seen blue velvet?

Plus....

What an intro/outro to the movie.

He'll probably find some way of financing another film. His movies are usually pretty low-budget. Either way, we're seeing a boom in television that will likely destroy the film industry, so a lot of money from smaller production houses are likely to turn to television. That, or more independent movie theaters open, which is highly unlikely.

I didnt read all the posts but 1 question if its a money thing than how are there so many great movies on a lets say "indie" based budget. 

I didnt read all the posts but 1 question if its a money thing than how are there so many great movies on a lets say "indie" based budget. 

'Great' is subjecting.

The funding is in the context of what the studios are prepared to foot the cost for and accept as a return on their investment.

That decision isn't based on whether the film is "great", it's based on whether it'll make a shit ton of money.

you are taking mainly about hollywood 

or do you believe that indie movies have the goal to make a shitload of money ?

Hey guise, I've found the person who hasn't bothered to read anything Lynch has said.

I wasn't a fan of INLAND EMPIRE. I've watched it a couple times and rate it equally to Dune, Alan Smithee version. Fire Walk With Me was also pretty questionable. 

Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart and Mulholland Dr. are the trifecta.

Not willing to sacrifice his creative control for blockbusters and not willing to sacrifice quality to make a low-budget film, he’s been left with only one option: to quit.

I guess he dint went to the cinema for a while. A lot of amazing movies came out the last 8 years based on  low budget but i suppose he is referring to certain actors which well are not cheap lol

Not willing to sacrifice his creative control for blockbusters and not willing to sacrifice quality to make a low-budget film, he’s been left with only one option: to quit.

I guess he dint went to the cinema for a while. A lot of amazing movies came out the last 8 years based on  low budget but i suppose he is referring to certain actors which well are not cheap lol

Okay.

i like a lot of lynch just for the otherness of it all.  some of it resonates more than others but to me it's all good... even if only part of it is good it's worth it to me for that handful of scenes or that one character etc.. 

i like inland empire even though i've fallen asleep in it.. there are some shifts and changes when they cut on the on screen film w/in a film but then the story keeps going and it just freaks me out and displaces my internal timeline of events.. i think that's part of the attraction for me.. this long ass movie that sort of loops back on itself. 

mulholland dr. is fucking great though.. so many great scenes and characters tangled up in some crazy hollywood shit. 

lost highway is a gem too.. i even like Dune.. and moments of the nicolas cage laura dern movie.. wtf is that one?  there's some good stuff in that and nicholas cage's ridiculousness just fits perfect but.. there's some buts... 

if you haven't seen the documentary about him that was made while filming inland empire i recommend it.. i think there's a bunch of meditation stuff in it but also lot's of behind the scenes stuff and some hilarious moments... 

"What a heavy load Einstein must've had... fucken morons.. everywhere!"

https://youtu.be/SLry85Twhno?t=2m56s

To be fair though, I thought he already quit doing feature films before Inland Empire. Digital filming killed lynch movies even before the franchises killed the entire industry.

those were my words. ebert said that all the experimentation had paid off with mulholland drive. it was worth failures like lost highway and wild at heart to get there. i don't think he rated blue velvet highly. i'm indifferent to most of lynch's output but i think mulholland drive is a masterwork. i don't know why you guys take everything so personally.

let me be positive

i fucking love david lynch and pretty much everything he's done

twin peaks is one of the finest shows on television and even season 2 is great (maybe some meandering in the middle there ok james and nadine???) - season 3 just feels like it's gonna be insanely awesome based on the vibe i get from the teasers

i even liked inland empire even if it wasn't exactly his finest hour (rabbits made it a lot better)

anyway, i think he might do more tv stuff for sure, him going away from cinema film isn't really a big deal since he barely made any in years

edit: i think the last 2 episodes of twin peaks season 2 are my favorite bits of tv ever.

i totally understand anyone not liking his work, but i certainly love it.

i didnt enjoy inland empire as a one sitting film, but some of the sound design and unease in it influenced my taste in a bunch of stuff to this day. 

Jesus God, there is a surprising amount of aggression and malaise in this thread.

hah seriously. there's way too much cynicism and hate around here in general these days, it gets tiring. 

anyway I'm just glad lynch is still working! don't really care what medium he chooses. if he does more tv/streaming projects after twin peaks that would be great, i'd be fascinated to see what other ideas he might have for serialized content.

Hail praise Lynch!

Jesus God, there is a surprising amount of aggression and malaise in this thread.

hah seriously. there's way too much cynicism and hate around here in general these days, it gets tiring. 

tumblr_m5kle5iqf71ry2dxko1_500.gif

Oh yeah, how could I forget about Lost Highway. I actually loved that one. Elephant Man is also cool because it shows he could have made some really solid straight forward films if he decided to.

Jeez, the very worst thing he's made is Dune and I even like that one, mostly for its style. Time for watmm to check itself before it wrecks itself

Archived