IGNORED

AFX cassette of Tom Middleton’s from ‘89

hayhook

Has anyone posted this? Tom Middleton shared a photo on Instagram of one of his collection of old cassettes from Richard. Couple of interesting nuggets there...

?Found this 1989? tape Richard @instaphex handmade/handwrote for me, 2nd tape of 10+(?!) in my AFX tape archives.

Predating Analogue Bubblebath on Mighty Force Records, Surfing On Sinewaves on @warprecords, Didgeridoo on @randsrecords and SAW1 on @apollorecords

Some interesting tracks and versions I don’t remember being released?

...what do you make of those track id’s?

Wonder what the insurance value on this would be?!?

Starts with one of my all time favourites #Xtal!”

post-172-0-31134500-1522692438_thumb.jpeg

Yeah, I think somebody did post about this ages ago - I think some of the tracks may have been released via the SoundCloud dump from a few years back...

Mike P told me around that era Richard had about 11 (!) C90 cassettes of tracks he would give to mates to play in their cars, some tracks of which that eventually ended up on Selected Ambient Works 85-92.

^wasn't that the story behind the titles "Sams Car" and "Martin's Car LPF"? If RDJ was somewhat embarrassed of choosing to call a track Alien Fanny Farts, he must be super proud of those titles on the tape. Seems to be fond of all kinds of flaps.

^wasn't that the story behind the titles "Sams Car" and "Martin's Car LPF"? If RDJ was somewhat embarrassed of choosing to call a track Alien Fanny Farts, he must be super proud of those titles on the tape. Seems to be fond of all kinds of flaps.

I think those were/are age-appropriate track names (being how old Richard was at the time he composed them). He's matured greatly since then, and has moved on to naming tracks after the equipment used instead of dreaming up funny names for them.

Sams Cars is a car rental place (or some place that does something with cars) near clissold park.

Interesting - although more likely named after samanTHA, girlfriend at the time (and that's all that needs to be said at this point).

I think those were/are age-appropriate track names (being how old Richard was at the time he composed them). He's matured greatly since then, and has moved on to naming tracks after the equipment used instead of dreaming up funny names for them.

I must say your response really surprises me. There is, as far as I'm aware, no history whatsoever about tracks with names like clitoral stimulai or labial flaps. So the most obvious explanation is that this was an aprils fools kind of thing.

Sure there are still some tapes floating around. But that doesn't make this particular one real. Especially given the timing.

I wish he hadn't tbh

I must say your response really surprises me. There is, as far as I'm aware, no history whatsoever about tracks with names like clitoral stimulai or labial flaps. So the most obvious explanation is that this was an aprils fools kind of thing.

Sure there are still some tapes floating around. But that doesn't make this particular one real. Especially given the timing.

Is Manuel Sepulveda legit enough ;)

https://www.instagram.com/p/yXNvEsqBKN/?taken-by=manu_sepu

There was another thread about afx demo tapes. Jan's contribution was once again comprehensive to say the least.

https://forum.watmm.com/topic/93802-old-aphex-twin-demotapes/?do=findComment&comment=2572127

You're really questioning track names like that when he's released tracks commercially with names like "Cunt" and "Phlaps"?

Hand in your Aphex Twin fanclub membership card - right now.

Is Manuel Sepulveda legit enough ;)

https://www.instagram.com/p/yXNvEsqBKN/?taken-by=manu_sepu

There was another thread about afx demo tapes. Jan's contribution was once again comprehensive to say the least.

https://forum.watmm.com/topic/93802-old-aphex-twin-demotapes/?do=findComment&comment=2572127

Manuel is certainly legit - Richard just pinned the Bradley Strider stuff on him for whatever reasons he had at the time. Sepulveda's last know collaboration with Richard (AFAIK) was the DrukQs album design (Richard did the photography; Sepulveda did the design and layout).

Sams Cars is a car rental place (or some place that does something with cars) near clissold park.

Interesting - although more likely named after samanTHA, girlfriend at the time (and that's all that needs to be said at this point).

joyrex confirmed for girlfriend at tha time

Archived