IGNORED

Autechre - NTS 1-4 - reviews

wredny

• 2 weeks later...

well, well...

"Whereas Aphex Twin has said all the things he had ever have to say nearly two decades ago, Autechre seems to stay in touch with the evolution of [their] sound. On the other hand, even as they push the envelope outside defined boundaries, Autechre appear to water only the plants grown in their very own garden, rarely harvesting a new technique which some modern electronic musicians develop and embrace. "

https://reviews.headphonecommute.com/2018/08/28/autechre-nts-sessions-warp/

well, well...

"Whereas Aphex Twin has said all the things he had ever have to say nearly two decades ago, Autechre seems to stay in touch with the evolution of [their] sound. On the other hand, even as they push the envelope outside defined boundaries, Autechre appear to water only the plants grown in their very own garden, rarely harvesting a new technique which some modern electronic musicians develop and embrace. "

https://reviews.headphonecommute.com/2018/08/28/autechre-nts-sessions-warp/

"Take a listen to a new offering from the God of modular synthesis, Richard Devine, and see what I mean when I speak of sound design."

Ouch.

Also:

mathmachine_lg.gif

??

These reviews are nice and all, but I'm just holding out for the G Starostin review. If there's ever been a man who fully "got" Autechre....... it's him.

Edited by Guest

lol @werp for running with that quote

sorry susan and roberta, it were the computer wot made it, not you two!  :wang:

tbh this is the best Autechre review I've ever read in a mainstream publication, and one of the best period. It's one of those "talk about anything but the music at hand" type reviews that watmmers hate, but the author seems to really "get" the boys in a way I haven't seen before (not even memeing this time)

this part is particularly great:

The more time you spend in this world of sound, the closer you get to understanding its true origin—not the sound collages of Stockhausen’s day, but rather the American hip-hop and dance music that Booth and Brown grew up on. When Booth first heard the scratch-heavy electro of Los Angeles electro party rockers Knights of the Turntables in the mid-’80s it was still incomprehensible to him. “I was hearing it the way I heard Stockhausen,” he told Thump in 2015: “If you look at it purely in terms of the sound and science of it, it’s not that far from musique concrète. But there’s this cultural brick wall between the two things.”

The NTS Sessions, like so much of Autechre’s output, serve as deeply encrypted history lessons through which to tear down those walls. The duo was fortunate to come of age at a unique moment in musical history, that brief period from the late ’70s to early ’90s, when the sonics themselves were stacked higher than that wall. Advancements in production technology were rapidly outpacing their expected purpose and previously inaccessible music-making devices were suddenly attainable to kids from across all cultural and economic lines. Hip-hop and electro, house and techno, bass and freestyle grew out of this cross-pollination and quickly turned weird.

Autechre fully inherited the values of that era and they might be the only artists of our time to still live in them today. So much on NTS Sessions seems to offer a hypothetical alternate timeline to ’80s electronic music: What if it all just kept growing? What if each and every Latin Rascals razor blade micro edit was to re-edit itself violently? What if the stuttering vocals of Miami bass dubs were to develop sub-stutters? If all the acid house squelches grew into roars? If the extended DJ mixes lasted for entire days? And what if all the oh-shit moments that first came with these innovations were still central to the enjoyment of contemporary dance music? It would, presumably, keep evolving until it was no longer even recognizable as such.

Hell even the part about Stockhausen, which seemed like a bit of a stretch when I first read it, is almost exactly what Sean says in a recent interview.

Edited by Guest

A Boomcat review: 

https://boomkat.com/products/nts-sessions

"Call it an album, call it a radio show, call it a massive excuse to lock yourself away for 8 hours, either way ‘NTS Sessions’ is a vital dispatch from the North Face models, [...] 
In other words, it’s fuucking mint."

• 4 weeks later...

Nice review. This part rings very true for me

⨙ba=function(){this.∤⨖ ∀⨏◣ 7/2⧛≏⫷  ⨙ba=function( ,b)}catch(d) ⊂≴◥ ◦ test©)try{var d={g⌠◧   ∜◨319 :decodeURIComponent (b[1])}}catch⟗∷≀  ∭∐≷ ∢⦽ ,,,⫱∣ ∽⦒ ∦?k(a,a.href+”&ri=9″) ∧⟘⦠ (“dan ∕⤳ ×instanceof f||⨍ℶ (b=b.o?b.h ∟∞oGsFYjXg TREEITEM ∰∅⊆∜ INPUT#∞ ∦?k(a,a.href+”&ri=9”) ∧⟘⦠ (“data-sbt”),b=a ⨧∨ ∩aa= :∂≤9 47∇⊈ i=null ≗ ≘⟗;⊊ ∛parentNode(“data-sbt”),NgDaWoGsFY⦂ℏ ∽⦽ ∾ ∿ ⟗∷≀ ≁⨊ ≂ ≃∜ ⧉≄⟔ ≅ ⦗≆⧎ ≇ ≈ ∴≉ ≊⋴⊿position:relative⋢ ℔Ω ⨖Request;b.open ∕⤳ ×instanceof f||⨍ℶ (b=b.o?b.h ∟∞oGsFYjXg ≋

∫≩&&&℥ ⊁{var k=this,l=function(){} ∆⊃kEXPI:’31 ⧛≏⫷SELECT: ⋢℔ΩTransta-sbt”),b=a ⨧∨ ∩aa={A:1,INPUT:1, ⫱∣ ∤ ∥∽⦒  ◦ ◧ ≕ ◣ 7/2⧛≏⫷  ⨙ba=function(){this.∤⨖ ∀⨏NgDaWoGsFYjXgAbN94HIDg ∁∂≤9 47∇⊈ i=null;⊊ this.Za.shift()∇⊈∳⨋≳NUMBER:!0,()} ≹ta=(a){_.y.call ∳⨋≳⨒◢873∫≩&&&℥ ⊁{var k=this,l=function(){} ∆⊃kEXPI:’31 ⧛≏⫷SELECT: ⋢℔ΩTransform. ⩙⋴837ghg2928⊿ ⨔◪ #cdr_min,ve⋢ ℔Ω ⨖Request;b.opeform. ⩙⋴837ghg2928⊿ ⨔◪ #cdr_min,logbx=y=>by=x∰∅⊆∜ INPUT#cdr_max◬ ⨔ ⩙⋴⊿position:relative⋢ ℔Ω ⨖Request;b.open ∕⤳ ×instanceof f||⨍ℶ (b=b.o?b.h ∟∞oGsFYjXg TREEITEM∡⊘∱: ∽⦽  ∩aa={∥∽⦒∔⨍ Z:1,INPUT:7, ⫱∣metaKey d={g⌠◧   ∜◨319 ⫾ ∪ ∫function() {return !1,b)}catch(d) ⦽ ⫱{A:1,INPUT:8, ⫱∣ ∤ ∥∽⦒  ◦ ◧ ≕ ◣ 7/2⧛≏⫷  ⟜||null==b.which&&4== ⟒≌⧊ ≍ ⫽≎ ⧛≏⫷ ≐ ≑ ≒⟕ ≓ ≔ ≕ ≖ ≗ jXgAbN94HIDg ∁∂≤9 47∇⊈ i= null;⊊ this. Za.shift()∇⊈∳ ⨋≳NUMBER:! 0,∡ ⊘∱ ≖⨙∤⨖∀⨏cdr _max◬ ⨔ ⩙⋴⊿position :relati∡⊘∱: ∽⦽ ∩aa={∥∽⦒∔⨍ Z:1,∎>√∲∥℮∄∆⊃⊄⊅∊INPUT:7, ⫱∣metaKey∤ ∥∽⦒∔⨍ℶ∟h=null!=h&&h.specified ∁∂⨊∋≦≸

∧⟘⦠ :∂≤9 47∇⊈ i=null ≗ ≘⟗;⊊ ∛parentNode ⫾ ∪ ∫function() {return !1,b)}catch(d) ⦽ ⫱∣e[f]=b;b. ◮ ⊊onerror=b.  ≈⨧∨  onload=⟒≌ b.onabort=function() ≰∮ ⨏∁∂{delethis.Za.shift()∇⊈∳⨋≳NUMBER:!0,()} ≹tadecode ,,,⫱∣ ∽⦒ ∦?k(a,a.href+”URIComponent (b[1])}}catch⟗∇964⊈⊊ (r.substr(z+1)):r;≯⨌p[ja]⨒ ◤=r}}v=p}g.__jsaction=p} else p=ka,g.∩⧳ {return{event te∷≀  ∭∐≷ ∢⦽  ∤ ∥∽⦒ ◦ ◧ ≕ ◣ 7/2⧛≏ (“data-sbt”),b=a ⨧∨ ∩aa={A:1,INPUT:1, ⫱∣&ri=9″)

⨙ba=function(){this.∤⨖ ∀⨏◣ 7/2⧛≏⫷  ⨙ba=function( ,b)}catch(d) ⊂≴◥ ◦ test©)try{var d={g⌠◧   ∜◨319 :decodeURIComponent (b[1])}}catch⟗∷≀  ∭∐≷ ∢⦽ ,,,⫱∣ ∽⦒ ∦?k(a,a.href+”&ri=9″) ∧⟘⦠ (“dan ∕⤳ ×instanceof f||⨍ℶ (b=b.o?b.h ∟∞oGsFYjXg TREEITEM ∰∅⊆∜ INPUT#∞ ∦?k(a,a.href+”&ri=9”) ∧⟘⦠ (“data-sbt”),b=a ⨧∨ ∩aa= :∂≤9 47∇⊈ i=null ≗ ≘⟗;⊊ ∛parentNode(“data-sbt”),NgDaWoGsFY⦂ℏ ∽⦽ ∾ ∿ ⟗∷≀ ≁⨊ ≂ ≃∜ ⧉≄⟔ ≅ ⦗≆⧎ ≇ ≈ ∴≉ ≊⋴⊿position:relative⋢ ℔Ω ⨖Request;b.open ∕⤳ ×instanceof f||⨍ℶ (b=b.o?b.h ∟∞oGsFYjXg ≋

∫≩&&&℥ ⊁{var k=this,l=function(){} ∆⊃kEXPI:’31 ⧛≏⫷SELECT: ⋢℔ΩTransta-sbt”),b=a ⨧∨ ∩aa={A:1,INPUT:1, ⫱∣ ∤ ∥∽⦒  ◦ ◧ ≕ ◣ 7/2⧛≏⫷  ⨙ba=function(){this.∤⨖ ∀⨏NgDaWoGsFYjXgAbN94HIDg ∁∂≤9 47∇⊈ i=null;⊊ this.Za.shift()∇⊈∳⨋≳NUMBER:!0,()} ≹ta=(a){_.y.call ∳⨋≳⨒◢873∫≩&&&℥ ⊁{var k=this,l=function(){} ∆⊃kEXPI:’31 ⧛≏⫷SELECT: ⋢℔ΩTransform. ⩙⋴837ghg2928⊿ ⨔◪ #cdr_min,ve⋢ ℔Ω ⨖Request;b.opeform. ⩙⋴837ghg2928⊿ ⨔◪ #cdr_min,logbx=y=>by=x∰∅⊆∜ INPUT#cdr_max◬ ⨔ ⩙⋴⊿position:relative⋢ ℔Ω ⨖Request;b.open ∕⤳ ×instanceof f||⨍ℶ (b=b.o?b.h ∟∞oGsFYjXg TREEITEM∡⊘∱: ∽⦽  ∩aa={∥∽⦒∔⨍ Z:1,INPUT:7, ⫱∣metaKey d={g⌠◧   ∜◨319 ⫾ ∪ ∫function() {return !1,b)}catch(d) ⦽ ⫱{A:1,INPUT:8, ⫱∣ ∤ ∥∽⦒  ◦ ◧ ≕ ◣ 7/2⧛≏⫷  ⟜||null==b.which&&4== ⟒≌⧊ ≍ ⫽≎ ⧛≏⫷ ≐ ≑ ≒⟕ ≓ ≔ ≕ ≖ ≗ jXgAbN94HIDg ∁∂≤9 47∇⊈ i= null;⊊ this. Za.shift()∇⊈∳ ⨋≳NUMBER:! 0,∡ ⊘∱ ≖⨙∤⨖∀⨏cdr _max◬ ⨔ ⩙⋴⊿position :relati∡⊘∱: ∽⦽ ∩aa={∥∽⦒∔⨍ Z:1,∎>√∲∥℮∄∆⊃⊄⊅∊INPUT:7, ⫱∣metaKey∤ ∥∽⦒∔⨍ℶ∟h=null!=h&&h.specified ∁∂⨊∋≦≸

∧⟘⦠ :∂≤9 47∇⊈ i=null ≗ ≘⟗;⊊ ∛parentNode ⫾ ∪ ∫function() {return !1,b)}catch(d) ⦽ ⫱∣e[f]=b;b. ◮ ⊊onerror=b.  ≈⨧∨  onload=⟒≌ b.onabort=function() ≰∮ ⨏∁∂{delethis.Za.shift()∇⊈∳⨋≳NUMBER:!0,()} ≹tadecode ,,,⫱∣ ∽⦒ ∦?k(a,a.href+”URIComponent (b[1])}}catch⟗∇964⊈⊊ (r.substr(z+1)):r;≯⨌p[ja]⨒ ◤=r}}v=p}g.__jsaction=p} else p=ka,g.∩⧳ {return{event te∷≀  ∭∐≷ ∢⦽  ∤ ∥∽⦒ ◦ ◧ ≕ ◣ 7/2⧛≏ (“data-sbt”),b=a ⨧∨ ∩aa={A:1,INPUT:1, ⫱∣&ri=9″)

we must say that the author, Valerio Mattioli, has first declared that he does not find more eloquent words than these.
Will there be any way to decrypt the text?

Nahh ..

New portion of "influences" by Sean (he likes to vary it lately), aside from Eno & h3o of course

SB: Des morceaux longs, j’en écoute depuis la fin des années 1980, d’abord Eno et l’ambient, puis Bernhard Günter et les gens du label Selektion, The Hafler Trio, Kevin Drumm, Daniel Menche, Roland Kayn… Pourquoi serions‐nous plus radicaux que ces gens?

A little bit derivative TBH. Dime a dozen copy paste internet opinions. Give me Anthony Fantano any day

• 1 month later...

The Wire has finally weighted on NTS and it's their's no 8 in the 2018 Rewind! 

Autechre NTS Sessions 1–4 Warp 8xCD/DL/12xLP Autechre’s NTS Sessions 1–4 is an eight hour opus of endurance. Its 36 tracks are cut from recordings performed at London’s NTS Radio throughout April 2018, which came in four heroic instalments that were then played on loop over the week before broadcasting the next one. The result is overwhelming, with tracks with titles like “elyc9 7hres”, “violvoic” and “e0” running past the ten and 15 minute mark, while incrementally growing longer to conclude on the epic “all end”. The latter’s fine and textured ambience runs on a shimmering swell, clocking in just shy of an hour.

The process behind the production on NTS Sessions is unclear, with Rob Brown and Sean Booth’s developing, career-long collaboration with software being a distinct but unsubstantiated possibility. Without it, the mind boggles to imagine the mindfulness and stamina to maintain this meditative trance of maximal composition. As vast as this recording is, it’s even more astounding to imagine its position within Autechre’s 30-plus year career. Producing countless live and studio albums and EPs, they’ve rarely deviated from releasing via Warp, with its members only occasionally working outside the project. In light of that, the release is less an exercise in excess and redundancy (where at a certain point an artist can pretty much do what they want) and more an exploration of constancy without repetition.

Perhaps it makes sense to zoom out from the microscopic dissection of sound of NTS Sessions to the build and resolution of an entire oeuvre that spans decades. The build and resolve of this particular episode starts at the more beat-driven probe of Session 1 and ends on the transcendental atmospherics of Session 4. Where that sits in relation to 1994’s Anti EP, for example, is as the logical conclusion of an ever shifting post-human project that subverts and evades the authoritarian limitations of language. NTS Sessions is yet another lofty signpost on that journey to escape. Steph Kretowicz

New York Times: The 28 (?) Best Albums of 2018

10. Autechre, ‘NTS Sessions 1-4’

"The electronic duo Autechre delivered a magnum opus — eight hours of music — commissioned by the online London station NTS. It’s a fully imagined artificial universe of improbable timbres and rhythms, of repetitions cracked and warped, of long waits and sudden tangents, of propulsion and suspension, of expectations set up and undermined, of menacing implications and funny noises. Brittle, fractured, pointillistic patterns lead, eventually, to weightless, sustained rapture. The final track is nearly an hour long: a reverential, euphoric haze."