IGNORED

Collapse EP and Black Origami

Skeletron

The more I listen the more convinced I become that Jlin and RDJ are like best buds now. The beginning of abundance with the pitched rapid-fire polyrhythmic kalimba, claps and kicks is like something straight off of Black Origami. I love it. You can absolutely tell these two have been chatting and swapping works-in-progress over the past couple years.

And I'm talking specifically Jlin, not footwork as a genre. I hear very little of the typical tropes like repetitive vocal samples found in earlier footwork releases e.g. Bangs & Works or Double Cup, though most of that shit is absolutely mental. Whereas any of Jlin's most recent output from Black Origami, w/ highly syncopated and experimental clean percussion samples, almost "post-footwork" or "footwork idm", would sit well beside any track on Collapse. It's like they're using a shared sound palette and approach to writing polyrhythm.

E.g. Compare abundance with Carbon 7:

Metrically I feel like Jlin tends to prefer triple meters, playing with hemiola, switching between 3/4 and 6/8 or layering the two almost to overuse, while RDJ is pretty firmly rooted in 4/4 with insanely intricate subdivisions. There's the "collapse" in T69 and that weird moment at 2:07 in pthex but hell if I can work out what's going on there.

But on top of all that, the Primavera track a.k.a. MT1 was played on soudcloud during Mike Paradinas’ "An Hour of Jlin" mix for Bleep last year, credited as being by Jlin & Unknown. So Jlin and RDJ have at least been in contact and sharing tracks since then.

Anyone else hear the similarities?

I hear the similarities and find this quite interesting. Similarities stop at palette though, from what I hear.

Tracks like MT1 and 1st 44 have much more complex drumwork and other fuckery than any jlin song.

It sounds like collapse ep 1 upping jlin or jlin imitating collapse ep, however you want to put it the quality is just... different.

The fact that he dropped hatshepsut at Day for Night before it was released on Black Origami confirmed that they've at least been swapping some notes. Also, the fact there's a Jlin remix of MT1 in existence.

Oh damn, I was there and I hadn't even realized. He also played Guantanamo, Infrared and Erotic Heat; I remember thinking wtf is that Jlin?? Before it started pouring and the temperature plummeted. So it goes back to 2016 at least.

I agree that the footwork tropes are mostly not present, with a more Jlin influenced sound. But I did want to point out, there's a filter modulated vocal-stuttering bit at like 01:04 in Abundance, which sounds very like DJ Diamond - Flight Muzik. DJ Diamond has toured with Jlin though, and I think she has probably used that sound a bit.

But yeah, it seems like there has probably been some back and forth between Jlin and Richy. I wonder if she's talked about the EP at all on social media or whatever

Archived