IGNORED

jordan peterson

dingformung

i think it's pretty telling that when you google peterson and zizek debate, you find no think pieces or editorials talking about it except some meme ridden journalism-lite page formatted for mobile and not for desktop browsers. 

i think it's pretty telling that when you google peterson and zizek debate, you find no think pieces or editorials talking about it except some meme ridden journalism-lite page formatted for mobile and not for desktop browsers.

yea that link was actually the first article recommended to me on this debate from google news

pathetic to the point where one might really feel sorry for peterson. zizek even tries to help him make a point once in a while, but that guy obviously doesn't know the first thing about anything he tries to say.

like someone getting in the ring with a professional heavy weight boxer after watching some self-defence tutorial on youtube.

he polemically keeps criticising some simplified vulgar form of Marxism with remarkable intellectual piteousness and that's basically his whole point

I'm really disappointed that zizek didn't make this more apparent and especially that he didn't lay out how a communist society would be better in the specifics, I guess he assumes people know the tired criticisms of capitalism?

I mean is apparent from what jordan thinks and from the crowds reaction that this simplified vulgar form of marxism is what most people think marxism is. (edit: maybe not "most people", but u get what I mean)

Edited by MIXL2

Whether you like Zizek or not, putting Peterson in the same room as him is a win for Peterson.

I understand what you mean, but after watching the debate it’s kind of hard to spin it into a win for Peterson. It seemed like he’s giving up, tbh

JP can sound reasonable when he stays in his lane as a psychologist. 

I actually found out about this guy through all of the criticism of him as a this gateway alt-right figure awhile back and yet the only people I know IRL who watch his interviews or saw him lecture are liberal and/or leftist. The one friend I know who saw him live mentioned that he was introduced by some local right-wing talk show and was caught off guard by it. 

I'm curious how much of his audience follows him for his purely intellectual insights, even if they are flawed. Everything beyond it is this haphazard, knee-jerk and contradictory political commentary. It's got the same snark, albeit covered in this thick veneer of Canadian politeness and even some substantive intellect, as shit like Ben Shapiro or Rubin or [insert some right-wing stooge]. I've heard other leftists say the same of Sam Harris and before him to some degree Hitchens (who faults aside is far superior to Peterson). 

On the other hand I'm really only now getting into Zizeck earnestly, seems like a good intro to him. Admittedly I felt like his stuff used to go above me head academically. Post-Obama and Post-Trump I'm finding him a lot more accessible.

Edited by joshuatx
  • Like 1

the neoliberal left you mean

I don't know what that is but no the left left.

pls read this so we are in the same page

Alright since the JBP thread was locked ostensibly for being redundant or something, let's just have a thread where we can discuss stuff. Alright I'll start.

Here is an interesting article that posits a framework for understanding the clusterfuck that is the "left" these days: http://theamericanreader.com/jenesuispasliberal-entering-the-quagmire-of-online-leftism/

Classifying leftist ideology in a framework of agency and trust, I find a buried contradiction at the heart of anti-oppressive activism, one in which practitioners pathologically self-position themselves in a space of chronic moral jeopardy.

auerbach.jpg

Populism as a leftist ideology? WTF!?

Yeah sure lets start on the same page :cerious:

what are you on about? read the bloody thing, populism means to pander to the people which is a tool that can and has been used by the left jeez

edit: I realize I should have said the moralist left on my previous post soz

Edited by MIXL2

Not arsed to read, tbh.

It's blindingly obvious populism is wilfully blind to left/right. It's both left and right, and neither. It shouldn't be in the image. Putting it in some graph about leftist ideologies is a sign of old world thinking.

A graph like that really doesn't help me believe I should read that piece.

Not arsed to read, tbh.

It's blindingly obvious populism is wilfully blind to left/right. It's both left and right, and neither. It shouldn't be in the image. Putting it in some graph about leftist ideologies is a sign of old world thinking.

A graph like that really doesn't help me believe I should read that piece.

I mean.. the whole point of it is to explain how the landscape of "the left" looks like currently and why there is a divide (which there is), edit: ah I see what you mean now -  the point of the article is not to call out populism as leftist ideology but rather identify different clusters of leftist thought and what divides them in the world today, one of these uses (or has traditionally used) populism to achieve their political goals - the others don't

merge this thread w smartypants thread pls

Edited by MIXL2

Zizek is a windbag with no qualms about talking vehemently about things he knows nothing about. Just listen to him talking about depleted bee populations. Plus he hates Chomsky, so he can shove it IMO.