IGNORED

Beck asked RDJ to produce an album for him in 1998

joshuatxuk

11 hours ago, Stickfigger said:

I saw Beck in 2012 and I dunno, someone said there was something wrong with his back ? But he looked very sad on stage and it was when he was releasing "very serious" music and it was all a bit sad 

He has a spine injury from a video shoot back in the days. I used to be a massive fan, but I sort of gave him up after Guero. I gave his last album a spin, but nah. What I need is another album like Mutations and Sea Change. Stripped down alt folk/country singer songwriter-Beck. What I don't need is Pharrell produced synthpop-Beck.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guero was the first misstep for me, or at least the first album that made me think he was beginning to repeat ideas. Then Colors was the first album I actively disliked and never bought (apart from Dreams which was great). Dont want to sound too snarky cause the dudes a genius but theres something unbecoming about being a pop star in your late 40s... trying to crowbar in trap beats/chillwave style synths cause theyre hot, reminds me of Bowie trying to do d'n'b in the mid 90s. Beck needs to put down the autotune and get weird again.

8 hours ago, flim said:

Yeah, I can see why you'd say that. It sounds and feels like a real remix to me, but... I mean, it's more of a remix than either of those supposed Nine Inch Nails mixes.

The Nine Inch Nails remix has  entire original song sped up so fast it was compressed into  single snare hit so.......

dunno why but i always thought of Bogdan Raczynski as the IDM/braindance Beck. doing for cheesy techno trash about relationships and japanese vocal samples what Beck did for country western stereotypes, both of them sticking it to the commercialization of MTV and the Ibiza scene.

I don't know anything about this dude and his life apart from he made two genuine classic albums a long, long time ago.

Seems as though since then he sold his soul to Scientology, obviously he should of sold it to Satan instead.

As the old saying the Devil has the best tunes. 

Though Nobody's Fault But My Own is classic, and I'm playing it right now! It's a bit like a track of Mellow Gold mixed in with elements of The End (one of the greatest tracks of all time)

Fuck Yeah!!!!!!!

In the deepest darkest corner of Hexagon Sun Studios Mike and Marcus are stroking their fine beards and concentrating on another epic production that only their best friends will get to listen to. They are concentrating very hard as they are planning to play it live to only their exclusive clique of best friends. 

Beck is fucking a goat in the Hexagon Sun meadow.

33 minutes ago, beer badger said:

I don't know anything about this dude and his life apart from he made two genuine classic albums a long, long time ago.

Seems as though since then he sold his soul to Scientology, obviously he should of sold it to Satan instead.

As the old saying the Devil has the best tunes. 

Though Nobody's Fault But My Own is classic, and I'm playing it right now! It's a bit like a track of Mellow Gold mixed in with elements of The End (one of the greatest tracks of all time)

Fuck Yeah!!!!!!!

He was born into Scientology, he turned away from it for about a decade and produced some really successful albums a lot of people like, then went back to it in the late 90s or early 2000s.

I enjoyed Sea Change because it didn't sound like a Beck album at all, it sounded like one of those depressive early 70s folk records, mostly because his dad (also a scientologist) did all the arrangements.  The actual songs were supposedly written in 5 days after he broke up with Drew Barrymore or something.  That's all I know about Beck, other than the stuff I linked.

EDIT:  IMO the best Beck song is still Pepper.

2 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

He was born into Scientology, he turned away from it for about a decade and produced some really successful albums a lot of people like, then went back to it in the late 90s or early 2000s.

I enjoyed Sea Change because it didn't sound like a Beck album at all, it sounded like one of those depressive early 70s folk records, mostly because his dad (also a scientologist) did all the arrangements.  The actual songs were supposedly written in 5 days after he broke up with Drew Barrymore or something.  That's all I know about Beck, other than the stuff I linked.

EDIT:  IMO the best Beck song is still Pepper.

It wasn't Drew Barrymore, it was Leigh Limon, his girlfriend for like 8 years or something. She was the one who inspired him to make Midnite Vultures, one of his WORST albums ever.

17 hours ago, flim said:

It wasn't Drew Barrymore, it was Leigh Limon, his girlfriend for like 8 years or something. She was the one who inspired him to make Midnite Vultures, one of his WORST albums ever.

Just because your born into a shit religion does it mean you can then be excused for peddling it's shit? 

I'm not sure about that personally. 

TrueDetective-rust-cohle-s1.png

Edit: Quoted the wrong person there sorry. That was @tubular corporation

Someone’s ears were ringing because of this thread...

https://www.stereogum.com/2065897/beck-says-hes-not-a-scientologist/news/

Famous Scientologist Beck claims that he is not, in fact, a Scientologist. “I think there’s a misconception that I am a Scientologist,” he says in a new profile in The Sydney Morning Herald. “I’m not a Scientologist. I don’t have any connection or affiliation with it. My father has been a Scientologist for a long time, but I’ve pretty much just focused on my music and my work for most of my life, and tended to do my own thing … I think it’s just something people ran with.”

No one here has yet mentioned “The Information”, which I think is waaay underrated and the soundtrack to a couple of my most stoned college years. 

Anyway, I agree with most that he has fallen way off and that it is cringeworthy when he tries to appropriate the modem kids’ styles. 

On 11/21/2019 at 9:53 PM, hijexx said:

That Boards of Canada Broken Drum remix tho...

Not sure what Beck was thinking to ask RDJ. He should have asked Boc to do an album. Would have been gr8. I'm actually bothered that he didn't ask them, tbh... ?

2 hours ago, Amen Warrior said:

Can anyone find that really old interview with beck where the interviewer asks what is real name is and he just takes off his shoe and throws it at the wall.

And the interview nods and goes "right on" or something like that

I knew there were other genuine reasons to dislike him. Scientolotit and shoe thrower. 

Archived