IGNORED

Artists that went big after starting online.

bendish

Billie Eilish. Was discovered on SoundCloud and got discovered there.

Can’t for the life of me imagine why. Isn’t SoundCloud full of singers like her?

But anyway, there you have it.

Blank Banshee, originally a vaporwave artist he's now alot closer to idm and ambient. He started by just dropping his debut mixtape, and he ended up getting popular enough to start a label to release his music and doing a world tour.

Unknown Mortal Orchestra

(started typing "Immortal death" before remember their actual project name.  Someone should name something "Immortal Death")

Is this thread intended to give us all a tiny sliver of hope?

A friend of mine from high school started by posting some tunes on SoundCloud, then eventually her music was used by some famous internet dance crew, and then she did Coachella lol. She regularly tours the US but she's still completely under the radar in France ! Her name is CloZee, she's a talented glitch hop producer !

3 hours ago, KingBo0 said:

Blank Banshee, originally a vaporwave artist he's now alot closer to idm and ambient. He started by just dropping his debut mixtape, and he ended up getting popular enough to start a label to release his music and doing a world tour.

my mind immediately jumps to specifics in cases like this - maybe it shouldnt. but like, where did he drop the mixtape? bandcamp? some rando just uploaded a mixtape to bandcamp and it got massive? 

6 hours ago, Bodhidharma said:

some rando just uploaded a mixtape to bandcamp and it got massive? 

Yes lol. It was around the time vaporwave was starting to get big, so that obviously contributed to it. It's also just a very quality debut mixtape.

What do we consider “big”?

Trackermatte, EOD, and Impakt imo got a lot of traction from these forums imo. ?‍♂️

Tons or other forumites on the top of my playlist that I consider “big” but maybe haven’t found commercial success. ?

Just now, Hugh Mughnus said:

What do we consider “big”?

Trackermatte, EOD, and Impakt imo got a lot of traction from these forums imo. ?‍♂️

Tons or other forumites on the top of my playlist that I consider “big” but maybe haven’t found commercial success. ?

I guess these guys are still super underground unknown

Yea commercial success is the standard

No this thread is not to give us hope...that's long gone.

12 hours ago, Candiru said:

Beethoven

No, Beethoven uploaded his massive SoundCloud dump *after* he put out a bunch of albums on Warp. This thread is asking about people who did it *before*.

The Weeknd is a great example. Uploaded a few tracks from his early mixtapes online and got picked up by Drake I think (might be the one good thing Drake has done in his career). 

Archived