IGNORED

VHS Head - Phocus (out 7th April 2023)

YELLOW

I think it's a worthy addition to the discography. I think VHS Head is one of those artists who you can take any track and it would fit on any of their albums - he is stylistically and thematically consistent to a tee. I suppose your milage may vary on whether or not you get bored of it, but theres enough interesting melodies and rhythms buried in these tracks to keep me listening, personally. If your criticisms are that he is not developing his sound quickly enough, you must also remember this release was stuck in label limbo for a few years.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Worlds Most Johnsson said:

Aah! First time I've heard Vagina singing on any of his tracks ?

I suppose it subtly answers to the question if it is a male or a female.

On a side note can't get enough of Zagatile Marionette. Love the vibe in that one. Really dig this album.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 5/29/2023 at 5:42 AM, Key said:

I think it's a worthy addition to the discography. I think VHS Head is one of those artists who you can take any track and it would fit on any of their albums - he is stylistically and thematically consistent to a tee. I suppose your milage may vary on whether or not you get bored of it, but theres enough interesting melodies and rhythms buried in these tracks to keep me listening, personally. If your criticisms are that he is not developing his sound quickly enough, you must also remember this release was stuck in label limbo for a few years.

I disagree a little bit.

TROG is such a fun album, even on the darker tracks. It shimmers everywhere and drops into tons of fun hooks, at least in my opinion, it's an album that feels openly like a love letter to the past and the media used to create it.

POV is funky. I know I've listened to this album the least, but it's always come across with the most funk and drip in its sounds, again in my opinion. It feels like it starts somewhere, dips down into a trough, and scoops itself back from front to back.

Phocus has been a lot of fun on repeat listens, really leaning into its concept of the soundtrack to a movie that never came out. It leans more into making some tracks more of "bangers" than throwing hooks forward, there's more squelching sounds, and it utilizes some ride percussion samples (which I think is a first).

Maybe I'm talking out of my ass, I enjoy all of his music though and am always glad to hear more come from his stylings.

Ok i concede a little, maybe I haven't been listening as closely as you. My first impression on the album was that it sounded like a continuation on the Sarah Eat Neon EP that had lots of that loud distorted male voiceover, then I thought hmmm maybe its a bit darker than the other albums, but then I thought FFS theyre all bloody dark.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 5:54 AM, Key said:

Ok i concede a little, maybe I haven't been listening as closely as you. My first impression on the album was that it sounded like a continuation on the Sarah Eat Neon EP that had lots of that loud distorted male voiceover, then I thought hmmm maybe its a bit darker than the other albums, but then I thought FFS theyre all bloody dark.

It's all good, your opinion is valid. I really enjoyed the Sarah Eat Neon EP too, but hadn't thought of it much in context of the album thus far.

• Like 1

'Phocus' is a wonderful album.

QFT. It took a while to soak in, but I definitely rate it up there with the first 2.  Some of it may seem simple or familiar at first but there's so much depth to uncover.  Just noticed @Key's comment above saying the same thing more/less/better lol

• 2 months later...

Had my first couple listens yesterday.  Been listening to TROG and POV earlier in the week to whet my appetite.  The beats are a lot less busy on this one, which allows more room for the VHS collage to shine through.  Each track has more of its own identity because of that.  Like if I think of the other albums, it all kind of blurs together into one thing.  These tracks are easier to conjure to memory as individual pieces.  I think that's the album's strength.  There's not a lot of clutter beyond what's needed.  I love the maximalist chaos of the first two albums as well - creates that sensory overload thing you get with ads, channel surfing, movies, etc.  But this is a cool counterpoint to that.  Also, some really excellent synth bass lines.  I feel like there's more of his own compositional additions this time around, rather than relying as much on the sound collage aspect.... and there's still plenty of that.  It's great.  I like it as much as anything else he's done.  As much as I love the other two albums, I would have been disappointed if it were just more of the same.  It's still very much a part of that universe, but restructured just enough to keep things interesting.  I'm listening in headphones right now for the first time, and the mix is really fucking nice.  As a producer this is quite inspiring to listen to.  Considering how much is going on, it's astounding how perfectly everything sits in its own place.  This sets the bar really high.

• Like 3
  • Burger 1

• 1 month later...

Just now seeing this on his “threads” account. Ugh, too much social media to keep track of. I heard it may see a November release date but I’m not holding my breath

IMG_4847.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Farnsworth 1

• 2 weeks later...