IGNORED

Ultrademon - Voidic Charms

Guest jasondonervan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'v caned it over several days and I give it a solid "quite good". It sounds a lot like Seapunk outtakes and sketches which, thanks to that being a bangin album, is not an altogether bad thing. Somebody mentioned some mix issues and I agree. I don't know if Grant and Rich give the pro mastering treatment to the tracks they want to release for their roster but there is a noticeable difference in sound quality between the 2 releases.

I disagree. This is an evolution of his sound. Now Seapunk sounds "old" to me. I can't stop playing Drive U Crazy, Ultrademon Killin' It, Vine Hung Horizon and Nautical Elves. Don't get me wrong: I love Seapunk. Dolphin was, in late June and early July, always the first song I put on when I got in the car (and was driving somewhere by myself); Indoctrinated my friends into the seapunk cult before Voidic Charms came out via Bahrain, Dolphin, Automatic etc. Repeatedly.

The "tender" / "slow" moments of Voidic Charms outclass songs from Seapunk like Post Solstice; there is more going on.

I played Beyond Sorrow at least a hundred times this summer driving around by myself (remain underwater, Ursula, flounder (a youtube rip, I ain't above it)).

Voidic Charms is more cohesive, varied and complex than Seapunk imo. I like/love both.

*I've been listening to Voidic Charms in my car and on my Sennheiser 280s, not my home system

I'v caned it over several days and I give it a solid "quite good". It sounds a lot like Seapunk outtakes and sketches which, thanks to that being a bangin album, is not an altogether bad thing. Somebody mentioned some mix issues and I agree. I don't know if Grant and Rich give the pro mastering treatment to the tracks they want to release for their roster but there is a noticeable difference in sound quality between the 2 releases.

I disagree. This is an evolution of his sound. Now Seapunk sounds "old" to me. I can't stop playing Drive U Crazy, Ultrademon Killin' It, Vine Hung Horizon and Nautical Elves. Don't get me wrong: I love Seapunk. Dolphin was, in late June and early July, always the first song I put on when I got in the car (and was driving somewhere by myself); Indoctrinated my friends into the seapunk cult before Voidic Charms came out via Bahrain, Dolphin, Automatic etc. Repeatedly.

The "tender" / "slow" moments of Voidic Charms outclass songs from Seapunk like Post Solstice; there is more going on.

I played Beyond Sorrow at least a hundred times this summer driving around by myself (remain underwater, Ursula, flounder (a youtube rip, I ain't above it)).

Voidic Charms is more cohesive, varied and complex than Seapunk imo. I like/love both.

*I've been listening to Voidic Charms in my car and on my Sennheiser 280s, not my home system

remain underwater, Ursula, *Flounder

Meh I think xxx has a point about Seapunk sounding more polished, glossy or whatever, more like a big commercial release in terms of mixing/mastering.

The new one sounds a bit lower-fi or drier and arguably 'older', also due to the fact that more of the tracks here come close to being straight house tracks compared to Seapunk.

It's a very good album, I happen to like the housier tracks especially.

I really really like the album, but I will say, the vocals and mastering on drive u crazy aren't the best, even a friend who doesn't produce or care that much pointed out that the vocals in particular on that track are too busy and often muddying up the same frequency range.

Now that I have that out of my system, I will go back to listening without a care

Ultrademon Killin' It is groovy for sure. As to the sound issue, I like the production on Voidic Charms. It's quite straight and clean. There could be a bit more BANG and depth to it but hey, this is his second album and he is still very young. If he doesn't turn into another typical house act, I think he has a bright future. I don't understand why some of you guys fell for Drive U Crazy. It's the album's radio-friendly, predictable pop song. I agree with Audioblysk, the vocals are blah. Unless he wants to become the next David Guetta, I hope he won't go down that road and make full albums of Drive U Crazy. I prefer when he does his own thing and surprise me.

I had some real trouble with Seapunk's somewhat loud and modern production, something a Rephlex release normally doesn't really have? On Voidic Charms it sounds a little bit nicer to the ears on the first listen, liking it so far :) that Step Into Liquid remix is ace!

edit: ok, 10 points less in Voidic Charms total score because of that Queen sample in the last track.

Video for Drive U Crazy http://www.dazeddigital.com/music/article/21040/1/watch-ultrademons-glitchy-and-hyperreal-new-video

edit: ok, 10 points less in Voidic Charms total score because of that Queen sample in the last track.

Hahaha that one is tough. I'll give it to him because I know that his tongue is often firmly in cheek with a lot of his stuff but I have to skip it when I'm listening.

Haha exactly! Luckily it's the last track on the album :biggrin:

Not sure if this actually is a collection of b-sides from seapunk or actually a evolution of his sound. To me a lot of the synth patterns sound alike but it's the same with seapunk. On the other hand this guy suprises me nicely from time to time...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So did this get physical ever? No I take it?

I doubt it ever will. It kind of feels like he just remixed a bunch of songs off his original debut. Best just pick up this cassette, this sounds more original. http://hyperboloid.ru/album/the-xvx-files-ep

Cheers! Thanks for the tape info. I was wondering about that. Had a listen and not really feeling it (but my emotions are pretty numb right now). Did order Seapunk, Japanese CD today though finally. That should be nice!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived