IGNORED

RSD 2015

Rubin Farr

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Record Store Day has become a farce. Nothing but an opportunity for larger labels to shill reissues of shite with a gimmick, and for eBay/Discogs users to flip purchases for mega money, all the while causing delays for smaller labels trying to press new material.

Yeah yeah, it might be helping keep the record shops afloat, but I get the feeling that the majority of the crowd who buy on RSD wouldn't continually buy records throughout the rest of the year, making the whole thing just a big joke.

/cynicism

My Twitter feed for the last month has been largely composed of indie label owners bitching about how bad RSD fucks with their record release schedules, with larger labels paying money to get precedence in the few remaining pressing plants, and represses of shitty classic rock albums taking up valuable shelf space in record shops.

One described it like "taking the same train to work every day but then for 2 months out of the year you're kicked off so they can cart a bunch of tourists around".

Yeah it's a weird thing indeed...

But dammit all do I want that Polaris record! They (corporate overlords) didn't send any copies to Memphis where I am. Also I picked up Commissions 1 last year but nope, no copies of this either.

Every year I plan to go with a few vinyl loving mates but we always opt to go a week later or so. Last year we did visit almost every record store in Amsterdam on RSD, but we were a bit annoyed because it was basically a normal shopping day, only way more crowded and bands (mostly singer songwriter acts I'm not into) that are playing right in front of the sections you want to dig in. Did see Jungle By Night play in front of Rush Hour which was great.

The only RSD exclusive record I've purchased was Fela Kuti's Sorrow Tears and Blood, still very happy with that one. Besides that, I don't really care for expensive picture discs or other fancy stuff, or basically RSD in general :)

Nothing but an opportunity for larger labels to shill reissues of shite with a gimmick, and for eBay/Discogs users to flip purchases for mega money, all the while causing delays for smaller labels trying to press new material.

And this, unfortunately. It'll sort itself out eventually though, already enough labels or shops coming up with their own solutions for some of these issues and in a few years the vinyl hype for mainstream audiences will hopefully cool down a bit. Or it'll only get worse / more popular, in which case it's great to just stay at home on RSD + see your fave shops doing well :)

It's pretty much the end of the working day and only 6 posts here (well 7 including this).... Yep the RSD bubble definitely has burst, good riddance to a loada shite !

Happy record store day everyone

CC5RK-bWIAEsE_D.png

Apparently Permanent Records in LA has/had copies of Pete&Pete - really the only release I want this year. Anyone around there want to help me out?

This ultimately helps record stores though, seeing as some make just as much money in a day than they do the whole rest of the year... if hurting indie/small labels and Tru Vinyl Fanz in the process is worth it, that I don't know

Worst thing is that people are stupidly buying the inflated offers for these making them harder to price for folks in the future who may go by eBay completed listings. So the $20 record I waited in line this morning to find out no one in the area had is now forever going to be in the $70-? range.

This ultimately helps record stores though, seeing as some make just as much money in a day than they do the whole rest of the year... if hurting indie/small labels and Tru Vinyl Fanz in the process is worth it, that I don't know

lol @ Tru Vinyl Fanz :p honestly, I am more concerned about the small labels and artists. Of course, the proper vinyl listeners are getting screwed over here for the inflated prices, but it kinda comes with the territory anyway, so we kind of expect it to a certain degree.

But the small labels and artists that are hurt from this is the sadder thing. I've heard of quite a few artists thinking of throwing in the towel and quitting releasing (at least physical formats) due to the amount of stress RSD causes.

Mr. Lopatin suckered me into it again. Got to Soundgarden at 10, waited in line for 3 hours, and left with 1 RSD release and a few other LPs that I've been meaning to get. Bjork, Burial, and Bellows all arrived from Boomkat today (timely!), so I'm including them in my RSD haul.

KnxWxOSl.jpg

Panabrite - Pavilion

The Wire - Holly Herndon issue

Bjork - Homogenic

Demdike Stare - Testpressing #007

Boards of Canada - Twoism

Boards of Canada - In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country

Lee Gamble - Dutch Tvashar Plumes

Oneohtrix Point Never - Commissions II

Aphex Twin - Marchromt30a Edit 2b 96

69GVZwGl.jpg

Burial - Street Halo

Bellows - Rustl

The wait in line was the worst part, but luckily it was/is beautiful out today. Soundgarden only lets in ~15 people at a time into its vinyl section during RSD, so it was a little frustrating watching people take their time browsing some of the cheesier RSD releases, but that's their thing and they were having a good time.

I get the RSD hate, but I also dig the revenue boost for the stores. Everybody needs to just quit buying the shitty RSD releases and pare it down to the interesting stuff.

I get the RSD hate, but I also dig the revenue boost for the stores. Everybody needs to just quit buying the shitty RSD releases and pare it down to the interesting stuff.

but the problem is that it's all hype, for one day, and it is all complete bullshit. Everyone just needs to quit buying on Record Store Day entirely. Go to the record store any other week, except for this week. It's like warehouse raves all over again.

Surely there must be a way to go about this that still benefits record stores but doesn't screw over costumers and artists like it does, but then again, buyers vote with their money, and the big labels won't be hearing any of it as long as they keep making mad dosh out of shitty picture discs with tracks you could get on vinyl from the dollar bin

I would like the Young Turks RSD release but I was took hungover to go to the shop.

MIght be able to pick it up later or possibly online somewhere for not a scalping price.

but the problem is that it's all hype, for one day, and it is all complete bullshit. Everyone just needs to quit buying on Record Store Day entirely. Go to the record store any other week, except for this week. It's like warehouse raves all over again.

Eh, I disagree; certainly not "all complete bullshit." Certain RSD releases are very limited, but that's nothing new; presses of <1000 are seen on the web everyday, all year round. Stores can leverage that limited availability and this "holiday" to get vinyl n00bz in to pick up additional records, talk with staff, or see/support local music. I feel like RSD has to have caused at least /some/ of the attendees to become a bit more regular in their visits.

I understand the yearly pressing crunch reasoning, but there isn't much anybody can do about that until new presses are put into production.

I would like to hear more of your reasoning though.

Eh, I disagree; certainly not "all complete bullshit." Certain RSD releases are very limited, but that's nothing new; presses of <1000 are seen on the web everyday, all year round. Stores can leverage that limited availability and this "holiday" to get vinyl n00bz in to pick up additional records, talk with staff, or see/support local music. I feel like RSD has to have caused at least /some/ of the attendees to become a bit more regular in their visits.

I understand the yearly pressing crunch reasoning, but there isn't much anybody can do about that until new presses are put into production.

I would like to hear more of your reasoning though.

I would like to say more, but can't right now due to the joys of having to work in a call centre at the weekend.

I'll write some more ramblings here when I can though.

Record Store Day has become a farce. Nothing but an opportunity for larger labels to shill reissues of shite with a gimmick, and for eBay/Discogs users to flip purchases for mega money, all the while causing delays for smaller labels trying to press new material.

Yeah yeah, it might be helping keep the record shops afloat, but I get the feeling that the majority of the crowd who buy on RSD wouldn't continually buy records throughout the rest of the year, making the whole thing just a big joke.

/cynicism

Or you could just go to eastern bloc and party outside in the sunshine when Todd Terry pops in unexpectedly and plays a set.

Archived