IGNORED

Ae Interview

Kavinsky

I´ve recorded an 1 hour Ae special from the Austrian radiostation Ö1.
sadly most of the talk is overdubbed but i will translate some parts.
they spoke about their beginnings, production techniques and their thoughts about current electronic music also Sean has 2 kids.

http://www.filedropper.com/aeinterview03092015

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone kind enough to write up a translation?

I'm almost finished with the German transcript (almost 2000 words), I'll translate the whole thing in the next few days.

Btw it was Rob who said he has two kids (;

I'm almost finished with the German transcript (almost 2000 words), I'll translate the whole thing in the next few days.

yeah Sean even pm about that

Thanks so much

In the recording that Kavinsky posted @ 9:05mins Sean mentions some software, sounds like "Vismod" or "Fismod". Google doesn't give me anything, does anyone know which software he's referring to?

I think he says physmod = physical modeling.

What he talks about is how ppl use phys mod to literally recreate traditional instruments, without playing around with it.

Pardon my Austrian, it's my third language. Anyways, here's the intro:

...or are they already dancing? That's how Music journalist David Yog (?) in 2001 concluded the sole achievment of the electronic duo Autechre, founded in 1987. They paved the way from hardware to software. With Autechre guitar amps and keyboard presets are replaced by comb filters, Gaussian curves and granular synthesis in the popular music. Autechre also brought a great seriousness into the electronic dance music. This seriousness wasn't caused by the negation of popular content, as some media tried to explain, rather by trying to bridge the gap between between the club culture and electro acoustic music. Which we can hear in the track recks on, from their recent album Exai. Heinrich Deisl wishes us welcome to his Zeit-Ton portrait of Autechre.

In the recording that Kavinsky posted @ 9:05mins Sean mentions some software, sounds like "Vismod" or "Fismod". Google doesn't give me anything, does anyone know which software he's referring to?

I think he says physmod = physical modeling.

What he talks about is how ppl use phys mod to literally recreate traditional instruments, without playing around with it.

that makes sense thx for clarifying. I'm almost finished with translating the interview snippets btw, i'll upload it sometime tomorrow.

OK, I'll leave it then, just did the second part.

Rob Brown and Sam Booth (sic) originate from the Manchester area. Along with Aphex Twin, Autechre are counted among the most prominant representatives of the so called Electronica music genre. They have released eleven albums on the English label Warp since 1993, and have released as many EPs. During their current European tour they played at the Donau Festical in Krems. There they gave the Zeit-Ton one of their rare interviews. Starting this broadcast, we'll go to their 1991 track Bronchus One.1, which also appeared on the second part of the a-chronology compilation series on the SubRosa label. In the booklet for the 2003 compilation Guy Mark Hinant writes about Autechre: "The result of their rhythmic and timbral textures is composed of subtle abstraction and the feeling of a complex geometry". To Hinant the artistic impetus of the band is a combination of minimalism and complexity. (something too complex for my feeble brain). Thereby opening up pathways to electro, which is what the musicians in their middle 40s keep returning to when they discuss their "socializing music". The second part of the upcoming track was released on their first LP Incunabula from 1993.

yep. thanks for this! went right under my radar.

also the editor (?) makes a sad example of the germglish prevailing in this country of ours...

Ok here's the english version, I think it all makes sense but ofc some things got lost, translating from english to german back to english. I used Sean and Robs original answers whenever you could hear them before or after the german overdub.

AE Interview (Ö1 Zeit-Ton, 3.9.2015) English.pdf

Archived