IGNORED

Mogwai - As The Love Continues

Diurn

Definitely into this record. More than I expected. First 4 tracks are ace, then Drive The Nail seems a bit of a dud, plods about a lot not achieving much during its life span. Then we’re up and firing on all cylinders again. I haven’t worked out the second half so much but Ceiling Granny and Midnight Flit seem to sound absolutely spot on. Wow, seems like high grade Mogwai.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Currently listening... holding off on forming too much of an opinion til after it's done playing thru

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, scumtron said:

Ceiling Granny sounds like a Siamese Dream outtake. I mean that as a compliment.

you are not alone in that assessment. I thought the exact same thing the first time I heard it. and one of the reviews I read of the album mentioned this as well.

I also was listening to this last night and damn, that track is such a tune. by the end of it I was air drumming something fierce, then the wife walks by the doorway and caught me right in the act. head banging, arms flailing, and she stood there and starred at me for a sec. I stopped and looked at her, let out a "ha," then she shook her head and walked away.

• Haha 1

Happy Songs will always be my favorite Mogwai album because it came out during a really transformational year in my life.

I revisited Young Team today for the first time in a while and I forgot how good it is!! Mogwai Fear Satan has gotta be their best album closer and arguments could be made for it being their best overall track. It fuckin rocks, man.

4 hours ago, hello spiral said:

CODY is best album

I used to think the same, but now...idk. they've released so many fantastic albums over the past 20+ years. I do think CODY is the most cohesive in terms of sound palette compared to the more "variety pack" approach their albums have taken since then. and I hold it in high regard as that is where I started with them. but I rarely come back to it any more, and am a fan of the direction they went in since their '90s guitar driven quiet/loud/quiet albums came out.

This is my favorite release by Mogwai in a very long time.
I always find something to love about their records but this one is really consistent for me. 

Their live shows always deliver. Even the songs i consider "duds" on the records sound incredible in person.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...