I'll have to try it next time I'm downtown... used to live closer to there but I never would have thought to go there (I think I had them confused with that "vegan butcher" place which is called something else..) lol

edit: damn page break, this was re: @Zephyr_Nova

Edited by toaoaoad

10 minutes ago, iococoi said:

A buddy of mine and I were thinking about doing some steaks in the dishwasher in lieu of a sous vide cooker.  The theory was that we’d get it close and finish it off on the grill. We ultimately decided not to because we had no idea what we were doing but I still wonder if it would have worked. 

• Big Brain 1

2 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

A buddy of mine and I were thinking about doing some steaks in the dishwasher in lieu of a sous vide cooker.  The theory was that we’d get it close and finish it off on the grill. We ultimately decided not to because we had no idea what we were doing but I still wonder if it would have worked. 

...why not. those sous vide things are sealed and if u put them in right after the rinse cycle...temp might be to low for meat though..

12 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

I'll have to try it next time I'm downtown... used to live closer to there but I never would have thought to go there (I think I had them confused with that "vegan butcher" place which is called something else..) lol

edit: damn page break, this was re: @Zephyr_Nova

I tried the Vegan Butcher just last week for the first time.  Had some jalapeno burger thing.  It was pretty good, but about $5 more than it was worth in satisfaction.  We're talking almost $20 with no side.  Would not order again, unless on sale for half price.

*The Good Butchers is the name of the vegan one.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

26 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I tried the Vegan Butcher just last week for the first time.  Had some jalapeno burger thing.  It was pretty good, but about $5 more than it was worth in satisfaction.  We're talking almost $20 with no side.  Would not order again, unless on sale for half price.

*The Good Butchers is the name of the vegan one.

yeah I can't believe prices now. it was ridiculous to begin with, and then COVID, inflation... i rarely go to restaurants anymore and don't really order in either, so every time i do go back out it's this shock like everything is a dollar more each time. $20 for a friggin vegan burger with no side, this is "the new normal" lol

on that note, someone recently told me this is coming:

https://www.victoriabuzz.com/2022/01/theres-a-brand-new-fast-food-burger-joint-coming-to-victoria-and-its-vegan/

• Burger 1

12 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

yeah I can't believe prices now. it was ridiculous to begin with, and then COVID, inflation... i rarely go to restaurants anymore and don't really order in either, so every time i do go back out it's this shock like everything is a dollar more each time. $20 for a friggin vegan burger with no side, this is "the new normal" lol

on that note, someone recently told me this is coming:

https://www.victoriabuzz.com/2022/01/theres-a-brand-new-fast-food-burger-joint-coming-to-victoria-and-its-vegan/

These last few months man, food prices are crazy! Victoria is bad but Vancouver is supposed to be worse

I've joked I want to move somewhere else but all my friends and family are here so that won't happen. Maybe I should start buying scratch tickets? 

On 1/27/2022 at 2:13 AM, Zephyr_Nova said:

Almost all fast food burgers are borderline inedible.  I can't imagine this one being any worse.  If it's open late, I will try.

I still think A&W is decent, and I always liked DQ burgers although I never go there anymore. But yeah pretty much everything else is garbage.  (Well ok the slightly more bougey fast food like Fatburger and Johnny Rocket are decent as well but it has still been a few years at least).  But yeah the last few times I ate Burger King or McDonalds I'd get this sickly feeling, not like stomach sick but more like energy sick, kinda dizzy and fucked up...very unsettling.

On 1/27/2022 at 2:54 PM, yekker said:

These last few months man, food prices are crazy! Victoria is bad but Vancouver is supposed to be worse

Oh man, even the fuckin price of milk has gone up. I thought milk pricing was stable, guess not, it shot up 30 cents and then another 30 cents like maybe a month later. It's madness.  I thought things were actually better on the mainland since we pay for shipping to the island or whatever. But I wouldn't be surprised it's bad there too. It's bad everywhere. I want to move too but having a place to live at all seems like a luxury right now.

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

A&W is the best of the classic megacorp fast food chains.  Fat Burger and Johnny Rocket seem like another category somehow, maybe just because Victoria didn't have either until fairly recently, and I've never seen either advertised anywhere.  Fat Burger is as expensive as a regular restaurant too, which is a fast food faux pas.  Johnny Rocket makes a damn good burger, I must say.  Destroys all the old-school chains.

• 1 month later...