IGNORED

Anyone else want more Shobaleader One?/What do we want next outta Tom?

splesh

D'demonstrator was released 13 years ago. Elektrac was only six years ago but consisted of pre-Shobaleader material. As much as I enjoyed Be Up a Hello and its accompanying EP, Lamental, it certainly wasn't much new terrain. But even as far as retreading older sounds, it wasn't exactly terribly exciting, either. What I could really go for is more in the sound world of say, Budakhan Mindphone or something. Heck even as far as recent new sounds of Tom's, I liked Damogen Furies more than most people I can think of... Something altogether new couldn't hurt

Edited by splesh
  • Like 2

Go Plastic b-sides + archives and out takes

and more of the hard weird acid breaks and stuff or whatever he's into. not interested in more shobaleader stuff. want 100% tom doing the machine daddy.. or whatever he's into at the time. really..  people like him and afx and Ae.. just put stuff out.. i'll check it out.. usually i'll love it or like it or dig it or become obsessed w/it now or 2 years from when it's released.. but there's a couple from squarepusher that i didn't jell with too much but was won back fully with 'be up a hello'. love that record. 

• Like 7

15 hours ago, ignatius said:

Go Plastic b-sides + archives and out takes

and more of the hard weird acid breaks and stuff or whatever he's into. not interested in more shobaleader stuff. want 100% tom doing the machine daddy.. or whatever he's into at the time. really..  people like him and afx and Ae.. just put stuff out.. i'll check it out.. usually i'll love it or like it or dig it or become obsessed w/it now or 2 years from when it's released.. but there's a couple from squarepusher that i didn't jell with too much but was won back fully with 'be up a hello'. love that record. 

Agree with everything here! Very happy for him to continue his live-sets with newer acid/jungle mixed with back-catalogue stuff. But yeh.. Go Plastic! was another-planet id love him to revisit

• Like 2

Methyl Orange 2×12"

I wouldnt mind a return to the moody jazz of MIRON/Budakhan,  but with his more polished modern production.

Just don't want any more Shobaleader One -  that light poppy funk stuff just isnt my cup of tea sorry.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2023 at 1:50 PM, splesh said:

D'demonstrator was released 13 years ago. Elektrac was only six years ago but consisted of pre-Shobaleader material.

I know these both have the Shobaleader name attached to them but to me they're completely different things (ie. Tom pretending he had a band vs Tom having a band). 

Aside from a handful of tracks, and kinda strange mixing, I actually thought D-demonstrator was pretty good. Some of those tunes are very well written imo, shows that he really can write solid pop tunes if he wants. Into the Blue and Abstract Lover remain top tracks for me. 

Elektrac was not very interesting for me past the initial novelty. Very impressive of course but also imo not really necessary. I haven't played it at all since it came out tbh. 

I think it would be awesome if he did a bunch of all new material specifically written for the band.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Key said:

I wouldnt mind a return to the moody jazz of MIRON/Budakhan,  but with his more polished modern production.

Just don't want any more Shobaleader One -  that light poppy funk stuff just isnt my cup of tea sorry.

I agree with the MIROT part, would love to see a new album on that format. Perhaps with a lighter, more upbeat and happy feel like The Glass Road or A Real Woman on Just A Souvenir. I think that album has some ideas that Tom didn't explore in depth, like the Jazz Punk Electronic part on Delta-V. Also, Shobaleader One has some songs that mix that Punky Jazz (more like Metal really) style, but they do it in a more ambiguous way. Still like that album tho, the good thing about Tom is the fact that even in his worst and most inconsistent albums he has at least one epic tune.

Edited by neglectedlove

2 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

I know these both have the Shobaleader name attached to them but to me they're completely different things (ie. Tom pretending he had a band vs Tom having a band). 

Aside from a handful of tracks, and kinda strange mixing, I actually thought D-demonstrator was pretty good. Some of those tunes are very well written imo, shows that he really can write solid pop tunes if he wants. Into the Blue and Abstract Lover remain top tracks for me. 

Elektrac was not very interesting for me past the initial novelty. Very impressive of course but also imo not really necessary. I haven't played it at all since it came out tbh. 

I think it would be awesome if he did a bunch of all new material specifically written for the band.

I never listened to Elektrac. The idea didn’t interest me and didn’t sound like anything new. And I call myself a fan!

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 11:27 AM, Satans Little Helper said:

- please do a collaboration with john frusciante! that would be amazeballs!

ooh nice idea.. I wonder whether they'd have chemistry, I think the non-plastic approach would work better with Frusciante's 8-track type guitar stuff

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, hoggy said:

ooh nice idea.. I wonder whether they'd have chemistry, I think the non-plastic approach would work better with Frusciante's 8-track type guitar stuff

Nah … Frusciante is way too limited as a musician. Working with him would be a waste of time for Tom.

I think he should join a jazz power trio with some of the finer noodle jazz musicians out there. I’m thinking the guy that plays drums with Mark Turner (Jonathan Pinson - check him out, he’s amazing) and then, why not, Mark Turner himself and then have the three of them play Warne Marsh  material.

This I would pay good money to see.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Berk said:

Warp20 material pls

I’ve given up on that. Though whenever Warp has its 40th birthday we may see it. Maybe other big goodies as well, like BOC set. Until then I wouldn’t hold your breath.

On 4/12/2023 at 7:18 PM, Limo said:

Nah … Frusciante is way too limited as a musician.

Are f-ing kidding me? Not sure if youre aware of frusciantes efforts in electronic music. If you are please agree to disagree. But calling him too limited as a musician… my god, most of the artists were talking about here are even more limited… wtf!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Big Brain 1

Les Claypool v Squarepusher bass-off. Just, like, 45 minutes of mind melting bass solos. Brain on drums. Random vocals by Tom Waits. 

Spoiler

I'm joking that would be awful

• Like 2