Next time you in the woods

The Magic Tree Ape

Gonna fuck you up your bum

ICBYD part 2 tracklist

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Consul said:

ICBYD part 2 tracklist

Actual Nasenbluten playlist:

I’m sure the others are Nasenbluten tracks too. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Actual Nasenbluten playlist:

I’m sure the others are Nasenbluten tracks too. 

Oh yeah I forgot about this. Love it.

Glad you all are enjoying it, but to me it sounds tinny and bad, uninspired, like a middling AI trying to play Squarepusher, just like everything he's done lately.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I don’t hear “tinny” in this or be up however I’ve had that criticism for ufababoon and damaged furries. Didn’t hear tinny in his remixes for Danny Elfman or Gogo Penguin either.

Sorry it’s not for you 😞

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Jobe said:

tinny and bad

curious what you're listening on? i've listened in a few different places including studio, car etc.. sounds great. btw i have same complaints about ufabulum and damogen furies.. 

i do think everything he did on the 8 track analog machine.. fostex or whatever it was.. sounded different and Go Plastic was, for me, the perfect marriage of analog and digital though i don't know what he recorded it on.. i thought maybe still the fostex but no idea.. Do You Know Squarepusher has some crazy top end in it that wasn't in the stuff that came before it.  i think audio interface or recording medium would answer some questions about his stuff for me.. but maybe not. end result can be a combo of so many different things to make the cake... 

regardless, i'm digging the new one. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Bubba69 said:

I listened to it after the comparison was made. Didn't have any effect on my enjoyment don't worry!

20 hours ago, Jobe said:

Glad you all are enjoying it, but to me it sounds tinny and bad, uninspired, like a middling AI trying to play Squarepusher, just like everything he's done lately.

Yeah, apart from three or four tracks not feeling it so much. Really surprised at the warm reception indeed, though like you am happy others are enjoying. 

Be Up A Hello was the first Squarepusher I enjoyed in a while - in fact it was really, really good - so I was perhaps a bit overhyped. 

For me it's less the thin sounds (it sounds warmer than the bunch before Be Up A Hello) but just the chords and melodies aren't my thing where they do show up in an overt way, nor do I like those classic drum sounds others seem to. I find Enbounce particularly garish and awful and the guitar tracks just aren't my thing.

Edited by Lianne

I just listened to it for the first time, wearing headphones. One of his best albums, period. Def his best in 20 years or so. The whole time I’m thinking to my self “is this his best album?”, and maybe so but he has so many different styles that that’s a pretty bold thing to say. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, YEK said:

I just listened to it for the first time, wearing headphones. One of his best albums, period. Def his best in 20 years or so. The whole time I’m thinking to my self “is this his best album?”, and maybe so but he has so many different styles that that’s a pretty bold thing to say. 

I’m emboldened to have the same thoughts but I’ve not come to a conclusion yet. To me it’s the most genuinely straight up squarepusher album in some time. So many different approaches to the tracks. Almost hello everything style in that there’s a mish mash of his styles/output and production techniques; never just settles into a specific vibe or anything ala more recent albums. 

It really does strike me as a Hello Everything #2 in its premise and execution. 

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 5

I mentioned the kids banging to Duneray earlier but I meant the other D track - "Domelash".. not that Duneray aint a stomper either

But fuck me Domelash is the perfect pusher track right there. Its got that groove that accompany's AphexTwins best DJ set centre-pieces - you know when  you're just in-the-zone brain/shuffle dancing to the relentless funk drums.

Be Up plus NTS set plus live sets plus this album  - the pusher is definitley back on track.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Lianne said:

nor do I like those classic drum sounds others seem to

im sorry but what

r u talking about the breaks

Edited by fairuzosman

I think some of the tracks are exceptional..does it flow as an album? perhaps not but that is just Jenks..the dancey numbers are up there with his best, a few slow pearl jam numbers chucked in, he's doing it as he knows how and I applaud from afar. Favourites? Domelash & Akkranen

• Like 4

oops - edited because pressed "enter" before finishing writing it all

well, had a few listen to the album last days, my first feelings are :

- could be an aim of a "let me show all the things I can do -from guitar to rave, and a resume  from my first album style to my last album style, " -and this, quite well done -  but it might not flows well as an album... says, compared to Be Up A Hello , wich had a perfetct flow to me. (tough I need more time to get this new one fully , I might be wrong on that, too early to say)

- the jazz-guitar-hero + full-on chords progression / almost abused hard-rock-show style on the second track (enbounce) is really not my cup of tea but I know he will always goes in that style sometime and I'm not angry at him about it

- Wendorlan / Duneray / Akkranen / Domelash are top-notch pusher stuff. like what he did before, but still with a bit of push-forward production skills.

+ Akkranen does have some go plastic vibes for shure.

- Stromcor has that jazz-bass lead but I like more the jazz-bass style than the maximalist-guitar-hero style,  and in this track, the bass / jungle melting works well, it got that same felling than some early tracks from hard normal daddy / selection sixteen - but with a faster tempo.  actually really good track.

overall, I'm happy with the release.  

+ I feel like if someones already likes squarepusher he  might likes this album, but for those who dont', they will definitely  hate him .... if that makes any sense...

Edited by neurone
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fairuzosman said:

im sorry but what

r u talking about the breaks

Sorry, I was talking about the "classic drum machine" sounds on Enbounce, but couldn't edit my post a third time. I get they're a staple of dance music & it's just me tired of them (in many conexts), but it's also that when Squarepusher uses them sometimes it sounds thin and dull to me, although Be Up A Hello was fantastic. Here it's not as bad Shobaleader One, where the 909 sounds especially lame, but still isn't my favourite.

The breaks are fine you're quite right!

On 2/29/2024 at 2:48 PM, beerwolf said:

quite certain this leaves Hello Everything in the dust....

I recognise this track Domelash from somewhere

Amazing album. Domelash sounds familiar as well. Does some of its bones appear in the NTS Mix of 2019 possibly?  I’ve been meaning to give it another play through because of the same worm. 

3 hours ago, Friendly Stranger said:

Why is the NTS mix $303 thru his site?

Is it a soundboard? Do we already have a soundboard somewhere? bad reception here can’t load many sites lol legit curious. 

Edit: I don’t even see it on his site. Maybe am blind.

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

31 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Is it a soundboard? Do we already have a soundboard somewhere? bad reception here can’t load many sites lol legit curious. 

Edit: I don’t even see it on his site. Maybe am blind.

https://squarepusher.net/release/165231-squarepusher-nts-mix-22-06-19-?lang=en_US

had to google NTS mix so maybe it’s not even supposed to be available? Found it on SoundCloud later and yes it whips ass but would prefer to pay the artist 

• Thanks 1