IGNORED

Dostrotime [2024]

Consul

Any other IDM Dads noticed Enbounce is a remix of "Flowers" from Daydreams (the cbeebies show with pusha doing the tunes and olivia coleman narrating)?

(timestamped to the right bit)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Amen Warrior said:

Any other IDM Dads noticed Enbounce is a remix of "Flowers" from Daydreams (the cbeebies show with pusha doing the tunes and olivia coleman narrating)?

I don't know why but I just imagined a version of this called "CBeebies Wind Up for Kids" and it's full of stuff from Dostrotime but the video and the narration is the same.

Edited by Consul
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Boxus said:
7 hours ago, Boxus said:

It's interesting he mentioned in the track notes a connection to Vortrack (Fracture Remix) with the use of gated reverb. That was one of my favorite tracks he'd released in years and I was really hoping more of Be Up would have that sound, so I'm thrilled to hear a lot of material on this album that's kind of similar in style to it.

Spot on! 👍

I'm all over the place/back and forth listening to his music at the moment.

Having a good time though!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Amen Warrior said:

fairuzosman called it i believe

• Thanks 1

Him talking about his custom gated reverb got me looking out for it, and I feel like I can hear it all over the album now.
Pretty neat idea, since that kind of sequenced FX editing has been an idm sound design staple, especially for him, for so long. Might as well build a custom device that handles that kind of thing for you, gives you more control, or streamlines it. I'd love to see him d'demonstrate it.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2024 at 7:38 AM, Berk said:

Listening to Wendorlan right now and holy shit this is turning me -as a reviewer on Bandcamp puts it- into partially stopped alcohol 

Some other madlad talked about the album healing his friend's cock piercing. Truly some fans of all time we are hahaha.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Boxus said:

Notes on the last few tracks, thx Tom

Lol @ the damned 50hz hum

This seems to be one of those albums that get better on each listening.

Holorform and Domelash are my favorites so far. Especially when Domelash goes crazy towards the end. Holorform has some underlying prog-rock vibes, like Pekka Pohjola, maybe?

Still not completely sold on the Arkteon tracks, they feel kind of out of place, but alright.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2024 at 9:48 AM, Amen Warrior said:

just licensed an earlier squarepusher track with the same melody

https://warpcomposers.net/projects/daydreams/

i just realised i said the same thing as you. i just linked a different video.

Edited by Wunderbar

7 hours ago, zkom said:

Especially when Domelash goes crazy towards the end.

it's a 4:38 in 54 cymru beats-like moment

• Like 1

On the topic of sound design / overall mixing and mastering : to my ears, BUaH and Dostrotime don't sound thin, but they are not heavy at the right places. They sound frenetic but not massive. This is also a feeling I have with older Squarepusher stuff, most notably Big Loada which I like but imo sounds a bit messy. This is especially true with his most break-heavy material.

I guess these choices also help making his albums more unique. JAS has a very specific sound and I can't think of similar albums!

• Like 1

the fact that so many notice and/or dislikes the 'sound' of these records is a big clue that the mixing and/or mastering is not very good. this is really one of the last things any listener should notice: good mixing/mastering gets out of the way and/or enhances the music.

i'm all for interesting/weird/unique approaches to these things, but when every album comes out and much of the chatter is 'oh it sounds weird tho/i kinda liked it but i didn't listen to it cause it sounded weird' that's kind of ...not good

• Like 2

Enbounce

Having checked out the last few years sets... Enbounce is featured heavily and sits as a melodic breather/come-up track, to squarepusher-makes-the-drums-go-fast tracks that preceed it. He does tend to put tracks like this at the start of his albums as soembody else pointed out and so theyu have  a different "task" I reckon.. that of lulling you in.

Like with Aphex... I think squarepusher bangs tracks out at livesets where they live and breath in their natural habitat. Perhaps mixing/mastering for albums just isn't a concern? I'm ok with that... I prefer the live cuts anyway for atmosphere, context, energy etc but i totally get it can be frustrating. Ive always said I find Drukqs very "tinny" compared to say Syro for example, in aphex's case

Edited by phudoshin
  • Like 1

I can't ask much more from an album. after a few listens sitting at 4.5/5..Kronmec my new favourite...damn

• Like 6

So far at this early stage, I think my favourite track has settled at 'Domelash'. 

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okidokes - overall  I love the whole vibe of the album - a really viceral audio journey with a great sound pallette, decent mixing,and overall a brilliant followup to BeUp

The earworms are all starting to get familar after the 10th listen and i think this is were TJ really excels - his use of space, off-kilter percussive moments, melody changes.. lulling you in  and the killer drum prgramming hooks making you anticipate whats coming, braindance to every little flurry and launch yourself into the joys of the magic he weaves.

Stone cold classic

• Like 5

On 3/13/2024 at 12:31 PM, Wunderbar said:

just licensed an earlier squarepusher track with the same melody

https://warpcomposers.net/projects/daydreams/

i just realised i said the same thing as you. i just linked a different video.

I see a third Jenkinson executive produced Daydreams so assume that was his hook-up. Hope Daydreams gets a vinyl release it's lovely.