IGNORED

Alva Noto — Xerrox Vol. 5 [29 November 2024]

Found out a while ago you can take a CD to hospital when you're getting an MRI scan (to help calm your nerves) and they play it over the supplied headset when the procedure takes place. I grabbed Xerrox 3 (or might've been 4) and never have I been more submersed in an album before - The real world clonks and static-y noises and hums & the chest vibrations and pressure when it scans your body .... combined with everything from the album playing through the headset was just *chef's kiss*

Might need to book another appointment with the hospital when this drops 😄

• Like 8

• someguy changed the title to Alva Noto — Xerrox Vol. 5 [29 November 2024]

image.gif.f26ab59a3576df643358ad4d8ad698a8.gif

Edit: Samples remind me a little bit of The Revenant soundtrack in places. 

28 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

Hell yes ! Wonder if he'll do a box set with all 5 volumes in a big foldy-out-sleeve spelling xerrox?

He loves a box set, so fingers crossed. 

Edited by Scaramouche
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thumbass said:

Bit too ambient, is the entire xerrox series like this?

Nah. Volume 1 is almost a noise album and it progressively shoots out into space from there on out, emphasizes texture in a different way without being ear-intensive.

This one seems to have an opposite theme, one of decay, "dissolution" per the press release, so I'm really into how this final volume is gonna approach that sonically.

• Like 1

Digging Noto's other works (and have been for years now) but for some reason i never checked out this series.

5 minutes ago, someguy said:

Nah. Volume 1 is almost a noise album and it progressively shoots out into space from there on out, emphasizes texture in a different way without being ear-intensive.

This one seems to have an opposite theme, one of decay, "dissolution" per the press release, so I'm really into how this final volume is gonna approach that sonically.

Your description sounds interesting. I'll check it out!

10 minutes ago, someguy said:

Nah. Volume 1 is almost a noise album

I'd say V1 is still pretty much an ambient-y album .... just that the bit and sample rates get turned right down to super crunch level - like a black and white photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy (or xerox 😉 ) of an ambient album

18 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

I'd say V1 is still pretty much an ambient-y album

In retrospect oops yeah, it's been a while since I've listened to it (and Copy 1 & Copy 111 are burned into my mind from overlistening thru the years hence the noise bias). More appropriate to call it pretty intense ambient.

Edited by someguy
  • Like 1

Every album in the series develops from the last, moving away from pretty distorted digital ambient, through modern classical sampling bits into the more directly ambient later volumes. 2 is my favourite so far, but very excited to hear this. I'm hoping the whole series gets a nice reissue, not just as a boxset (like fuck can I afford a 10LP box), but as individuals too.

As time goes on, I find myself less drawn to intricately detailed, still, minimal music, but Carsten is one of very few artists who still grabs my attention.

Finally got around to listening to the samples. No real stand outs so far. One thing is for sure though... someone needs to stop Alva Noto from creating those awful "glockenspiel" melodies that he has been messing around with on his latest albums. Just stop it, Carsten. God.

3 hours ago, Squee said:

Finally got around to listening to the samples. No real stand outs so far. One thing is for sure though... someone needs to stop Alva Noto from creating those awful "glockenspiel" melodies that he has been messing around with on his latest albums. Just stop it, Carsten. God.

Less dings more strings