IGNORED

Alva Noto - HYbr:ID II

Jafs

image.thumb.png.f86d4c362c4b263414467898bd2cb70b.png

there's a big guy... big, tall german guy... some people think he's a little scary, maybe a little spooky... but the things he makes... germans you know.. they're famous for, well they're famous for a lot of things, some of those things we all know, we won't go into that, but the germans make a lotta good stuff, great stuff really. wonderful country. but this guy... ALVA... ALVA is his name... ALVA NO-TO... NOTO.. he takes his little computer and i dont know how he does it folks, but out come these sounds like you couldn't believe. little bloops, blips, oohhhss, aaaahhhhs -- all sorts of them folks, really wonderful stuff. all from this big quiet german guy you would never expect that

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

ok I've listened to this a few times now and I fucking love it. He really knows how to craft a mesmerizing soundscape. It fits the mood I've been in this year perfectly.

There's something so fun about albums released in a series like this. Like I'll be interested in any new Alva Noto but knowing it's a HYbrID or Xerrox is extra exciting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scumtron said:

Has CN said anything about the ambitions/difference behind his series? Halfway through this album, and it could be a Xerrox imo.

Soundtrack for some modern dance show or something

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BobDobalina said:

lol

it's true that first sentence in the press release really hurt to read.

The new album captures the music commissioned to score Richard Siegal’s Ectopia performed in 2021 by Tanztheater Pina Bausch with Shooting into the Corner (2008-09) by Anish Kapoor.

album is good tho

three albums in a year is pretty mental for him (four if you include https://shop.fmav.org/prodotti/carsten-nicolai-parallel-lines-cross-at-infinity/)

so many good tracks lol. die untergründigen and sarayaku hidding from the two soundtrack albums were incredible but holy christ, removing infinities, radiation mechanics, and field 1 off of this album are peak music

• Like 1

i just listened to his entire discography (discounting collabs + live albums + soundtracks + Noto bc i didnt have the time though i will go through those sometime next year) to prepare for this

ok so ive listened to all the albums except 3 (unitxt, xerrox 4 & first HYbr:ID) once so take this with a grain of salt but i think this is on par with Xerrox, Vol. 4 for me which is my favorite release of his. feels less emotional than that one but he also more than makes up for it by including an interesting texture in every track. just absolutely wonderful stuff 🙂 :catsupine:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, X4creek said:

take this with a grain of salt but i think this is on par with Xerrox, Vol. 4 for me which is my favorite release of his

Agree that this sounds more like a Xerrox release which is fine with me because those are also my favorites of his.

Need to get into this but just not in the frame of mind for it at the moment, so no point bothering. Hopefully soon. There's no doubt you have to be in a certain mood for this type of music, which actually proves it's top quality. It's a buzz reading so many positive opinions so the sooner the better. Maybe Sunday afternoon (finger crossed).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

From the past albums I've listened to alva noto, it's been via headphones to hear the little micro-sounds you might not usually hear on a more 'open' system.

Cranking Hybrid II in the car though has really been hitting. The low thrums in some of the tracks are nearly ripping the doors off. He really knows how to create meditative spaces in his music and this latest release is really resonating with me recently.

First two listens: So far Ectopia Removing Infinities has been by instant hit. Massive dubby track with lush bass. Although that lush bass is pretty ever present throughout. 

A ton of detail I'm sure I'm missing but liking this a lot.
2023 is turning into a pretty good year for music. 

• Like 1