IGNORED

i care because you do

Fred McGriff

I did a year abroad at Glasgow School of Art in 2001-2 and this album was part of my soundtrack at the time (and of course Drukqs which just came out), perfect mood for a sort of dreary industrial place but also a time of transition and exploration.

I love this album because some of it has kind of a loungy/video game tone that Richard seems to have gotten away from in the last decade or 2 (acrid avid jam shred, cow cud is a twin, mookid, alberto balsalm), kind of similar to Mike and Rich and some tracks off the new Caustic Window (flutey, squidge in the fridge, jazzphase, 101 rainbows ambient mix).

Also Start as you mean to go on is a banger

Every time there is a mention of Aphex releasing unreleased material, I'm hoping it comes from 1992-1994 because of what you described. He really got away from that period and never revisited it. The unreleased Caustic album didn't go into acrid avid, mookid, alberto balsalm territory, unfortunately. My other hope is that Melodies from Mars will (at least partly) fulfill my wishes since it must have been composed around the same time frame and he's been working on it. Let's cross our fingers.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a year abroad at Glasgow School of Art in 2001-2 and this album was part of my soundtrack at the time (and of course Drukqs which just came out), perfect mood for a sort of dreary industrial place but also a time of transition and exploration.

I love this album because some of it has kind of a loungy/video game tone that Richard seems to have gotten away from in the last decade or 2 (acrid avid jam shred, cow cud is a twin, mookid, alberto balsalm), kind of similar to Mike and Rich and some tracks off the new Caustic Window (flutey, squidge in the fridge, jazzphase, 101 rainbows ambient mix).

Also Start as you mean to go on is a banger

Every time there is a mention of Aphex releasing unreleased material, I'm hoping it comes from 1992-1994 because of what you described. He really got away from that period and never revisited it. The unreleased Caustic album didn't go into acrid avid, mookid, alberto balsalm territory, unfortunately. My other hope is that Melodies from Mars will (at least partly) fulfill my wishes since it must have been composed around the same time frame and he's been working on it. Let's cross our fingers.

Imagine Melodies from Mars sounding like I Care Because You Do.

I do enjoy Panda Bear music and he seems like a really nice guy. I was happy to see this in this interview here

"Aphex Twin, “I Care Because You Do”

"I think it’s safe to say he’s pretty much the biggest influence on me, musically. There’s a very specific melodic sensibility that he has. He kind of hides it and does abrasive and kind of grotesque music, but then there’s these super-sensitive and really beautiful things that he does. I always thought that juxtaposition was really interesting. You could tell he didn’t want to totally show that side of himself but reveal it kind of slowly and subtly." Charley Gallay/Getty Images"

Guest LoveRhino

For me, Alberto Balsalm was the track that sealed it for me - I remember hearing that for the first time in the car in 1994, and just replaying it... and replaying it... and replaying it until I got to where I was going, and then had it stuck in my head.

One of, if not the best song Richard has ever made. If there ever was a "magnum opus", it would be ICBYD.

I couldn't agree more. Alberto Balsalm is my favourite track of his by far.

• 2 months later...
Guest Rabid

Uhh... yeah no. It's definitely his weakest 90s album. I'm mad nostalgic for it though, it was my first aphex album and I was completely not expecting that melody in Acrid Avid. Then i kinda zoned out after that, next couple tracks were boring and uneventful, then came Ventolin which made me go "interesting..." and never listen to again. This album was still one of the best things I had heard at the time, but it doesn't approach the SAWs and RDJ album. Mookid's my fave and Alberto Balsam is stupidly overrated.

You mean melodies? :) Chiptunes have those because they can't hide behind fancy timbres so much. Those tracks you list are amongst my favourites, precisely because they pair the Aphex Twin hallmark of interesting timbres with actual melodies, to beautiful results.

The track with the vocal at the start where someone shouts 'alright' sounds just like my mate who i was living with at the time. when i first put that on i thought he was shouting to me from downstairs and shouted alright back only to realise it was on the record. I felt a bit silly

Guest Londonskater

It's just amazing. From start to finish.

Alberto Balsalm is one of the best things I have ever heard.

The rest is just unreal.

I used to listen to the album a lot at work when it came out.

When Ventolin came on, I'd push "repeat" on the CD player and leave it doing until someone went mental at me.

"You've put it on fucking repeat again! It's been going for half hour! Aaargh"

Bear in mind that I worked in a central London shop as Saturday boy back then.

Good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alberto Balsam is stupidly overrated.

125156.jpg

Holy shit. This is an outrage, mods please b7!

Uhh... yeah no. It's definitely his weakest 90s album. I'm mad nostalgic for it though, it was my first aphex album and I was completely not expecting that melody in Acrid Avid. Then i kinda zoned out after that, next couple tracks were boring and uneventful, then came Ventolin which made me go "interesting..." and never listen to again. This album was still one of the best things I had heard at the time, but it doesn't approach the SAWs and RDJ album. Mookid's my fave and Alberto Balsam is stupidly overrated.

PERMABAN?!

Far and away my favorite Aphex Twin album and one of my favorite albums of all time period. Heard this shortly after it first came out in 95 and I still return to this album time and time again. Never gets old to me. When I'm on an Aphex kick I can listen to this album nearly alone for weeks on end.

What I consider a perfect album. An absolute masterpiece.

Guest murphythecat8

Cow cud, alberto balsalm, mookid

1994-1995 is definitely richard first peak imo where he really found his trademark sound. he should have added sekonda on that album.

its his most special record for me

• 1 month later...

Oh wow. Realizing that I'm coming up on my 20 year anniversary as a fan. I don't know that this my favorite album anymore(it was for ever), but then again I think it's kind of silly to pick favorites at this point. It's a mood thing.

• 2 months later...

has anyone heard this version of Avid Acrid Jam, its amazing, its like a brand new song.

(is it possible for someone to rip this at this speed? would love to have it)

Archived