IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

shock and awe. i was shocked that a filmmaker would have the balls to delve this far into some kind of fetishistic adolescent fantasy. if he spent 300 million dollars on this, it's probably the most ridiculous use of that much money i've ever seen on screen. it felt like a cliche machine wrote the script. probably some of the most horrendous dialogue i've ever heard, in terms of generic script writing. but then, of course, it was beautiful. i can't complain about the special effects, or uncanny valley, or anything like that. the 3d was used perfectly, added depth of field without ever being gimmicky. for a movie with this much cgi, i was impressed how real the environments and lighting looked. in the end, it's a great movie if you're ten years old, but for a cynical guy in his twenties who grew up on james cameron, it's a major disappointment. maybe battle angel alita will be more interesting, if not more adult.

This is probably what I would write about it, but a bit different as I'm not cynical, just fed up with blockbusters.

In other news, yesterday I watched The dark knight for the first time. I'd give it 6/10, because od Hedger's performance and interesting contemporary world batman incorporation. Otherwise it can be debated, whether its a movie about the american conspiracy of fetishising tecnology and spending everything needed to fight crime (any move made today, that doesn't understand the dire ecological issues fails imo. This one did the opposite)

Also watched Transformers 2. It made me think a lot of things, and it was splendidly made in its way. But it made me think because I'm such a person, otherwise it was sucking my life, intellectual and love energy that I try to nurture for the world. So I'll give it a good 3/10, because it actually could do worse. At least I think it could...

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

going to watch Kin-Dza-Dza tonight

I love Kin-Dza-Dza.

Some random stuff I liked over the past days:

Muerte de un ciclista (1955) A tense noir story. Some great scenes. 4/5

Härlig är jorden (1991) A nice Roy Andersson short. I really like his style. I thought his last 2 movies were absolutely brilliant but no sign of a new one yet. :( 4/5

Postriziny (1981) What a beautiful, joyful comedy. 5/5

In other news, yesterday I watched The dark knight for the first time. I'd give it 6/10, because od Hedger's performance and interesting contemporary world batman incorporation. Otherwise it can be debated, whether its a movie about the american conspiracy of fetishising tecnology and spending everything needed to fight crime (any move made today, that doesn't understand the dire ecological issues fails imo. This one did the opposite)

thanks for properly rating dark knight 6/10, now thats an overhyped fucking movie that doesn't receive enough criticism about it's horrible pacing, bad acting and convoluted story.

thanks for properly rating dark knight 6/10, now thats an overhyped fucking movie that doesn't receive enough criticism about it's horrible pacing, bad acting and convoluted story.

Well Heath Ledger does his part perfectly imo, Gary Oldman isn't as great as in his other movies, as for others they were too close to Transformers's acting skills

i agree, Nolan is a rather weird filmmmaker; I liked Memento and the Prestige well enough, but the batman films have lots of wtf moments. It seems to me Nolan just isn't a very good "finisher", like he doesn't have quite enough energy to put a film together in a coherent and well-paced way. Individual scenes might be good, but the overall effect is disjointed.

I saw Black Dynamite last night. I was hoping for the best based on some of the comments here, but I didn't find it very funny. The only time I laughed was when the nefarious plot twist was revealed. It was a very lovingly made film - apart from a few moments it felt like a real Blaxploitation movie instead of a spoof - but I guess I'm not enough of a fan of the genre for that to be enough in and of itself.

mediocre movie day continued with Where the Wild Things Are. Didn't understand what Jonze was hoping to accomplish here. Altogether it seemed a bit morbid.

Its not good no? My mates have been shitting themselves over it for a week, they havent seen it but they cant wait to. Personally even from the ad it didnt look massively impressive.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

twilight lol/10

2 hours? nothing happened. it took her forever to work him out. hes a vampire you dumbass, its a vampire movie!!

his skin sparkles like diamonds. just after i said "it's beautiful" mockingly, she says "it's beautiful"! turn out i wrote the script when i was retarded that one time. the author seems to think she can take vampires and mold them however she likes just because they are legend but we all know they can't go in sunlight for a better reason that their fuckign skin sparkles. FUCKK. plus no sex scene. no bed. dumbass.

the limits of control 8/10

tetro 6.9

le donk & scor zay zee 7

a touch of class 7

waiting for guffman 6

best in show 7.1

a migty wind 7

pulp 9.2

billion dollar brain 6.5

welb.. ill try

it definitely was beautiful flick, visually.

bit too long, ..acting was, um.. varied.

gallo was himself, some of the other actors/actresses were

quite bad ..from time to time, dialogue too.

the story was all right, it kept me interested.

i liked that there were theatre/opera scenes (in colour),

but i just didnt like how they were.

i dont know.. gonna have to see it more than once..

and surely you can pick much worse films than this..

Its not good no? My mates have been shitting themselves over it for a week, they havent seen it but they cant wait to. Personally even from the ad it didnt look massively impressive.

I guess the most you can say about it is it hasn't been done before; it's a kid's film aimed at adults only, which I guess means it has no target audience. It's sort of like the Neverending Story, except all the characters are morose, neurotic, and dysfunctional, and seemingly can't wait to be swallowed up by the "the nothing." I guess the idea is the kid is perched right at the moment where he has to give up make believe and join the young adult world. So it's basically a farewell to his fantasy world, and the "out of control" part of himself. The prob is Jonze doesn't seem to do enough to sell the idea that his fantasy world is rich and fun enough to miss. There's also a very weird catalyst that triggers the falling apart of monster relations involving two owls not part of the original story. It feels pretty deus ex machina. I did like James Gandolfini's monster. The music is pretty calculated and emo. Some nice scenery and Andy Goldsworthy-esque sculptures. Not really sure what to think about it, but I'm not sure it works on any level.

Dean Spanley - watched it yet again and cannot get enough of it.

Ballast - 7/10 - Really well done for a first film. The editing was interesting, especially for the story that was being told. It was primarily done with jump cuts, similar to Godards Breathless and just about all the indie films these days it seems, which usually provokes energy and action in a film (both of which lacking in this film), but in this case I guess it tailored to the fragmented lives/story of the characters involved... or the director trying to cover up that fact that he can't frame a shot. All and all the emotion was there and as was the atmosphere.

Guest Conor74

Withnail & I. Again.

My thumbs have gone weird!

(To the chicken)

How do we make it die?

I feel like a pig shat in my head.

We've gone on holiday by mistake.

In Bruges - 7/10 - I get what you meant by its jarring mood swings Awepittance. The scene the really did me in was when Brendan Gleeson's character...

got shot in the leg, then neck, managed to climb back to the top of the bell tower, casually place his gun back in his pocket, button up, climb to the top of the ledge, let out a final dignified stance, jump, implode, have a dramatic heart to heart with the Farrel character with his detached leg gently out of focus in the background (really??) all before Ralph Fiennes, who was running down the stairs, got there.

A bit too Hollywood for my liking. I did enjoy the existentialism motif sprinkled throughout though it felt a bit reaching at times. Any who a fun little flick I reckon.

synecdoche NY - 9

i gave it a -9/10

i'm really going to have to give it another chance, it didn't do much for me first time around.

I just watched The Cove, a documentary about dolphin killing in Japan. It was really well made for what it was, 9/10

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

3D IMAX. Even the song at the end couldnt ruin it. it looks fucking awesome. i'd seen 10 minutes of harry potter in 3D and felt sick but this 3D was much smoother. you could pick apart the story, the dialogue, the acting etc but as 2 1/2 hours of escapist entertainment i was satisfied. would quite like to see it again in just 3D. ana lucia in a tank top in 3D FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!

snack: mini swedish fish & ginger ale.

Archived