IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i love the original poltergeist if only for the early Spielberg feel to it all, the pacing and character interaction in the movie reminds me a lot of Close encounters and Jaws. also the score by jerry goldsmith is fantastic as well as some of the visual effects for the time. i heard that Tobe hooper wad fired midway and spielberg took over the directing.

Pacific_Heights_DVD_Cover.jpg

piece. of. shit. laughable really. the characters stupidity in this film is amazing.

i enjoyed this probably more than i should of because i used to be an apartment manager, and this type of renter was basically my worst fear at the time

What was it you didn't like about Brüno? IMO it was way funnier than Borat, it hit target on so many things. This seemed to get to people even more than Borat, it hit true and exposed so much about certain types of people.

Liked the way it veered from disturbing (the mothers and baby scene) to extremely silly (all the sex stuff, esp the hotel scene).

Anyway, how come you didn't like it?

i couldn't watch Bruno all the way through for the same reason Borat seemed faulty, most of the 'daring' or 'dangerous' stunts he pulled off seemed absolutely staged clearly with a safety net in case anything actually endangered him. Sasha Baron Coen is not the new Andy Kaufman, he doesn't even hold a candle to Neil Hamburger.

I saw "the Others" with Nicole Kidman. Was really boooring, though it picked up a bit at the end as it approached the twist ending. I must have read a review when it came out, because the twist occurred to me fairly early on. Kidman really does overact, she's a weird bird. Kids weren't very sympathetic, either. Gets extra points for some good cinematography/lighting. 6.5/10.

Guest Fat Roland

control 7.7/11

lost in la mancha 7.5/11

the weather man 8/11

stalker 10.7/11

I think Control deserves at least an 8.8.

I've just seen The Road. It was as bleak as hell, but had about the emotional pull of a pile of bricks.

Has anyone else seen it? Am I just dead inside?

Buffalo 66. Some of you guys adore this flick, really? I mean I fully understand the appeal of hottie cupie Christina Ricci, she raises the film by at least 3 points - the film deserves to stay around for the sole reason that it's a testament to her beauty pre anorexia and boob reduction. The film deserves another point for probably being the inspiration for bullet time in the Matrix, I had no idea. but apart from that...Vincent Gallo is a pretty unappealing character and his attempts to humanize himself struck me as phony. The film is extremely thin; apart from the dinner sequence there's basically nothing there. 5/10

What was it you didn't like about Brüno? IMO it was way funnier than Borat, it hit target on so many things. This seemed to get to people even more than Borat, it hit true and exposed so much about certain types of people.

Liked the way it veered from disturbing (the mothers and baby scene) to extremely silly (all the sex stuff, esp the hotel scene).

Anyway, how come you didn't like it?

the 'story' and character are weak as piss terrible and i felt i'd seen it all before in borat. almost everything is staged and not remotely funny.

i watched the godfather and godfather part ii recently. gonna start on part iii soon.

they're such fucking amazing movies. i can't believe i've never seen them before. i love the character of michael. he's simultaneously good and evil and you keep rooting for him, no matter the rotten things he does. it's awesome :emotawesomepm9:

Guest viscosity

i remember who i first saw buffalo 66 with. in that context it's significant for me

haven't seen The Brown Bunny, got sorta shittay reviews, might give it a try though

saw a bunch of other movies listed here. highlights I guess are session 9, which made me want to revisit kppc and the reflecting skin which was intriguing. Philip Ridley has a couple films that I might follow through and watch. i guess he's more of a theater director/author, primarily children's books. kind of disturbing given the subject matter of his films

Downloading a dvd screener for "The Road" right now.

don't! it's missing 20 minutes.

The.Road.DVDSCR.XVID.V2(COMPLETE)-ToXiC

The.Road.DVDSCR.XviD-KTKS

as far as i know, both of them are missing 20-27 mins. also the quality is crap.

Uzak (2002) With all those "best of 00" lists I notice I missed a lot of really great stuff. This one for example is amazing. It's a film about the distance between people and themselves by a Tarkovsky fan. And although it's Turkish it's all very universal. Visually very strong, got hooked to it immediately. Beautiful! :ok:

Guest beatfanatic

Downloading a dvd screener for "The Road" right now.

don't! it's missing 20 minutes.

The.Road.DVDSCR.XVID.V2(COMPLETE)-ToXiC

The.Road.DVDSCR.XviD-KTKS

as far as i know, both of them are missing 20-27 mins. also the quality is crap.

I downloaded the second complete version. its pretty decent quality for a screener though.

Archived