IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

he explains in the extras that he was basically exorcising crippling negative energy after a complete mental breakdown and regular debilitating panic attacks. he was in a very dark place which he thought he'd never escape and making this film helped him get out. prior to this he thought he'd never work or even leave his house ever again.

that's funny because I didn't really find the film that dark or negative. Dancer in the Dark was more negative. Antichrist was pretty fun.

fun lol. i couldn't agree with you... i didn't enjoy it at all.

it was bjork that nearly lost her mind making dancer in the dark... she got so deep into character she struggled to return... method acting seems to do that.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Antichrist - wtf/10 - This had potential that's for sure. I believe, in my ho-humble-internet-opinion, that Lars von Trier lost himself in this film... he, a lapidary with a dull chisel, had a vision that hung like a thin fog and as it dissipated all that was left were cheap thrills and a few faceless characters... and of course William Defoe butt.

he explains in the extras that he was basically exorcising crippling negative energy after a complete mental breakdown and regular debilitating panic attacks. he was in a very dark place which he thought he'd never escape and making this film helped him get out. prior to this he thought he'd never work or even leave his house ever again.

That was a similar situation said by the director of Martyrs. An even bleaker film, perhaps.

didn't have willem's erect penis though eh?

Or his balls in artful black and white, which I admit was a crying shame.

fun lol. i couldn't agree with you... i didn't enjoy it at all.

aw...I have no desire to rewatch dancer in the dark, but I've watched antichrist twice and would gladly watch it again. It looks lush and is, to me, pretty funny.

i was trying to decide if i find charlotte gainsbourg hot or not. she's got something about her but she can look pretty and ugly at the same time. overly skinnny i think.

I had that very same dilemma watching the film.

I just decided that Willem was hotter and an all round nicer guy and went about my business.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

the gits 6/10

sad. very sad. didnt know of the gits before watching this. couldnt help but feel the remaining band members believed their own hype a bit too much. the music aspect didnt interest me at all. it was an interesting study on how it feels to have a loved one murdered and the killer not be found.

and straight after

the mighty ducks 10/10

imma change my name to gorden bombay. i love how every goal they score is an elaborate gimmick.

aw cmon Antichrist is awesome.

It had its moments that's for sure... I'd give it a 7/10 but perhaps I'm being too cynical. When you dedicate something in Tarkovsky's name one would expect for it to be a tasteful tribute in vain of Tarkovsky's tasteful career. I guess I appreciated the Tarkovsky influence just not von Trier's outwardly aggressive approach to unsettle the viewer which seemed, at least to me, to desensitize from more important matters in the film.

I guess that explains a few things... but who knows.

Guest Adjective

i thought i posted something about A Serious Man in here... maybe it was another thread

8/10

I really like it, but I draw a blank trying to describe it.

I'll write a real review later on, and probably revise the score.

I love the brother, his work... the unsatisfied student, the marijuana, the frustrating rabbis.

Isn't the guy on the phone from columbia(n) house the same voice on the phone from Fargo?

film / music

eat the rich 7 / 7

hunting venus 5.5 / 7.5

it couldn't happen here 7 / 7

the legend of hell house 7.5 / 8.5

valerie a týden divu 6 / 9

taking woodstock 5.5 / 6

the anderson tapes 8 / 8

it might get loud

it might get bland. the jack white stuff was interesting, or at least driven by a need to entertain. the movie operated too much on the assumption that we aren't already familiar with these players, and i found myself drifting off at times because there was very little insight into the guitar. just the usual bluesy stuff, arriving in the present with music that sounds dated. i wouldn't mind watching a movie about jack white, or about the edge's effects units or maybe just an hour of jimmy page noodling, but taken together it was pretty forgettable.

Guest viscosity

watching Lars von Trier's "Golden Heart Trilogy/" so far so good. just finished Breaking The Waves, apparently Emily Watson's breakthrough role. shes damn good in it too. going to watch the other two soon, looking forward to what Björk can do on screen

Guest ataraxy2

^^ I still want to see Dancer in the Dark.

Saw Up, which was very disappointing and pretty dull. Bad film with good parts. 6.5/10

Guest viscosity

they actually call it his "golden heart trilogy"? Bleaaach. What's the third one? Dogville? That wouldn't really count.

naw, that's the "Land of Opportunity" trilogy lol

^^ I still want to see Dancer in the Dark.

Saw Up, which was very disappointing and pretty dull. Bad film with good parts. 6.5/10

dancer in the dark makes me crawl up into a ball and cry. it's really focused on the mother/child relationship and that always gets me cause i'm so close with my mom. it's a very good movie. some people call it manipulative, but i think all films are manipulative in some way, because they try to make you believe in something that isn't real.

Von Trier films are definitely manipulative, I do think he's a sadist, but I use the term as lovingly as possible. I think he's like the kid who makes a cool drawing and then scribbles all over it at the end. He's like the anti-Kubrick; instead of viewing humanity from a somewhat dispassionate distance, he seems to like to gleefully piss all over everything. It's like he loathes humanity and loathes himself to the point where he just starts giggling and breaking things. I like Dogville the most as the ending is pretty much the pure distillation of Trier's sense of humor, imo.

i love the use of bowies "young americans" during the end credit sequences to dogville and manderlay. von trier is great because hes as perverse as he is talented.

also, the five obstructions is a massively entertaining film

Guest Mirezzi

it might get loud

it might get bland. the jack white stuff was interesting, or at least driven by a need to entertain. the movie operated too much on the assumption that we aren't already familiar with these players, and i found myself drifting off at times because there was very little insight into the guitar. just the usual bluesy stuff, arriving in the present with music that sounds dated. i wouldn't mind watching a movie about jack white, or about the edge's effects units or maybe just an hour of jimmy page noodling, but taken together it was pretty forgettable.

Yeah, I enjoyed it despite all of your very relevant misgivings. Two things saved it for me: Jimmy Page's charisma and Jack White's intergalactic (bordering on pretentious) penchant for calling attention to himself. I still like him. Funny, that.

a serious man - seemed like a personal film for the coen's with all the jewishness. not much really happened, but had that coen quality. quite a nice little film.

inglorious basterds - liked it more than i thought i would. somehow i found it hard to sympathize with the basterds, seemed like sadistic pricks no better than the nazis they were hunting. hans landa was a brilliant bad guy, really made the movie, imo.

they actually call it his "golden heart trilogy"? Bleaaach. What's the third one? Dogville? That wouldn't really count.

Breaking the Waves, The idiots and Dancer in the Dark

god i hated the idiots. haven't seen breaking the waves but dancer is amazing.

Breaking the Waves, The idiots and Dancer in the Dark

god i hated the idiots. haven't seen breaking the waves but dancer is amazing.

Ah, I missed the Idiots! Breaking the waves is imo superior to dancer, but I haven't seen either in a while. But this whole "golden heart" thing, it sounds like something marketers came up with...is it actually what von trier calls it?

Archived