IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Serious Man - 9/10 - Second viewing adding more to the wonderful experience. Truly a wonderful film.

Easy Rider - 7/10 - An alright film with many great moments. The editing had its piths though a bit too avant-garde at times, I suspect due to probably being under the influence while editing... especially with that one shot when Peter Fonda goes to throw his watch before he and Hopper begin their journey. The film really began to grow on me when Jack Nicholson emerged with the George Hanson character... I also really dug the LSD trip and the soundtrack above anything else.

Guest ataraxy2

The Reader 6/10 - pretty bland, not without merit

Revolutionary Road 9/10 - excellent, brilliant acting from all involved

Alice in Wonderland (1951) 8/10 - very enjoyable

I also really dug the LSD trip and the soundtrack above anything else.

i felt a little underwhelmed by Easy Rider , what i did enjoy though more was the spin off movie they did with Bruce Dern Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda called 'the trip'

guess that it's about

A Serious Man - 9/10 - Second viewing adding more to the wonderful experience. Truly a wonderful film.

what did you think of my theory in the spoiler tags, there are 3 separate conversations in the movie that i think pin down what it's about. larry talking to the lady on the beach about trying to use his faith for answers, the sye able man dream sequence of the uncertainty principle argument, and a more comedic one but similar in theme is the discussion with the F-student's Father who tells Larry to 'accept the mystery' about his paradoxical threats.

the quote that opens the movie pretty much sums it up "Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you,”

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

what did you think of my theory in the spoiler tags, there are 3 separate conversations in the movie that i think pin down what it's about. larry talking to the lady on the beach about trying to use his faith for answers, the sye able man dream sequence of the uncertainty principle argument, and a more comedic one but similar in theme is the discussion with the F-student's Father who tells Larry to 'accept the mystery' about his paradoxical threats.

the quote that opens the movie pretty much sums it up "Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you,”

your theory is lost on us 1 time viewing patrons. did you see my simplistic interpretation of the film many pages back? about the message of the movie

Guest Smuckers

Just watched Waking Life after seeing it in the Lucid Dreaming thread. Fucking cool film. Didn't know what the fuck was going on at first but just accepted it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice one.

I dug your theory though I think the opening sequence is more subtle. I scoured the film for some sort of clue linking it to Larry, like a set piece or dialogue... the only thing linking the two is their religion and I doubt the Coen's would make such a dubious claim that Jews are cursed with poor fortune... though they are stereotypically tagged as worrywarts. I then remembered the dialogue between Larry and Clive which could relate to the open sequence:

"...the stories I give you in class are just illustrative; they're like, fables, say, to help give you a picture. An imperfect model. I mean even I don't understand the dead cat"

I do agree, though, that the overall message revolves around the opening quote "Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you” to "accept the mystery" for in the end there are worse things that can happen, truly unexplainable things that transcend math, science, or theory.

Escape from New York:

- film: 7.82/10

- soundtrack: thumbs up.

Yeah that was before he started obviously using other (and popular) songs as a template for his compositions. He fucked up as soon as he tried anything other than synths in my opinion.

The Room 10/10

The Room (2003)

Das Zimmer (2000) aka "The Room" - USA

The Room (2001)

The Room (1992)

The Room (2006)

The Room (1998)

The Room (2005)

The Room (2006) (TV)

The Room (2007)

The Room (2008)

The Room (1999)

The Room (2006) (V)

The Room (2009/I)

The Room (2009/II

which one?

Guest Fishtank

Last night I watched IT! The Terror From Beyond Space (1958)

The story is pretty much just like Alien.

A guy is on a mission to Mars and he reports back that his whole crew has been murdered by something.

Mission control decides that foul play is afoot and they send a crew to go to Mars and bring him back.

The monster somehow climbs aboard and terrorizes the crew and they gotta find a way to stop him.

Mostly the movie was dull, the monster was unconvincing and the crew kept doing stupid things like opening hatches and shooting at the monster when they know full well guns don't work.

It gets more interesting when one of the crew memebers gets stuck in a room with the monster with a broken leg. All he has to defend himself is a blowtorch.

I couldn't help but think Ridley Scott got his ideas from this.

The Room 10/10

The Room (2003)

Das Zimmer (2000) aka "The Room" - USA

The Room (2001)

The Room (1992)

The Room (2006)

The Room (1998)

The Room (2005)

The Room (2006) (TV)

The Room (2007)

The Room (2008)

The Room (1999)

The Room (2006) (V)

The Room (2009/I)

The Room (2009/II

which one?

the 2003 one

Guest Super lurker ultra V12

Escape from New York:

- film: 7.82/10

- soundtrack: thumbs up.

Yeah that was before he started obviously using other (and popular) songs as a template for his compositions. He fucked up as soon as he tried anything other than synths in my opinion.

so, other than that soundtrack, what else do you think it's worth a listen?

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

watched super high me last night. very few lols. absolutely no interesting findings. i wasn't high when watching, was probably my mistake

me & orsen welles just opened down the street. might go see what linklater is up to

Archived