IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeremiah Johnson survives the shit out of this film!

It's been years since I saw that film! Would like to watch it again...though I find Robert Redford really annoying for some reason.

I just really love the feel of the whole film, warms me up with inner earthy gayness!

Shit Gets Real!

The Ghost Writer 7/10 - being a bit harsh because I don't love it nearly anywhere near as much as Rosemary's baby or The Ninth Gate(yes I realize many people don't love or even like this film but fuck you, I do).....

I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable, has terrific music and editing, cinematography....

Polanski making a fine film about politics and how evil/distorted it has all become.....

a little bit close to Blair's story, perhaps why Polanski is in jail now for something he did over thirty years ago and never really hid from sight, just left the country he did it in...

in Jack Nicholson's house....

Jack was out shopping...

missed his sloppy seconds....

Awww Hollywood, how sleazy art thou?

hurt locker.

strong black man struggles to get along with annoying white man. white man looks like John belushi. men go out and dispose of bombs, defying protocol. predictable successful results with little tension. big budget ideas for small outlay.

ponyo

lush animation. magical take on modest everyday drama typical of Japanese cinema. contrived characters to some extent. lacks the weirdness & challenge of nausicaa, laputa, mononoke.

watched hurt locker, i'll join the underwhelmed crowd around here. run of the mill war movie, i don't see why this deserved an oscar. up in the air was more deseving, inglorious basterds too, it was atleast a different kind of war movie.

I'm watching Precious right now, it's pretty bizarre. It swings between tragedy and comedy, and has some poor acting in pivotal roles (the inspirational teacher), but some good acting in minor roles by big name stars (Lenny Kravitz, Maria Carey). I guess we're finally making progress with race relations if a film that plays a bit like a black "Jersey Shore" can be supported (seemingly) by the black community. I guess it all depends on how you look at it; from one angle you see the pathos, from another you see an obese welfare mom with HIV who has a kid named "mongo" and steals fried chicken. It wouldn't be a huge step from this to a black "Borat"...

Guest viscosity

The Isle 9/10 for cinematography and those neat little house boats

fish hook scenes were :wtf:

:ok: I recommend any of his other films too, especially 3-iron, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring, and Samaritan Girl.... he's a dark fucker but easily my favorite active director.

just watched 3-iron.. 10/10

I'm watching District 9 and it's a LOT better the second time around. The first time I watched it I didn't really know what to expect because I had avoided all the full length trailers.

Guest Al Hounos

Oscars Edition!!1 Part 2

Up in the Air - good i guess, maybe i'm just not cut out for mainstream movies like this. 7/10

In the Loop - ah, here we go - is this the only good film nominated this year??? not just hilarious but I'd imagine it probably isn't that far from the truth. 9/10

just watched 3-iron.. 10/10

:cool:

Oscars Edition!!1 Part 2

Up in the Air - good i guess, maybe i'm just not cut out for mainstream movies like this. 7/10

In the Loop - ah, here we go - is this the only good film nominated this year??? not just hilarious but I'd imagine it probably isn't that far from the truth. 9/10

preach on

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

in the adaptation category i didnt get why this was nominated. adapted from tv? hardly the same as adapted from a book is it.

just started dexter season 3. the writing seems to have gone down considerably. everything just seems so unlikely. only 2 episodes in but so far we're not convinced. jimmy smit can fuck off.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

see 2 was ok. the formula hadn't got old by then (quite). by season 3 its 'he's gonna get caught oh but he got away with it just' meh. only 2 episodes in though so not saying the whole season is phewy.

the only thing off about season 2 was

doakes/dexter at the harbour. we were thinking it was a dream

Guest ataraxy2

Your suspicions about S3 are spot on. It has the most predictable, rushed and lame ending of the first three seasons.

Guest tidbit

bad lieutenant : port of call... 6.5

imaginarium of dr.parnassus 6.5

inglorious basterds 6

the long goodbye 7.5

alices restaurant 7

tess 6.5

out of the blue 8

mad dog morgan 7

stone 6 (music 8.5)

the set 6.5 (music 9.5)

all tomorrows parties 6