IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Guest Z_B_Z

i will say that although the family women were completely psychotic, women with really short hair turn me on.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vodor

paprika: 3/5

it was pretty cool. cute. i really like that parade song, and the parade in general. hinted at deepness, but never really delivered.

chronicles of riddick: 3/5

a fun action sci-fi movie. i've heard very little about the movie and if i recall it made zero money and people/critics generally disliked it, but it was perfectly decent and entertaining.

i mean, they initially said crematoria was 700 degress day and -300 degress night, but obviously it wasn't that cold at night cause they were running around out there aight, and plus, that temperature differential makes no sense if the atmosphere is as thick and breathable as depicted. and the cute ending is obviously lobbying for a sequel which is never going to happen, so that was pretty lame too.

but i knew what to expect and it exceeded my expectations. vin diesel is such a stud. i'd love to rub massage oil all over his scalp and rippling bod.

i've just watched all 3 parts of Hrafn Gunnlaugsson's the Raven trilogy.

Hrafninn flýgur (the raven flies) - amazingly fresh! i loved it!

Í skugga hrafnsins (shadow of the raven) - not as good as the first one, but still great.

Embla - Hvíti víkingurinn - Entirely different, but again - great!

that's enough movies for today now :)

So I probably should watch these yeh?

i've just watched all 3 parts of Hrafn Gunnlaugsson's the Raven trilogy.

Hrafninn flýgur (the raven flies) - amazingly fresh! i loved it!

Í skugga hrafnsins (shadow of the raven) - not as good as the first one, but still great.

Embla - Hvíti víkingurinn - Entirely different, but again - great!

that's enough movies for today now :)

So I probably should watch these yeh?

i'd say so, especially if you're into scandinavian history or interested in vikings. they all seem really authentic, with incredible attention to details. i also watched the first one with commentary and i was amazed by how much attention went into every single scene.

the second and the third movie deal a lot with christianization of Iceland and Norway, which is something that interests me quite a bit.

there are two versions of the last one, the original that focuses on Askar's mission on Iceland and the recent director's cut which focuses on Embla in Norway.

oh, and you can watch all three movies in very decent quality on youtube:

Hrafninn flýgur

Í skugga hrafnsins

Embla - Hvíti víkingurinn (director's cut)

chronicles of riddick: 3/5

a fun action sci-fi movie. i've heard very little about the movie and if i recall it made zero money and people/critics generally disliked it, but it was perfectly decent and entertaining.

i mean, they initially said crematoria was 700 degress day and -300 degress night, but obviously it wasn't that cold at night cause they were running around out there aight, and plus, that temperature differential makes no sense if the atmosphere is as thick and breathable as depicted. and the cute ending is obviously lobbying for a sequel which is never going to happen, so that was pretty lame too.

but i knew what to expect and it exceeded my expectations. vin diesel is such a stud. i'd love to rub massage oil all over his scalp and rippling bod.

Fair review, although I'd say 3.5 I suppose. I wanted to hate it before I saw it but I found out I could not. Quite entertaining despite some cheese. I was hoping for a sequel myself.

I thought there was a sequel. Or was it a prequel? An embarrassing space opera that I turned off after 10 minutes. Forget the name.

Pitch Black was a prequel, but I'd hardly call that a space opera. Perhaps you're thinking about something else?

Such teasing in Modulations with not enough Tom J, with no Twin....not enough Autechre either but I still like the film alright

Such teasing in Modulations with not enough Tom J, with no Twin....not enough Autechre either but I still like the film alright

yes and the classic nose picking scene.

idea: cartoon about the life and music of RDJ, made by Mike Judge and Chris Cunningham...I will work on getting this made

Time - South Korean movie about a girl who is afraid of loosing her boyfriend, so without further notice she disappears him only to return with a new face with some help from a plastic surgeon. I was really excited about this movie but it was extremely slow. It felt like I had been watching Time for over 2 hours when I had only been watching it for little over an hour.

6/10

Guest vodor

boondock saints: 3/5

really dumb but also really fun and satisfying. some really funny stuff (willem dafoe with the bloody hands and his hair, lol!!!). i was quite drunk.

step brothers: 3/5

i laughed. lots of funny stuff. everything but the gags was lame but i realize that it needed to be there for this to be a movie. i was even drunker.

there will be blood: 5/5

it's been my favorite movie ever since it first saw it (yeah i know, and my second favorite movie ever is pt anderson's favorite movie, and yes i would suck his dick), and this was my first rewatch. i was really quite drunk, and i wasn't sure it was the kind of movie that would hold my interest while drunk, but it did! still as great as i thought it was, maybe a bit less, and my few complaints jumped out again. a couple lines are silly, especially the distractingly anachronistic "i'm your brother from another mother" (well fuck, for all i know it was commonly used back then right?). i thought it was cute when i first saw the movie (i was like "oh pt, you're such a mad genius with your cute dialog that you unselfconsciously put into your profound stories, teehee"), but it really is just out of place. the other thing that's distracting is the use of the same actor for the brothers. i read all about what happened and why he did it, and yeah, paul dano is rad and was a great eli, but then you should have recast his brother! as it is, it just adds ambiguity to the story, since no one ever says anything about them being twins. in some films that would work really well but it was out of place here.

and some of johnny greenwood's score was distracting, particularly the piece that precedes and accompanies the eli mud scene. other parts are brilliant, especially the percussive piece during the big gusher. the resolving chords for the desert landscape at the beginning i also love deeply, although it is kind of melodramatic.

these are of course nitpicks. that's all you can do!

Greenberg - 7/10 - not terrible, not really that good and Stiller's character is a douchebag and I didn't like his performance, felt forced. What saved it for me was Greta Gerwig's character. I liked her, thought she played the part really well, she reminded me of a real person, not just a person acting. Otherwise it is fucking aimless and boring.

Guest vodor

big fan: 4/5

this was not at all what i expected. i read some reviews, heard part of an interview on NPR with the writer or whatever, and it was marketed as a film "written by the writer of the wrestler," about a guy who lives a sad pathetic life living with his mom who only enjoys sports and calling into sports radio shows. so naturally i was expecting a depressing movie about a sad self-destructive soul who through his unfortunate flaws manufactures his own sad existence and end.

well, i don't think so. maybe it's just who i am and what i believe, but i think the movie is about how fucking pointless a "conventional life" is, and how purpose and happiness can persist despite grievous interference from norm-mongers. seriously, that's what i got from it.

i was slightly to moderately drunk during this movie.

I thought there was a sequel. Or was it a prequel? An embarrassing space opera that I turned off after 10 minutes. Forget the name.

lol. Chronicles of riddick is the embarrassing space opera, it was the sequel to pitch black. I found it entertaining enough, but then again I have pretty low standards when it comes to sci-fi.

Guest vodor

yeah, i have since found out that:

- pitch black is a live-action prequel

- there's an animated entry called dark fury that fits in somewhere

- they've both appeared in my netflix queue

and seriously, the chronicles of riddick was some entertaining shit and is some of the best hollywood scifi that i've seen. now that's not saying a lot (because hollywood scifi is mostly ass, you see, and especially recently), but i'd recommend it to anyone who likes scifi, is open to fun action movies, and has low expectations from the film industry.

it's better than any of the new star wars episodes (i only saw phantom menace, but, fuck off, i know the other two are shit also).

Predators 8.5/10 = starts with a few nods to the original to settle you in then becomes it's own film with flavours of the original yet staying far away from being a cliched rip off like AVP2. Adrian Brodie is really good and even tho its a 15 it's almost as hardcore as the original plus its got Eric from the 70's show!!!!

tumblr_kqyalmD8TP1qa643ro1_500.jpg

I thought AVP1&2 were a bit toss but Predators is better than Predator 2 however nothing will ever match the original which is my fave film ever.

Predators 8.5/10 = starts with a few nods to the original to settle you in then becomes it's own film with flavours of the original yet staying far away from being a cliched rip off like AVP2. Adrian Brodie is really good and even tho its a 15 it's almost as hardcore as the original plus its got Eric from the 70's show!!!!

tumblr_kqyalmD8TP1qa643ro1_500.jpg

I thought AVP1&2 were a bit toss but Predators is better than Predator 2 however nothing will ever match the original which is my fave film ever.

i knew it would be good.

Guest -Ad-

Timecrimes was mentioned earlier in this thread as a good alternative to Primer. FYI UK Watmmers, it's on Film Four tonight at 11.05pm. I may well watch it myself

Guest abusivegeorge

About to watch "Distrct 9". Hoping it's good, I got it really cheap along with "The Crow" which is a film I've always loved.

predator 2 was forgettable but i'd actually be pretty shocked if Predators ended up being better.

Guest abusivegeorge

Predators definetly looks better than predator 2 in the trailer, predator 2 was a crock of shite.

Guest abusivegeorge

Vertigo - holy shit 9/10

Alfred Hitchcock and seriously worth watching, what a twisted and unexpectant film.

Archived