IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched 13 Assassins last night. It was OK. Reminded me a bit too much of Seven Samurai (guy recruits samurai to fight injustice, there's a misfit that they let into the group, final battle that turns the town into a bloodbath, etc.). The last fight was pretty cool, I guess. I had one big beef with the film:

They totally could've destroyed the opposing army by using bows because the other dudes didn't have much in the way of ranged weapons, apparently. Soo... why didn't they do that? The lead samurai even mentions that on the battlefield everything goes (unlike the dojo). I guess it wouldn't have been a very interesting climax to the movie if they just hung out and whittled away the 200 man army, but it would've made more sense. Then again, this is a movie that has some random forest spirit in it. I think the entire movie was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but it was giving me mixed messages.

It's a pretty good movie, but not amazing. On par with any action flick, imo.

they stopped using bows when there was 130 men left (10 men each) to let them die honourably like samurai with sword in hand.

really? i wasn't feeling the life aquatic when i saw it, seemed all knobby and whimsical

I don't even know what this movie is about. I always thought it was one of those hollywood failure, but i has 7.2 on Imbd so :shrug:

Guest ex-voto

Maybe it doesn't deserve a 9+, but yesterday we were both really drawn to it. Humorous, witty, colorful, smart. Emotionally it was a bit destabilizing. In one way it shows the passion of an "old" man that tries to make his last masterpiece. He fails, finds his "son" after 20 years, gets close to him, but then shit happens. It's a movie about struggle really.

Off topic: Also gaarg would you make me an avatar?

Drive

I didn't care for any of these characters, maybe I wasn't supposed to. The movie looked really slick and I guess the music was pretty good, but I was left feeling that the whole thing was a real waste of time. I mean I enjoyed the style of it about as much as I'd enjoy browsing an ikea catalogue or watching showroom footage. Not sure this movie knows what it is.

THE LIFE AQUATIC

saw it before but it really hit now. felt it.

9+

what a romp, innit, exvoto?

the life aquatic is one of my favorite movies. i just love everything about it. it's very stylish, has a solid ost, the acting is great and the story is thoughtful.

i pretty much love all of wes anderson's movies though (especially the fantastic mr fox!).

really? i wasn't feeling the life aquatic when i saw it, seemed all knobby and whimsical

hmm, i hated Amelie for being the same sort of whimsical comical drama. didn't expect to like this one so much, but the thing between the old zissou and his son is beautiful and aside from that i pretty much appreciated EVERY character.

KLAUS! and eleanor, the iron lady. Pele, the mysterious guitarist.

the theme of the final expedition and the self-deprecation, the ol' cap being humble (maybe even desperate), though still oozing grace and humor like a goddamned boss. so, okay, i was deeply touched, but at the same time i could see how irritating/knobby it could be if one's not in the mood.

well to be fair i didn't "keep it dry" either at all times. i guess that's why it's "the life aquatic".

i've been thinking about the film all day at work today, will be checking again as soon as home.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

not many films inspire people to don little red hats (or similar items from said film) and not on fancy dress days

after seeing todays Quint behind the scenes feature i spent over an hour reading about the contentious debate on who directed Poltergeist Hooper or Spielberg? It's actually pretty fascinating.

edit: the opening segment from the Twilight Zone movie along with Joe Dante's proto Tim Burton cartoon fun house one are great.

Archived