IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Guest zaphod

i thought gosling was supposed to be unlikeable and annoying in blue valentine..

I dunno, both of the characters were retarded and his change from vaguely stupid new york hipster to white trash bald eagle t-shirt receding hairline guy was unintentionally hilarious.

still think Gangs of New York has he best Daniel Day Lewis performance. Even though he's made to look silly throughout the film i think he's one of the most terrifying villains ever brought to screen.

Agreed. I own that movie to marvel at his performance in it. Gangs was a major edit away from being a great film. I know Mirezzi probably hates it and will say so, but he's wrong.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mirezzi

I definitely hated it, but mostly because of simple matters of interest...1. Fuck the lame story, 2. Fuck DiCaprio trying to be tough, and 3. Fuck Cameron Diaz in anything ever.

Guest zaphod

The Future - Striking. Beautiful. I've always loved Miranda July's brand of magical, wondrous film making. I listed You, Me and Everyone We Know in my top ten of the last decade, and The Future is vying for a place near the top of this young decade's best. Poignant, phenomenal work. 10/10

Guest Mirezzi

Take Shelter - Really shocked it was even made, but I appreciated every single thing about it including the much-discussed ending.

i still haven't seen Take Shelter, i'm kind of afraid of the powerfulness of that actor mixed with stories about someone having a delusional breakdown. I couldn't make it more than 45 minutes through Bug, not because it was 'bad' because it was just too fucking intense.

nice work! Yes they make love with each other through sperming about film that most of us think is boring, usually. Keep it up guys!

Guest Mirezzi

nice work! Yes they make love with each other through sperming about film that most of us think is boring, usually. Keep it up guys!

I think you have that in reverse. If my movie talk consisted mostly of things I spermed about, I'd have a post count of 12.

Of your 6831 posts, most of yours are spermish. Then, I come in, and shit on your sperm, but only after I've passed a double dildo between my buttcheeks and zaphod's buttcheeks...oh, and in that equation, I don't wanna be Jennifer Connelly. In fact, I want to be the dildo itself.

Guest zaphod

Atop - This non linear bildungsroman was shown at SXSW last year to a rapturous, five minute standing ovation. And, for once, the hype is justified. 9.7/10

Take Shelter - Really shocked it was even made, but I appreciated every single thing about it including the much-discussed ending.

One of my favorites of the year... easily.

I definitely hated it, but mostly because of simple matters of interest...1. Fuck the lame story, 2. Fuck DiCaprio trying to be tough, and 3. Fuck Cameron Diaz in anything ever.

lol, yes. But Day Lewis did turn in a great performance, despite everything.

Guest Mirezzi

lol, yes. But Day Lewis did turn in a great performance, despite everything.

I really do like him and respect his work ethic as an actor, but he wears me out to be perfectly honest. That level of overacting is really not my cup of tea. Ever seen The Crucible? You should watch the final 10 minutes for some of the most breathtakingly cheesepuff thespianism ever recorded by a camera.

Same goes for There Will Be Blood. I respect actors as much for what they don't do and Day-Lewis does too much IMHO.

LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsJMcnxDIgw

actually, I agree. I didn't like him earlier in his career, for example in "In the Name of the Father" and some other flicks, precisely due to the overacting element. But now that he's playing evil characters I think he's really found his place. He is still the ultimate scene-stealer/scenery-chewer, so any movie with him in it becomes "A Daniel Day Lewis movie." And I think at the very end of TWBB he loses it a bit, with the monkey-like walking and over-the-top hatred of his son, would have been better I think if they were pitched down a bit, more menacing than cartoonish. But there are some other scenes in there that I can't imagine any other actor handling so well, such as the "baptism" scene (lol), or the moment he realizes his "brother" is a phony (it's just a close up of DDL's eyes, but you can see the dawning realization, pretty uncanny imo).

while i totally see what you're saying here, i still disagree. as outrageous as his role in gangs was, some of my favorite scenes are just him acting with a wordless look, a play of the eyes that is so charged and alive. sometimes his method can get carried away but i accept that as a consequence of his boldness, his willingness to go out where many actors never would or where they might feel they should "do less" in a scene out of taste or tact, or even worse for the sake of "art." sure there's always something a bit much to his performances which can lead to cheese, but without his extreme conviction we would miss out on all the breakthrough roles he's performed. and in general I think he forges new ground in most of his roles, despite or maybe because of his willingness to get in over his head.

edit: didn't seem lump's post when I replied

Guest Mirezzi

When I watch Day-Lewis in GONY or TWBB, I think, "This is a dumb story. Meanwhile, wow, look at that fucking guy over there going crazy and completely losing his shit."

The film itself and the character being portrayed by Day-Lewis are almost entirely separate entities.

When I watch Day-Lewis in GONY or TWBB, I think, "This is a dumb story. Meanwhile, wow, look at that fucking guy over there going crazy and completely losing his shit."

The film itself and the character being portrayed by Day-Lewis are almost entirely separate entities.

lol, and pretty true...although I find nothing to dislike with the TWBB story...GONY on the other hand...

i'm gonna ignore you for a sec in order to flirt with lumpy

*makes DDL eyes at Alcofribas*

Archived