IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Guest Mirezzi

I shouldn't imply that I hated TWBB, because that's not really true. I liked it a lot more than GONY.

All the same, as with Diaz and DiCaprio in GONY, there was an unforgivable issue with TWBB:

THIS FUCKING ASSHOLE:

paul-dano1.jpg

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha

i'm torn about GONY bc i thought it really sucked. i mean, the story was cheesy as fuck, Diaz and DiCap were really weak, the finale was just atrocious...but somehow ddl makes it all worthwhile. dont get me wrong, when lady alcofribas and I saw it recently we were pretty pissed, but we still remember ddl as though his character came from some primordial substance or something.

anyway, lump when should we meet? for sex

omfg that guy!

Guest Mirezzi

Nice, looking forward to your thoughts on it. I may actually indulge all one of my WATMM fans with a thoughtful critique session/dialog!

I thought the GoNY was intended to be overthetop and operatic in nature... so I took it for just that.

DDL killed it in GoNY because the film IS and represents everything that is DDL.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

Take shelter was a really good watch but the ending was so rushed and kinda made me hate it.

I don't mind an ambiguous ending but this one was a slap in the face

Take shelter was a really good watch but the ending was so rushed and kinda made me hate it.

I don't mind an ambiguous ending but this one was a slap in the face

[pretentious interpretation]

I thought the ending was perfect. The film wasn't about if the storm comes or not, if it's real or fabricated, it was about the mental derailment of Curtis. Although I guess it, being the storm at the end, could be interpreted as either a dream, real, or as I saw it, a physical metaphor (fuck, hate using that word) for schizophrenia: the on-going struggle deciphering the difference between real and unreal experiences...

[\pretentious interpretation]

ok, just finished it (Take Shelter). First impression is it didn't do much for me...First 20-30 mins were great, built a great mood, then it dragged through the middle and I just wanted it to be over. The focus became solving the mystery of whether he was crazy or clairvoyant, rather than a portrait of mental illness...I guess that was part of the intent though, to serve as a metaphor for modern paranoia/isolationism or something? Dunno. On the plus side it was pretty impeccably made and I love the modern trend of using high-quality cg in art house flicks. Michael Shannon was very solid but I wasn't as blown away by his performance as I thought I might be.

Of recent films in the same vein, I think I liked the way "Martha Marcy May Marlene" (or whatever it was called) handled mental illness better (albeit of a totally different kind)...and for capturing that weird paranoid, claustrophobic feeling I think I liked "A Serious Man" better...apart from the first 20-30 mins, this one just seemed to be lacking that Lynchian element that would keep things slightly off-kilter and surreal throughout...I also felt like I could predict everything that was coming in the film, including the ending...

I think there is a brilliant film out there just waiting to be made about mental illness, that uses cg to amplify the effect, but this wasn't quite it. Like an updated Heavenly Creatures...

Dunno, I want to hear your guy's thoughts!

...this one just seemed to be lacking that Lynchian element that would keep things slightly off-kilter and surreal throughout

I dunno.... that's what I sort of appreciated about it and what made it such a strong film for me. Films always seem to tie the surreal and mental illness theme together (Fight Club, Jacobs Ladder, A Beautiful Mind).... Leaving you with that "DUDE DAT JUST BLEW MY MIND LULZ" type of feeling. That is what I found refreshing about this and also Martha Marcy May Marlene.

to lumpy: WOH NOW!!!!

I also thought 'Take Shelter' was painfully boring.

'Martha Marcy May Marlene' was one of my favourites last year. Gotta love films about cults! The edits from her life with her sister and her life in the cult are brilliant at times.

to Zaphod: My coming of age film will be loved by all!

Guest zaphod

Gladiator - Boy was I wrong. Russel Crowe delivers a career best in this poignant, emotionally wrought, inspirational epic from the director of White Squall and Matchstick Men. The story is innovative, the action is easy to follow, and the soundtrack is never distracting. Call me entertained! 10/10

Guest Deep Fried Everything

Gladiator - Boy was I wrong. Russel Crowe delivers a career best in this poignant, emotionally wrought, inspirational epic from the director of White Squall and Matchstick Men. The story is innovative, the action is easy to follow, and the soundtrack is never distracting. Call me entertained! 10/10

every time i've tried to watch this film (under force or of my own volition), i've fallen asleep. the extraordinarily choppy editing, esp. in the fight scenes, and extremely loud sound just overwhelmed me to the point where my collective senses threw in the towel and shut me down.

edit: every time = twice

I much prefer the female bodybuilder soft-core flick Gluteator, in which our heroine learns that facesitting is the ultimate spectator sport... and the ultimate weapon.

Also it's empowering.

I think I've seen the Gladiator once and I guess I was as entertained you can be for a romp of that sort. But I don't understand why so many people praise it to high heaven. It's not THAT good.

pure fucking mayhem - 80 minutes of thickest of the thick accents delivering zero interesting info. i think there's more stuff on wiki. the way the hungarian singer struggles to tell us what 'ordo ad chao' means was painful most.

also - young varg vilkernes looks like weird al yankovic, which is kinda mindfucking.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

A serious man was about mental illness?

yes, being jewish

I just lobbed you that nice and easy softball didn't I

flolol

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

Of recent films in the same vein, I think I liked the way "Martha Marcy May Marlene" (or whatever it was called) handled mental illness better (albeit of a totally different kind)...

is being in a cult a mental illness? brainwashing is perhaps a mental illness....ok i'll give you that one. agreed it was a more successful film.

the sad thing about take shelter is that i believe the director wanted the response that he got. he's probably rubbing his hands together with glee excited that no-one "got" his film properly, the fools. but we got it and felt tricked

'Martha Marcy May Marlene' was one of my favourites last year. Gotta love films about cults! The edits from her life with her sister and her life in the cult are brilliant at times.

yes one of my favorites. subtle but effective

Guest Mirezzi

A serious man was about mental illness?

tee-ball.jpg

Excited about this Martha movie...gonna check it out!

Archived