IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Hulk: 3/10

Come on, the demon poodles have to count for something. Are there demon poodles in The Avengers? I mean, why wouldn't there be? Why would they leave them out? Yeah, there are gonna be poodles.

he could be talking about the extremely pointless Edward Norton one

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cult fiction

did you enjoy it?

Cabin in the Woods was awesome - if you're a Joss Whedon fan you will definitely enjoy it. If you're a horror fan, you will probably enjoy it(not very "scary" but loads of horror monsters and gore). If you're not a horror fan, you will still probably enjoy it because the entire movie is a meta commentary on horror(but not in an annoying way).

Go see it!!!

10e3szb.jpg

9/10

This looks good hadn't heard about it, thanks for the heads up

something about the title, synopsis and movie poster for this looks unwatchable to me, am i wrong?

The trailer made me cringe so bad I might have to get some teeth replaced.

i haven't watched the trailer but i heard it makes it look pretentious as fuck (which the film wasn't imo).

i just watched the trailer and goddamn that was off putting.

Guest RadarJammer

Kaiji pretty darn cool flick, these sorts of Japanese movies invariably have some comic bookish overacting which can be a bit distracting but that's just the style of movies over there and looking past that I give it 8/10 its got the same protagonist guy from Battle Royale

trailer

Ive watched the original anime, its so drawn out and full of overacting, i love it dearly. might check out this live action version!

Yeah, i couldn't watch the anime. But the idea of a film is more bearable. Like you said, it dragged on. Whereas with a film it'll be nice and tidy.

Just finished watching Kaiji 2 I'm not sure if its connected to the anime/manga at all. It wasn't nearly as cool but it was still pretty fun and if you enjoy the first pone I suggest seeing the sequel as well. 6/10

did you enjoy it?

Cabin in the Woods was awesome - if you're a Joss Whedon fan you will definitely enjoy it. If you're a horror fan, you will probably enjoy it(not very "scary" but loads of horror monsters and gore). If you're not a horror fan, you will still probably enjoy it because the entire movie is a meta commentary on horror(but not in an annoying way).

Go see it!!!

I have seen it and love it, was just wondering if you liked it.

and

BTSfullmetaljacketkub.jpg?1336422087

Guest zaphod

sound of my voice - really liked this. it never quite fulfills the promise of its first half, but i didn't really mind. as far as films about cults with ambiguous endings go, it's a bit better than martha marcy..., although fairly different in content. 8/10

La Cicatrice Interieure

The French art film that accompanies Nico's album Desertshore (the cover of the album is a still from the film).

It's basically a full hour of Nico walking through the desert and having pseudo-symbolical interactions with some kid, a naked guy and horses.

I usually appreciate slow monotonous "poetic" movies (and I loved director Garrell's earlier Le Revelateur), but this was quite awful. Sixties hipster art wankery. I threw my copy of Desertshore in the dustbin after coming home from this screening.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

sound of my voice - really liked this. it never quite fulfills the promise of its first half, but i didn't really mind. as far as films about cults with ambiguous endings go, it's a bit better than martha marcy..., although fairly different in content. 8/10

tough one but i think i prefered martha marcy may marlene because of the way it was put together where you couldnt tell at what point in the timeline the scene was for a few minutes. somv not far behind though.

i expected it to be a thriller. will they get caught/found out, edge of the seat type stuff but it wasn't scary at all. loved the ending too

If you're not a horror fan, you will still probably enjoy it because the entire movie is a meta commentary on horror(but not in an annoying way).

I think as a pretty ardent horror fan, this had to have been my favorite thing about the movie.

For me, the film was like a really smart divergence from the standard sort of visceral, terrorized-by-a-killer-just-because horror convention. And I say it was a smart divergence, because the film constructs a mythology that actually contextualizes these conventions in a really wildly original way.

Also, it was pretty fucking funny.

Anyway, just re-watched Videodrome, which I just picked up on Blu-Ray (I've only had my first HDTV for a week, and goddamn, I love it.) I would rather not rate the film, but instead say it is my favorite Cronenberg, by a mile.

he's laughing at the suggestion that, per the idiomatic expression, you like the sound of your own voice

he's a fucking dog, though, and therefore an idiot

Edit: I'd like to check out the film... yours was the first mention of it that I've seen, but I'm totally out of the loop and up my own ass these days. Haven't seen Martha etc yet, either.

/useless post

Guest RadarJammer

The Grey the short voice over intro was really really hard to get through, It was only a couple minutes but I was on the edge of turning it off right there. The movie was pretty nifty but It felt like peppered throughout were script revisions made by a 15 year old emotionally distraught poet boy and they probably trained a few monkeys to perform the soundtrack.

Guest Mirezzi

Network - Such a classic film that I'm almost bashful to admit that I only recently screened it. It opens, arguably, with one of the best first acts ever filmed. Unfortunately, the rails fall off toward the end as it devolves into hyper-preachy nonsense. Nonetheless, its status is well deserved.

"I'm MAD as HELL..."

Network is definitely one of my top ten favorite films.

edit: hyper-preachy but so amazingly relevant and ahead of its time

Guest zaphod

the gravy train - utter lol. terrence malick wrote this and was supposed to direct it. my friend has a burned rip from a television broadcast and we watched it back to back with

deliverance - 10/10

Seven Samurai 9/10

I never had the patience for this film before, but this time around I was ready to give it a proper try. What a lovely film! It never feels as long as it is. Every scene is a work of art. You can tell how many films were inspired by this, and something like that usually makes the original pointless, but Seven Samurai has, in the midst of great story, characters and action, an odd Japanese independence. It's filled with cultural sentiments that never got their way into the possibly countless spiritual adaptations, so it still feels unique and fresh. Alive or dead, by the end none of the heroes are spared from their cultural restrictions.

The strong personalities of the characters and their sidestories, as well as the constant oscillation between happy and sad moments, reminds me of Ingmar Bergman's best work. Anyway, I will make sure to check out more of Kurosawa's work.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring 8/10

Very slow, sorta Buddhist flick about nature and simple portrayals of humanity's blessings and curses. It's strangely beautiful, set in a Korean monestary floating on a lake in the middle of nowhere, with only 2 people and a few animals as inhabitants. The title evokes its cyclical nature. Any description seems to make it sound bad and sentimental, but it's actually quite moving.

Fuck, I still haven't seen a Kurosawa flick, and I have Sanjiro AND Seven Samurai (although the latter of the two is a shitty grey market dvd.) Although I actually want to watch High and Low first, for some reason.

I just screened Inferno on Blu-Ray last night. Have seen it many a time, but goddamn, I love HD. Still not sure whether I prefer this or Suspiria more, but Inferno is so wonderfully labyrinthine by comparison, like the primary goal of the film was instilling a mood rather than telling a straight story. And fuck, I love the lighting work so damned much, UGH

Archived