IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Winters Bone is really good 9/10

Shaun of the Dead - Will always love this movie/10

You can't be serious

The Artist, watched this movie with a joint and some wine while my gf was snorring next to me, 9/10 :cry:

is The Artist really that good? I skipped around and it was all silent film.

it did something with me that movie, but i'm sure not everyone can enjoy it

Shaun of the dead was ok but i didn't think it was that funny, never had the desire to watch again, maybe i should?

Commando- fucking lolx1000/10

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't be serious

The Artist, watched this movie with a joint and some wine while my gf was snorring next to me, 9/10 :cry:

LOL

I didn't know before that it was completely silent. I started watching it now and its quite enjoyable as the story progresses.

You can't be serious

it did something with me that movie, but i'm sure not everyone can enjoy it

Shaun of the dead was ok but i didn't think it was that funny, never had the desire to watch again, maybe i should?

Commando- fucking lolx1000/10

yeah I think you have to let it progress a bit so you get into the way of storytelling as you are not used to it anymore today.

I remember Shaun of the dead as mediocre comedy but it seems to have a hardcore fan base

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

mission impossible 4 ghostprotocol/10

some fun action scenes and some terrible writing. when it slowed down for jeremy renner to tell his story wow was i bored. you can't have a fastpaced action film and then slow it down for nothing. the story about him feeling bad for letting hunt's wife get killed - didnt give a shit about it. if i wanted to watch a film with "feelings" i wouldn't be watching MI4:GP.

some fun action scenes and some terrible writing. when it slowed down for jeremy renner to tell his story wow was i bored. you can't have a fastpaced action film and then slow it down for nothing. the story about him feeling bad for letting hunt's wife get killed - didnt give a shit about it. if i wanted to watch a film with "feelings" i wouldn't be watching MI4:GP.

I got the same exact reaction from this film.

Guest Mirezzi

I got the same exact reaction from this film.

I thought it was boring...and I watched in in IMAX. Just too much action and too little writing. Too much Tom Cruise 50 year-old weird mutant body.

I thought mission imposible 4 was pretty sweet, the only MxIx i didn't fell asleep at and omg it even had some humour!

not dissapointed ( i was expecting it to suck again) so 8/10! best one i'v seen in the series

the return of the texas chainsaw massacre aka the new generation - i love that it turns the leatherface crowd into a normal family who can't agree on a thing and fights over random stuff but in general just cares about eachother. mcconaughey as the psycho kinda gives off the psycho christian bale vibe, which is cool, but the real star is darla. she doesn't give a fuck that her boyfriend kills people, she's just so bored she flashes some teenagegs and chitchats with a pizza guy like its another boring day at the office. her casual attitude cracks me up.

opening 30 minutes are a bit of a pain and the movie never really resolves into anyhting other than nonsense, but the middle part is glorious. cabin in the woods crowd should really give this one a chance.

Guest zaphod

my own private idaho - 9/10

walkabout - 9/10

don't look now - 7/10

alien - 8/10

aliens - game over/10

alien 3 - 8/10

alien resurrection - 2/10

wow, high reviews from Zaphod!

I too LOVE My Own Private Idaho. Completely flawed and completely pure at the same time. I think it probably feels like a very personal film for all the people it "clicks" with, sort of the way BoC's music feels personal to those who connect with it.

Have only seen Walkabout once when I was very young, would like to re-watch.

Guest zaphod

it's a great movie, maybe the only by van sant that has really clicked with me. and keanu reeves is actually...good? :wacko:

yeah, I'd agree with that (about it possibly being Van Sant's only great film). I haven't seen that many of his flicks though. Saw Drugstore Cowboy many years ago but it didn't make much of an impression on me. Started to watch Milk but got bored and turned it off. I'm curious about Gerry and Elephant, but haven't seen them. I watched part of "To Die For", would be interested to see the whole thing one day.

Keanu Reeves is always Keanu Reeves, I think it just depends if you like that or not. I happen to like him, he's a really good everyman (he's much more tolerable than say, Nicholas Cage). Hearing him recite Shakespeare in the film is pretty embarrassing, but there's no doubt that he fits the role of a young gigolo well (wasn't he reputed to have been David Geffen's boy toy? In any case, he radiates a kind of natural "hard to get" male eroticism that works well for the film). Off the top of my head I think the films I liked him in most were the Matrix, My Own Private Idaho, Constantine, Point Break...probably good in Speed too, though I can't think of that film without thinking of Sandra Bullock, which makes me cringe...

edit: oh yeah, and The Devil's Advocate. He's not very convincing playing a lawyer, but the overall film is great (can't believe they changed the writhing sculpture at the end due to copyright issues! I just learned that when I watched the dvd again recently...sheeeeiiittt)

Guest RadarJammer

john carter

way better than i expected.

Yeah I just enjoyed it thoroughly, Before watching I had no idea what the story was and I hadn't seen a trailer so It was really fresh and super fun out of ten.

The Island (2011, a bulgarian film, not the hollywood one with ewan mcgregor) 8/10. This film seems to be better the less you know about it. It starts out like a semi-depressing romantic drama, but soon spirals into something very strange, in an amazing way. Great cinematography.

Simon & The Oaks - 10/10 Best swedish film I've seen in a long, long, long time. It's about two boys coming of age during world war 2. Lots of crazy twists and turns. Unexpectedly dark story about disappointment and secrets in relationships.

The Island (2011, a bulgarian film, not the hollywood one with ewan mcgregor) 8/10. This film seems to be better the less you know about it. It starts out like a semi-depressing romantic drama, but soon spirals into something very strange, in an amazing way. Great cinematography.

could you post a picture? There are about 3 movies that year called the island

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1737256/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1737256/

thanks

yeah, I'd agree with that (about it possibly being Van Sant's only great film). I haven't seen that many of his flicks though. Saw Drugstore Cowboy many years ago but it didn't make much of an impression on me. Started to watch Milk but got bored and turned it off. I'm curious about Gerry and Elephant, but haven't seen them. I watched part of "To Die For", would be interested to see the whole thing one day.

if milk got you bored, elephant will probably put you in a coma. same with last days. never seen gerry.

Guest RadarJammer

Silmido this movie just plain kicks ass. Its based on the amazing true story of a group of South Korean death row inmates recruited into a special team created and trained for a mission to try and assassinate North Korean president Kim Il Sung. 9.5/10

The full movie is on Youtube with english subs but I would recommend finding a good rip.

Guest zaphod

Keanu Reeves is always Keanu Reeves, I think it just depends if you like that or not. I happen to like him, he's a really good everyman (he's much more tolerable than say, Nicholas Cage). Hearing him recite Shakespeare in the film is pretty embarrassing, but there's no doubt that he fits the role of a young gigolo well (wasn't he reputed to have been David Geffen's boy toy? In any case, he radiates a kind of natural "hard to get" male eroticism that works well for the film). Off the top of my head I think the films I liked him in most were the Matrix, My Own Private Idaho, Constantine, Point Break...probably good in Speed too, though I can't think of that film without thinking of Sandra Bullock, which makes me cringe...

edit: oh yeah, and The Devil's Advocate. He's not very convincing playing a lawyer, but the overall film is great (can't believe they changed the writhing sculpture at the end due to copyright issues! I just learned that when I watched the dvd again recently...sheeeeiiittt)

you're right about keanu. he's good when he's just playing a blank slate. devil's advocate was pretty awesome and he does one of the more convincing crying scenes i've seen in a movie after charlize theron puts a piece of glass in her neck.

did you think river phoenix was good? i was never really convinced of his acting ability but i thought he was fairly strong in idaho. shame he's dead.

also elephant is extremely boring and heavy handed. i wouldn't recommend it. for some reason i kind of enjoyed last days even though it's one of the slowest movies i've ever seen. it's probably not a good movie though.

Archived