IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prometheus: 8/10 as far as blockbusters go.

A bit too fussy to get a bigger number, still done better than a lot of recent Hollywood-like movies.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

but seriously. how can you end your incredible film with a scene that doesn't make sense. alien was taking a nap is the best I can work out. or maybe it knew it had her trapped or it knew it needed her to fly? fuck knows. haven't rewatched aliens but the trailer makes it look ridiculous and nothing how i remember it

wait, you're serious?

I dunno dude, if I were a stealthy predator with even a low level of sentience, who had just murdered and skull fucked an entire crew as per my instinctual drive, I would probably head toward a place (a) where I could be stealthy and hide my weird-ass dick-skull up until the point (b) where I would need to murder/skull-fuck/eat/cocoon/whatever things again, which means I should probably do it near those warm bodies or the anticipated next location of those warm bodies (If the alien being able to plan that much is problematic, basically all of Aliens makes no sense. Fucking elevators, how do they work?). The cat was perched at the entry way of the escape craft, and the alien was sort of checking Jones out and appeared to be sort of considering shit, so it's not that far fetched that it would select the craft as a future hiding/dining location.

And the whole stealthy hiding/camouflaging thing is anticipated by the Giger's biomech set designs of like nested dick-skulls inside hardened vaginal secretions, and the thing is shown as being a stealth hunter throughout the film, so its location scouting at the end seems to me to be just good sci-fi writing to the extent a sci-fi alien would be based on evolutionary biology and behavior and good shit like that.

so it was trying to hide? i know the ship is small but I'm not convinced, there was a cupboard/closet nearby which makes a great place to jump out of. great movie but weak point almost ruins the ending. flushing it out was great though.

i think basically the esape pod was too well lit and the alien looked too rubbersuity so they tried to hide it but forgot to make sense.

up to this point we're lead to believe this thing is fucking killing machine and now it can't play hide n seek so good...

but seriously. how can you end your incredible film with a scene that doesn't make sense. alien was taking a nap is the best I can work out. or maybe it knew it had her trapped or it knew it needed her to fly? fuck knows. haven't rewatched aliens but the trailer makes it look ridiculous and nothing how i remember it

wait, you're serious?

I dunno dude, if I were a stealthy predator with even a low level of sentience, who had just murdered and skull fucked an entire crew as per my instinctual drive, I would probably head toward a place (a) where I could be stealthy and hide my weird-ass dick-skull up until the point (b) where I would need to murder/skull-fuck/eat/cocoon/whatever things again, which means I should probably do it near those warm bodies or the anticipated next location of those warm bodies (If the alien being able to plan that much is problematic, basically all of Aliens makes no sense. Fucking elevators, how do they work?). The cat was perched at the entry way of the escape craft, and the alien was sort of checking Jones out and appeared to be sort of considering shit, so it's not that far fetched that it would select the craft as a future hiding/dining location.

And the whole stealthy hiding/camouflaging thing is anticipated by the Giger's biomech set designs of like nested dick-skulls inside hardened vaginal secretions, and the thing is shown as being a stealth hunter throughout the film, so its location scouting at the end seems to me to be just good sci-fi writing to the extent a sci-fi alien would be based on evolutionary biology and behavior and good shit like that.

Plus, from a script perspective, after 2 hours of Dan O'Bannon indulging in his (stated) desire to scare the piss out of male audience members by visually referencing homosexual oral rape and skull fucking and egg laying inside dudes, it really just makes thematic sense to have an amazon-tall lady in her undies pair up with the ultimate rapist, and have amazon-tall undie lady just totally give the rapist the old I spit on your grave treatment.

exactly. I also like how nonchalant it makes him, like "I own this ship, just gonna take a little catnap here to digest and wait for the tastiest morsel to drop by"

wait, you're serious?

so it was trying to hide? i know the ship is small but I'm not convinced, there was a cupboard/closet nearby which makes a great place to jump out of. great movie but weak point almost ruins the ending. flushing it out was great though.

i think basically the esape pod was too well lit and the alien looked too rubbersuity so they tried to hide it but forgot to make sense.

up to this point we're lead to believe this thing is fucking killing machine and now it can't play hide n seek so good...

dude, don't even bother trying to figure out what the writers were thinking....apparently in Alien they had absolutely no problem with everyone dying except for a weakass kitten.....fuck that cat FUCK THAT MOVIE>

im probably going to break down and watch Prometheus....is there a cat in it?

wait, you're serious?

dude, don't even bother trying to figure out what the writers were thinking....apparently in Alien they had absolutely no problem with everyone dying except for a weakass kitten.....fuck that cat FUCK THAT MOVIE>

im probably going to break down and watch Prometheus....is there a cat in it?

Prometheus prominently features a pet chinchilla named Reggie and it's the only survivor. It actually thrives because the planet in prometheus is like rilly dusty

The Baader Meinhof Complex - Engaging biopic of militant left-wing german radicals in the 60s-70s. If you weren't alive at this time, you may have no idea of the crazy shit these guys accomplished. I wished it had given more context - it's pretty much limited to its characters - but they already crammed a lot of stuff into a fairly long film. Quite depressing when you consider how much further American Imperialism has gone since the 70s, how far corporate wealth has expanded and how far the rich/poor divide has spread while most young people are entirely apolitical and apathetic. Also, some great boobs, if you're into that sort of thing. 7.7 / 10

ha I think I gave almost an identical review after I saw it except for a higher rating. Powerful, nuanced & informative film, exactly what I want from a historical drama.

ah ... yeah.... about that....

half of that review was copy and pasted from yours

:whistling:

This whole Alien hiding in the wall thing is overblown. The bit that always bothered me in Alien was when Dallas was in the vent shafts and he turns around to see the alien... and the alien does jazz hands at him.

Always makes me chuckle, which isn't the intention I'm sure.

Let's face it, Ridley Scott's early movies have their flaws too. There are cheesy monster movie moments in Alien. How much goofy film noir mugging and how many shmaltzy lines are delivered in Blade Runner? The movie is full of them.

Let's face it, Ridley Scott's early movies have one specific flaw. There is a cat that doesn't die in Alien. How much goofy film noir mugging and how many shmaltzy lines are delivered in Blade Runner? The movie is full of them.

Guest Frankie5fingers

im pretty sure that the only reason that the alien was trying to kill everyone was due to the fact that everyone was trying to kill it. like pattern says, way the hell would bother with the cat? last i checked the cat never once picked up a gun and fired at the alien.

but in the end youre all trying to analize a SciFi movie. A SCIFI MOVIE! it doesnt have to make any sense at all as long as they add some science words in there. if Riddly Scott wanted the alien to have no mouth but yet was able to shit bannanas he could. ITS HIS MOVIE. so just do what i do when i see something that makes no sense,

Suspend your disbelief. it makes watching movies so much more enjoyable. :biggrin:

seems to be very little love for Alien in this forum compared to the infinite decker dick rides

I love both Bladerunner and Alien quite a bit. I was merely saying that they have their flaws as well. Seems everyone judges his more recent films much more harshly then his earlier works.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Indie Game: The Movie - 8.4/10 - Really inspiring, good stuff. HBO? Might turn it into a TV show?

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Uhh yeah

"The film enjoyed a rousing response at the Sundance Film Festival earlier this year where it was optioned by HBO and producer Scott Rudin as the premise for a potential HBO dramatic television series."

Would not mind if this happened.

Ooops too late to make that into one post I guess.

Anyway, really good docu

Guest Frankie5fingers

its a great film. i don't like much of the others but the first was pretty amazing. its much better than most SciFi shit thats made nowadays.

I thought Alien was popular round here? It's one of my favourite films.

If I had watched an edited version without cats, it would have easily been a 9/10 for me.

I give the original theatrical Alien cut a 9.5/10. The "Director's Cut," which isn't actually Ridley's preferred cut but was a Fox marketing exercise, suffers from pacing issues, and I'd drop it to a 9.4/10.

But Terry Gilliam's alternate "Cat Conquers All" cut is 10/10

Archived