IGNORED

Musical Intelligence Theory

skotosa

Do you think it's a problem that you'd essentially be assigning these MI values off the top of your head, with no criteria to explain your choice?

Also, hy stop at giving an MI values for songs/tracks. Why not also include sounds in nature, like storms, washing machines, farts, your neighbour having an argument with his girlfriend?

Yes thats why I'm not. The right people would and I'm not sure who those are and there won't ever be.

I understand where your going with your second comment. Let me just say that this was a Psychological attempt at explaining why and don't be shocked if this ever comes up by some famous physiologist in the near future either.

I guess what I was trying to get at was: suppose you find the right people. What reasons are they going to give for assigning a particular MI value to a particular song? Are they going to just say "this song should have a higher one than this" and not justify it, or is there going to be some sort of index that they can use to calculate the MI numbers? If there is this index, I don't know why you need to wait for the right people, you can just go ahead and do it. If there isn't, then what reason do we have to believe that they aren't just making up random numbers?

Also, those sharks are awesome.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think it's a problem that you'd essentially be assigning these MI values off the top of your head, with no criteria to explain your choice?

Also, hy stop at giving an MI values for songs/tracks. Why not also include sounds in nature, like storms, washing machines, farts, your neighbour having an argument with his girlfriend?

Yes thats why I'm not. The right people would and I'm not sure who those are and there won't ever be.

I understand where your going with your second comment. Let me just say that this was a Psychological attempt at explaining why and don't be shocked if this ever comes up by some famous physiologist in the near future either.

I guess what I was trying to get at was: suppose you find the right people. What reasons are they going to give for assigning a particular MI value to a particular song? Are they going to just say "this song should have a higher one than this" and not justify it, or is there going to be some sort of index that they can use to calculate the MI numbers? If there is this index, I don't know why you need to wait for the right people, you can just go ahead and do it. If there isn't, then what reason do we have to believe that they aren't just making up random numbers?

Also, those sharks are awesome.

Yeah I agree with your every statement. Unfortunately I haven't thought that far and this was an Idea/Outline for a possibility.

I don't agree with referring to musical taste as "intelligence". It really is a condition of appeal, which can vary from person to person, much like food; some people like more spice in their food, some people don't mind bland food, some people like music as long as it is energetic, while others prefer ambient droning with minimal melodies.

Stupid people can like good food, and smart people can like bad music.

I give Mozart 6.7 and final fantasy soundtrakcs an millions intlegence poants. on a scale. based on how geniouse they are.

in my opinion, using the term MI can be accepted only if you have any concept of rules by which you are gonna rate the songs, it is a too large of a view while using MI term without it... altought stuff like these:

http://artsites.ucsc.edu/faculty/cope/experiments.htm

http://books.google.com/books?id=JKcNAAAAIAAJ&q=music+intelligence&dq=music+intelligence&hl=en

can change my opinion

Yes, Indeed. Killface was the best. Used his name on Steam for a good while, Till I found this. ḩ̶̶̴̰͈͓̣͎̹ ͚͍̙̘ͭͬͬ̈͌̈́ ̌́͢a̢̜̪̮̯͚̯̥ ̞̞͛̆̒͗ͣ̋̓̀͢ ͟ǭ̵̟̙̩͔̟̳̫̯ ͚͙͕͖̰͔͓̘̞̏͆ ̒͋̍̑͘͘͟ͅs̻͕̲ ̟̮̜̩̩ͬ̓ͬ̓ͨ̑ ̓͞ͅ.̴̨̡̢̣̜̜͕ ͔̤̟͇͕̣̤ͤ̈̊̽ ̎̇ͭͭ̐͆̿ͯ̆̌͟

̩͉̮̞̺̳̠͙̯͇̙ ̥̥̩̥̥̹̦ͬ̇̌̒ ͗̌ͩ̑͂̄͌ͨ͒̃ͬ ́͝Iͧ̄̓ͤ̂͒ͦ͊̍ ͆͂͑̚͏͘҉҉̜̖ ̖͇̼͕̭ͅṋ̢̨͇͔ ͔͙̤͉̭͚̻̗̥̖̼ ̯̯̋̎̿͆ͮ̆́͆̾ ͜͟͟v̷̢̟͕̝͋͛ͧ ͧ̐̄͛̀̏̅̑͋͒̈ ́̽̿̋͑ͅŏ̴̴͉͍ ͈̮̺̫̻̪͙̟̬̀ͪ ̎̓̇̉̽̋͛̓͒ͩ̽ ͦ̇ͤ̀͞k̩̣͉̦͓ͫ ͌ͪ̔͑́̚͝ì̷̵̶̢ ̼̙̯͉̙̦̖̙̣͓̟ ͙̻͍̫̝̖ͭͬͫͭ͑ ͤ̑͌̀ͅn̵̠͍̩̤͕ ̫̐̽ͦ͌̇̕ģ̖͔̬ ̲̘̤̠͕̫͔̱̹͇̼ ̭ͯͩ͌͑͘ͅ ̷̢̧̹̺̲̼̜̲̩̦ ͉̱̘̬̺̻̫͓̤͒ͣ ̀̓̒̋ͣ̋ͭ̃͒͒͡ t̸̠̳̮̩̠̦̱̮̠͚ ͉̼̺͉͇͇̮ͦ̄̆̄ ͢͡͠h͙̳̙͙̺̲̤̼ ̥̬͍͔̳͙̻͇͆̿̂ ͪ̽̈ͯ̆ͤ̓̅̌̂̋ ̀ͅẽ̢̎͆̒ͦ͂͒͊ ̄̀͝҉̥̯̫̣͙͚̮ ̪̩̰͈̦̮ ̶̓̽̎͐͂́̈͆́͏ ̖̠̲̙͎̰̫̻̦̞̮ ̫̖̳̯͜ͅf̡̭̩͎̬ ̜̪̘̯̬̬̆̈̉̇͂ ͨ͞ẹ̛͍̰͈̝̪̯̮ ̞̫̩̫̠̤̝̙̲͚̲ ̿͊̌̉̏͒ͨ͌̔͜͠ ė̸̬̫̼̻͓͇̖̥̺ ̼͋͛͋̎̎͊̅͋̾̀ ́̚̕l̶͉̮̥̣̥̋ͤ ͗͐͊̀̆͐̎̌͐ͮͩ ̏͢ḯ̧̩̣͓̻̣̗͗ ͊ͤ̒ͩ͟͞n̡͛ͥ͌̉ ́ͣ́͌͋ͤ͑ͬ͒ͧ̐ ̾҉̘͕̙̟̫̗̙̝͙ ̫ģ̴̵̳͍̦̭̫̺̻ ͔͚͖̣͈̖͔̤̼̈́ ͩͭͪ̌̄ͪ̋̎̌͋̿ ̑̊̃ͤ͗ ̵̛̯̥̭̰̪͓̭̰̭ ̘̠ͦ̽̓ͦͧ̽͌͆͒ ̈́̏ͮ͐̊̚̕͡oͩ̓ ̋̇̐ͤ̋ͦͣ͆̈̚͏ ̴̵͡͏̗͉̘̝͉͙̰ ̲̟f̢̯͕͇̫̙͕̬̥ ̠̪ͫ̑̓̾̐ͤ̓ͭ̄ ͂ͬ͝ ̨̡͓̥̥̺͕̞̼͔̪ ͙̹͍̪̻̙̋ͨͧͭ̐ ́̊̐ͬ̿̒ͣ̃̈́̕ c̵̢͉̟̣̤̦͍̭̲̮ ͒̈́̇̑ͯ̌͌͝ḩ̶ ̶̴̰͈͓̣͎̹͚͍̙ ̘ͭͬͬ̈͌̈́̌́͢ a̢̜̪̮̯͚̯̥̞̞͛ ̆̒͗ͣ̋̓̀͢͟ǭ̵ ̟̙̩͔̟̳̫̯͚͙͕ ͖̰͔͓̘̞̏͆̒͋̍ ̑͘͘͟ͅs̻͕̲̟̮̜ ̩̩ͬ̓ͬ̓ͨ̑̓͞ͅ .̴̨̡̢̣̜̜͕͔̤̟ ͇͕̣̤ͤ̈̊̽̎̇ͭͭ̐͆̿ͯ̆̌͟

???

brilliant idea! im already writing an implementation where we can then grade nightclubs on MI. and i really agree with you when you stated people with high MI being able to like lower MI music. this is true.

and thus, high MI people will be allowed into lower MI nightclubs, but not the other way around, so to keep out the riff-raff at our IDM nights, but giving us the chance to mingle with the less musically gifted if we like our ladies an easy lay.

thumbs up here

the more familiar you become with something, the more you like it. music, like a book, teaches you to enjoy it through the act of listening. most people that listen to pop music don't give a shit about exploring avant garde or experimental genres, because they don't have time, or have other priorities. it has absolutely nothing to do with intelligence, and it's also assuming that experimental=challenging. often i find that idm is some of the dumbest music around.

Some of the most annoying/stupid people I have ever met obsessed over IDM, some of them obsessed over avant/noise compositions, and yes some listened to crappy pop music.

In the end I found taste in music is a horrible tool for making a strong judgment on a person's character.

You've come a long way, baby.

there is a scale preference

If people like certain scales (without knowing) you can presume a preference of a lot of songs they don't know yet

I had never heard about that, but it makes a lot of sense. It would be interesting if someone created a program designed to isolate similar scale movements in order to establish a person's specific scale preference, and/or suggest other music they might be interested in.

Guest abusivegeorge

Music? Intelligence? Theories? One sentence?

GTFO

IDM? WTF?

Seriously what the fuck is this.

I have no intention of reading any of this thread.

Guest Lube Saibot

You guys really take shit seriously? I didn't even take my own shit seriously.

But then one looks back:

Let me just say that this was a Psychological attempt at explaining why and don't be shocked if this ever comes up by some famous physiologist in the near future either.

Note the capitalized "Psychological".

Also:

genera, brittany spears

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Furthermore:

My musical intelligence theory is that anyone with an AFX tune as their username has poor taste in music and is unintelligent.

:yeah:

Finally:

2d5e2bbd20d26a45f1052527580aff0e1104b291_m.jpg

This has considerably improved my holiday season. :lol:

I don't even like music anymore, that is how high my musical intelligence has gotten. It was on a exponential rise into oblivion. I am so musically sophisticated that I literally listen to individual quarks and leptons spinning.

Guest abusivegeorge

I don't even like music anymore, that is how high my musical intelligence has gotten. It was on a exponential rise into oblivion. I am so musically sophisticated that I literally listen to individual quarks and leptons spinning.

LOL

BTW you missed you "real" birthday thread :(.

Archived