IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

Guest tht tne

also I just love how when this first leaked loads of people were talking about how incredibly shit and lazy it was.

i never got this leak; i had something with completely different tracks

I meant the real leak.

can you tell me a little bit about that leak, like perhaps what page it popped up on in the megathread (i know you probably don't know)... i just wonder how i missed it

lol, aaargh, found out about this 5mins before i left the house, now i'm not gonna be able to listen until tomorrow morning because i'm going to see paramore tonight :facepalm: :facepalm: lol

im surprised more people aren't mentioning redfall, it kind of sounds like the sinister version of o=0, it's probably my 2nd favorite next to Treale

redfall is weird. really the back half of this is weird. in a really good way. it seems to take a different tone than the beginning. a bit darker maybe? not sure yet, but treale certainly separates the front half and back half. treale is just retardedly good. im going to have to restrain myself from overplaying that. its perfectly placed. this album has a gorgeous flow and a lot of what i feel was missing in quaristice.

i am a little scared at how much im loving this on initial listens. it always takes forever to really love new ae records for me. i think maybe its just because it feels so user friendly and open? i hope replay value stands up in the months ahead, i am pretty sure it will. there is no shortage of detail and strange structures everywhere. st epreo is one of my immediate favs so far.

Edited by jules

redfall is weird. really the back half of this is weird. in a really good way. it seems to take a different tone than the beginning. a bit darker maybe?

it sounds to me like they are really letting loose with the coil influence in this album

man, this album is like candy for my brain, i'm afraid i'm going to overplay oversteps but it's survived about 2 weeks of addiction so far :smile:

So what happened to all those blokes who were saying that this was obviously fake and we'd all be feeling stupid when the real oversteps came out?

I am one. I don't care anymore. That's it really. Nothing has changed; i still think 12 of those tracks are really poor and among their worse. Autechre can do anything they want, but they were always interesting and confounding. The complete lack of variety is mystifying. They're taking it easy. I think Notwo and Outh9x and a lot of the dark ambient tracks on Quaristice Versions/Quadrange are amazing. After 20 years, how do they still do it??? They don't. Must be hard. No one is infallible it would seem. That spark and energy I want from music is not there. It sounds limp.

So what happened to all those blokes who were saying that this was obviously fake and we'd all be feeling stupid when the real oversteps came out?

I am one. I don't care anymore. That's it really. Nothing has changed; i still think 12 of those tracks are really poor and among their worse. Autechre can do anything they want, but they were always interesting and confounding. The complete lack of variety is mystifying. They're taking it easy. I think Notwo and Outh9x and a lot of the dark ambient tracks on Quaristice Versions/Quadrange are amazing. After 20 years, how do they still do it??? They don't. Must be hard. No one is infallible it would seem. That spark and energy I want from music is not there. It sounds limp.

Sucks to be you. :trashbear:

Sucks to be you. :trashbear:

Yeah it does. Oh right yeah the not liking Oversteps thing.

sidewinder; get to the end. After 7 tracks in, try to distinguish one track from the next. I'll stop now, people on the net don't take well to someone persistently hating on something they love. That and I don't care enough.

Edited by Suffocate Peon

lol, aaargh, found out about this 5mins before i left the house, now i'm not gonna be able to listen until tomorrow morning because i'm going to see paramore tonight :facepalm: :facepalm: lol

paramore? I'm guessing a girlfriend/female friend dragged you along to this.

i feel for you brother :cool:

I dunno..... :trashbear:

funny how any substantial critique (has there been any?) gets brushed aside or dismissed as faulty. i think 'treale' goes on far too long with too little variation (though the melodies are nice). the beat is tiresome in its regularity. the scattered embellishments are nice but seem too infrequent/cosmetic. 'ilanders' gets skipped a lot, as it sounds great on the surface but fails to register beyond the nice woozy textures. 'r ess' is fuckin nice, tho

and yeah, you can hear more in the .wavs, but it's not some wholly new experience... say the .m4a w/crossfades was a dirty, neglected automobile. in this rough analogy, the .wavs are the same car, thoroughly detailed, and tuned up. it's still the same fucking car.

and yeah, you can hear more in the .wavs, but it's not some wholly new experience... say the .m4a w/crossfades was a dirty, neglected automobile. in this rough analogy, the .wavs are the same car, thoroughly detailed, and tuned up. it's still the same fucking car.

so so wrong bro, you need to get yer ears checked

there's a whole other world in the 24-bit versio