IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

I'm still annoyed that I can't transcode my WMAs into .RAs ...

just get a £1.99 computer mic from the market down town, playback your WMA version of Oversteps through Windows Media Player Classic, and then use RealMedia recorder to capture the audio coming in from your top of the range market mic.

job done.

Guest Sprigg

I deleted Known(1) and d-show qub from my mp3 player, and have a newfound love for the album.

Especially os veix 3, could be some of the most beautiful, nuanced shit they've ever produced... that high-pitched sound around 2:52 is just devastatingly beautiful.

wait, are you listening to actual mp3s of the album? or was that a catch-all and you're listening to it encoded at a bit higher quality?

:cerious: definitely 320/v0 files, man.

But is it really some kind of sacrilege to listen at a lower bitrate?

I deleted Known(1) and d-show qub from my mp3 player, and have a newfound love for the album.

Especially os veix 3, could be some of the most beautiful, nuanced shit they've ever produced... that high-pitched sound around 2:52 is just devastatingly beautiful.

wait, are you listening to actual mp3s of the album? or was that a catch-all and you're listening to it encoded at a bit higher quality?

:cerious: definitely 320/v0 files, man.

But is it really some kind of sacrilege to listen at a lower bitrate?

not necessarily. the more intricate AE stuff (past 10 years or so) deserves being heard in the best quality possible usually, imo of course. but lower quality files aren't evil or anything. it just struck me odd that you said called them nuanced and talked about the high-pitched sound in Os Veix3 (that pinched sounding pad that comes in you're talking about is awesome) when talking about mp3s...mp3 stigma from 5-10 years ago still weighs pretty heavily in my head i guess.

i still have to listen to it straight from the CD when possible; Oversteps and Untilted seem to benefit from it particularly. i'm no audio snob though.

Guest Sprigg

not necessarily. the more intricate AE stuff (past 10 years or so) deserves being heard in the best quality possible usually, imo of course. but lower quality files aren't evil or anything. it just struck me odd that you said called them nuanced and talked about the high-pitched sound in Os Veix3 (that pinched sounding pad that comes in you're talking about is awesome) when talking about mp3s...mp3 stigma from 5-10 years ago still weighs pretty heavily in my head i guess.

i still have to listen to it straight from the CD when possible; Oversteps and Untilted seem to benefit from it particularly. i'm no audio snob though.

Gotcha. I just use mp3 because saying 'I was listening to variable bit-rate files' sounds incredibly stupid to me, but whatevs. Point is Autechre makes awesome music and I'd rather listen to it in 96kbps than any current pop star/ trend musician crap in FLAC.

Edited by Sprigg

Gotcha. I just use mp3 because saying 'I was listening to variable bit-rate files' sounds incredibly stupid to me, but whatevs. Point is Autechre makes awesome music and I'd rather listen to it in 96kbps than any current pop star/ trend musician crap in FLAC.

agreed!

Kiosk 2012 available only in 96kbps mp3 and .ra formats!

Yeah, Oversteps takes me to some pretty far out places even after just shitting a few bowels

Bowel Movements of Ten

i just listened to this for the first time.

pretty good.

where did u order ur cpoy from i orded form beep an is hasnt turnded up yet my mom is so angery at me i used her creidt card 2 oder it

• 4 weeks later...

leaked Kiosk tracklist:

drane3D

Bronchuseightteetsonamilkcow

Silverslug

Kalpol Outrol

Accelera 3 & 4 & 5 & 6 & 9

Acro, Year One (from the soundtrack to the film)

• 2 weeks later...

on that one track, can you guys make out someone saying 'dicks are idm' ? it's really muffled, can barely make it out. I really love how this album carries a sort of black man werewolfvibe, a throwback to legofeet.

Cheers!

pink%20wine.jpg

Edited by Awepittance

Yeah I just don't dig this one, but it still plays.

Same here.

It's a good album, one of the best dozen or so albums I have bought this decade, but it's not a good (or above-average) Autechre album.

Whereas Quaristice is fun, and the first half up till after Rale is riveting, less consistent after that point. Oversteps is pleasant with some lovely sounds and moods and I appreciate Autechre are going for something a little different, but the trouble is we have seen what Autechre have achieved before, and Oversteps isnt what I would call an achievement.

Edited by Roo

Just you wait. It's almost guaranteed by what I like to call "oscilik's theory of the Lianne effect" wherein a new Autechre release is out, then some complain about not enjoying it terribly much, and then when the release immediately following is out, people start to come around to enjoying the previous release, that you will enjoy it eventually.

Edited by vproc

Yeah. I haven't listened to it in a while, but I was at a gig the other night and O=0 was in the in-between bands playlist, and when it came on I was like "woah, I remember this! awesome!". So I might pull it out again soon.

yeah, I certainly didn't create the theory...pretty sure it had already been figured out by many longtimers here. I just happened to have brought it up a few times kinda recently, that's all.

I take no credit for the theory, but I do concur with it.

Edited by oscillik