IGNORED

Known (1)

Guest the anonymous forumite

Rather unusual track for Ae, but I think this is not the worst track from Oversteps. The worst track for me - Sublimit.

this has to be a joke.

known(1) is a dreadful track. i tried to think "oh wow, these sounds remind me of coil`s "ostia"" but it didn´t really work, so i dropped that.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Garkken

Rather unusual track for Ae, but I think this is not the worst track from Oversteps. The worst track for me - Sublimit.

this has to be a joke.

known(1) is a dreadful track. i tried to think "oh wow, these sounds remind me of coil`s "ostia"" but it didn´t really work, so i dropped that.

It is difficult to draw parallels between the Coil (Horse Rotorvator & LSD) and Ae in this album. Although probably need to listen attentively

Is it bad that this is one of my favourite tracks from that leak?

:-O

I'm genuinely interested in why, because I know you make good music (and Awepittance and glotch and others.)

Honestly, I'm open. Get as geeky as you want in explaining what's going on in this one to make it work for you. :)

Thanks for the nod.

I like known(1) because its a cheese-dick metal retro throwback, but then its done on a computer which makes it cool.

It's like the soundtrack where Ralph Macchio gets his limbs ripped off and its all painful, but then hilarious, and all the while fucked up.

It makes me envision all these little helpless golum like people climbing up a steep black cliff in slow motion where Autechre are on top of the precipice and playing air guitar in the moonlight, with capes, opening their mouths real wide; having this track pouring out of their skulls. It's like Windex on my brain. It sole purpose is to wipe my mind clear and get it ready for the rest of the album.

ok, i swear not to listen to the leak, just heard the preview of Known via normanrecords....

Known sounds fucking great, that's it (being a fan of wendy carlos & digital harpsichord music by hecker must help i guess).

Guest the anonymous forumite

Known sounds fucking great, that's it (being a fan of wendy carlos & digital harpsichord music by hecker must help i guess).

That's exactly the kind of rationale I wanted to read in order to understand the opposite point of view I needed, yet it's exactly what I was suspecting about people actually liking this track: needing to invoke respectable references to legitimate their appreciation of this track

and not being able to appreciate it for itself. Thank you, you made my point. :diablo:

Parts of Oversteps are indeed very reminiscent of Wendy Carlos's synth work, like the score to Tron. I've been digging the shit out of that stuff lately so this whole album really resonates nicely with me.

this album is totally a personal taste thing, like the aleatoric clusters and polytonalities which just aren't going to be for everyone.

known(1) doesn't bother me too much (certainly not my favorite on the album), but O=0.. that one. I can't stand the direct, high pitched, fm synth bell.. just takes me back to very cheezy 80's synth presets. that's the track i'm going to probably be skipping on this album.

but considering i'm liking about 80% of the material on this album, no complaints :)

Knowing of Ae's love for Coil, I inferred that it was some kind of homage/pastiche, with the murky cyclical medievil scale menacingly drifting in and out of tune, reminiscent of something from Worship The Glitch or Black Light District.

Now, anon forumite, I am not using other sources to legitimise the quality of the track; but music doesn't exist in a hermetically sealed box, one simply can't independantly appreciate things without context and I couldn't help thinking of this the first time I heard it. Not one of my favorites off Oversteps, but not one of the worst either.

Guest lithgow

Gosh, someone other than me thinks this??? INSANITY, THAT SONG IS UTTERLY BRILLIANT, COULD ONLY HAVE BEEN WRITTEN BY GENIUS MINDS!!!!!!!!!

(oh wait, no, it's still dreck)

Knowing of Ae's love for Coil, I inferred that it was some kind of homage/pastiche, with the murky cyclical medievil scale menacingly drifting in and out of tune, reminiscent of something from Worship The Glitch or Black Light District.

Now, anon forumite, I am not using other sources to legitimise the quality of the track; but music doesn't exist in a hermetically sealed box, one simply can't independantly appreciate things without context and I couldn't help thinking of this the first time I heard it. Not one of my favorites off Oversteps, but not one of the worst either.

i remember hearing several times that ae were never big fans of coil, which surprised me. could be wrong though.

i like known(1). saying it is the worst ae track is rubbish. for the people that dislike this track, i hope something else on the cd interests you.

also, why is lithgow still here? shouldn't you be off in the intarwebs finding your long lost oversteps album? cheers.

There are NO worse Ae tracks than Theswere and Autriche. Just from the Normal sample, known(1) doesn't sound so bad at all.

Really? I liked Theswere a lot. Which, as I listen now, definitely foreshadows Oversteps.

And Autriche, huh? I forget the track titles on Incunabula a lot, but I was sure you were talking about Windwind, which does indeed suck. I think Autriche is a great comedown from the bliss/wonder of Bike.

Wait a second... How can you hate Theswere? I mean, dislike sure. But hate? Is it hatable? I think it's sweet. Actually it's one of my favourites on Quaristice. I wish there was a Theswere Subrange 6-36

Definitely up there for me too (edit: Sublimit, decided not to re-listen to the leak for a bit and not sure which is known(1)).

i remember hearing several times that ae were never big fans of coil, which surprised me. could be wrong though.

I think I remember them playing some stuff from various Coil sideprojects during the marathon DJ set on autechre.ws and xltronic a few years back, might have been Nurse With Wound or zoviet* france or someone else like that. Though it seems like they 'should' be into them.

Archived