IGNORED

Plaid Starter Album?

murve33

Guest ruiagnelo

i think the first one - Not for Three's - should precisely be the first you should listen. It was created right after they left The Black Dog and they really worked hard on their first record as a duo. with this one they established their sound.

(Trainer is essential, but be careful as it's not truly the Plaid's sound. it covers a lot of different feelings of their sonic universe and it will make you remember the 90's emotional tunes they brought to us.)

Rest Proof Clockwork is my final suggestion. i think it's almost flawless and it's a pleasure to the ears.

notice the () on the middle. and notice that i didn't place Not for Three's in 1st place for any random reason.

but if you want my opinion, the order you follow through someone's discog doesn't really mean a thing .

Guest sirch

warp invaders? lol

start wherever you want......... there's loads to check out

couldn't say where you should start first.

just listen to all if it :)

Best place to start, like with most things is at the beginning.

http://www.discogs.com/Plaid-Mbuki-Mvuki/master/6905

then here.. as they were part of the original 'Black Dog Productions'.

http://www.discogs.com/Black-Dog-Productions-Bytes/master/29979

doesn't matter really - as sirch said.. just listen to all if it :)

Guest ruiagnelo

the soundtracks are most accessible but you will find the real plaid sound on double figure

I was avoiding double figure for a start, but gotta say it's a very consistent Plaids sound.

parts in the post is a good starter: 2 cds of remixes spanning roughly 10 years of their carreer with a high hit-ratio. higher than a normal plaid album, imo. to me the usual plaid album has a couple of great tracks, a lot so so tracks, and one or two "no way" tracks.

Guest sirch

the soundtracks are most accessible but you will find the real plaid sound on double figure

i dissagree. big time.

the Plaid sound is not defined by double figure. that's not fair to say.

without Plaid there would be NO Black Dog, new OR old.

without Ed and Andy, "tBd" would have been NOTHING.

go back.. research, listen, enjoy it all......... but their career is MASSIVE

to say that double figure is THE Plaid sound is bollocks. pfft.

i dissagree. big time.

the Plaid sound is not defined by double figure. that's not fair to say.

without Plaid there would be NO Black Dog, new OR old.

without Ed and Andy, "tBd" would have been NOTHING.

go back.. research, listen, enjoy it all......... but their career is MASSIVE

to say that double figure is THE Plaid sound is bollocks. pfft.

lol I was talking about starters. you are totally right there is much more

i'd say it was more about where not to start. don't start w/ Spokes or Greedy Baby. anywhere else is fine. if you have to listen to something from Spokes, at least try the far superior versions of "Even Spring" and "Cedar City (beatless)" that are on the 3rd Peel Session. Greedy Baby might have one good song and its at the end of the record. otherwise anything is pretty much a safe bet. let's just be honest here, this was just a great opportunity to take a couple of shots at two failed records. just skip them all together. go right for the high priced Japanese movie soundtracks. much much better. i mean i just can't get over how fucking bad those two albums were, and from guys w/ this much talent. they were just lost until that Japanese guy phoned them and was like "hey you wanna dick around w/ some anime stuff? i'm trying to throw you a bone here." j/k i love the Plaid guys...but those two records, jesus, just pretend i didn't even mention the titles.

Guest ruiagnelo

i'd say it was more about where not to start. don't start w/ Spokes or Greedy Baby. anywhere else is fine. if you have to listen to something from Spokes, at least try the far superior versions of "Even Spring" and "Cedar City (beatless)" that are on the 3rd Peel Session. Greedy Baby might have one good song and its at the end of the record. otherwise anything is pretty much a safe bet. let's just be honest here, this was just a great opportunity to take a couple of shots at two failed records. just skip them all together. go right for the high priced Japanese movie soundtracks. much much better. i mean i just can't get over how fucking bad those two albums were, and from guys w/ this much talent. they were just lost until that Japanese guy phoned them and was like "hey you wanna dick around w/ some anime stuff? i'm trying to throw you a bone here." j/k i love the Plaid guys...but those two records, jesus, just pretend i didn't even mention the titles.

if there is any Plaid failed record, it would be Greedy Baby, altough it's more like the soundtrack of an audiovisual show.

spokes is not that bad. i find the majority of the tracks to be very good.

Guest AcrossCanyons

i love the Plaid guys...but those two records, jesus, just pretend i didn't even mention the titles.

don't listen to this guy - all plaid is brilliant. spokes has some of my favourite plaid tracks on and is up there with the best. greedy baby is brilliant too but definitely different and meant to be watched with the visuals. (however war dialer annoys the hell out of me. would be great if it were shorter - works as an art piece w/ the visuals, not as a track)

double figure was my first listen

spokes has some of my favourite plaid tracks on and is up there with the best. greedy baby is brilliant too but definitely different and meant to be watched with the visuals. (however war dialer annoys the hell out of me. would be great if it were shorter - works as an art piece w/ the visuals, not as a track)

I agree with this totally, I find Spokes the easiest album to listen to but not at all lightweight (although I also think the version of Even Spring they did for Peel is even better than the album version). And as for Greedy Baby, Super Positions, To and I Citizen The Loathsome are superb. Also, you're absolutely right about War Dialler, a good intro track but it's being longer than a minute is ridiculous.

Guest sirch

lol you are such the dick , but i respect your strange opinion, lol

Guest sirch

not for threes is brilliant and one of my favourite albums. i remember being annoyed by their tendency to overuse melodies but after a while it no longer bothered me.

i don't get how you can over use melody....... really ??

each to their own..

Guest sirch

if there is any Plaid failed record, it would be Greedy Baby, altough it's more like the soundtrack of an audiovisual show.

spokes is not that bad. i find the majority of the tracks to be very good.

i don't see that Greedy Baby was failed at all !!

i don't understand the dislike for it? somebody please explain why you dislike it so much?????????????????????????????????????

Guest ruiagnelo

not for threes is brilliant and one of my favourite albums. i remember being annoyed by their tendency to overuse melodies but after a while it no longer bothered me.

i don't get how you can over use melody....... really ??

each to their own..

well, i think melodies always sound good to our ears, we need them. and plaid are all about melodies, which is why i never get tired of listening to them.

but some people don't really get that much from melodies.

human tendencies, i guess.

Guest sirch

i think melodies just come naturally to them....

they don't have to try, like others would.

melody and emotion, aswell as wicked beats, is just Plaid. :)

i really do hope they put out one more (warp) album before they pack it all in.. for soundtracks and live work..

Guest ruiagnelo

i think melodies just come naturally to them....

they don't have to try, like others would.

melody and emotion, aswell as wicked beats, is just Plaid. :)

i really do hope they put out one more (warp) album before they pack it all in.. for soundtracks and live work..

maybe they aren't motivated for releasing their music as they already have been.

maybe they are interested in projects as soundtracks and live shows and collabs.

anyway it's plaid, so whatever they are doing, they are doing a good work.

Guest sirch

just one more warp album pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease lol lol

lol you are such the dick , but i respect your strange opinion, lol

i am a fucking dick aren't i? i see it more and more everyday.

Guest mrguy

I haven't heard any plaid before. But I saw P-Brane EP for NZ$15 (which is about £6). It's about as cheap as we get things over here.... Is it worth gambling on-i.e. Would it be a good starter for a newbie?

Guest AcrossCanyons

I haven't heard any plaid before. But I saw P-Brane EP for NZ$15 (which is about £6). It's about as cheap as we get things over here.... Is it worth gambling on-i.e. Would it be a good starter for a newbie?

i wouldn't say it's the best record to begin with, doesn't really define the plaid sound quite like other records. it is, however, a brilliant ep and worth getting.

Archived