IGNORED

Plaid Starter Album?

murve33

I haven't heard any plaid before. But I saw P-Brane EP for NZ$15 (which is about £6). It's about as cheap as we get things over here.... Is it worth gambling on-i.e. Would it be a good starter for a newbie?

yeah totally, just do it. that a good one.

I haven't heard any plaid before. But I saw P-Brane EP for NZ$15 (which is about £6). It's about as cheap as we get things over here.... Is it worth gambling on-i.e. Would it be a good starter for a newbie?

yeah totally, just do it. that a good one.

No gamble involved, I'd say. It's brilliant.

warp invaders? lol

It seems that all traces of it are gone. But it was on the old Warprecords website (warprecords.com/invaders) and you sorta controlled a little ship and you'd place samples and do stuff. You could choose between Plaid and Boards of Canada.

And I'll try the first album first. Thanks everyone!

HA! Found it :D http://www.atomless.com/projects/invaders/

Guest mrguy

Decided to spend a bit more an get a full album. *waits for people toroll eyes*

the most recommended seem to be;

Not For Threes

Rest Proof Clock Work

and Double Figure....

Guest sirch

double figure

sorry, but BALLS to Double Figure! it's a good album but it's not their best, imho.

most people 'over seas' seem to think that that is THE Plaid sound, when it's not, imho.

when these people think of Plaid they think 'squance' or 'new family'.. etc. :S

i prefer their earlier stuff.. from Mbuki Mvuki, Trainer.. early BDP + Bytes + Spanners,

Not for Three's.. Rest Proof.

tbh i think DF is their worst album. it's more 'throw away' than any of the others.

there's tracks on Greedy Baby that are WAY better than tracks on DF, imho.

Superpositions, for example.. and 'To'.... :)

Guest sirch

i'd say it was more about where not to start. don't start w/ Spokes or Greedy Baby. anywhere else is fine. if you have to listen to something from Spokes, at least try the far superior versions of "Even Spring" and "Cedar City (beatless)" that are on the 3rd Peel Session. Greedy Baby might have one good song and its at the end of the record. otherwise anything is pretty much a safe bet. let's just be honest here, this was just a great opportunity to take a couple of shots at two failed records. just skip them all together. go right for the high priced Japanese movie soundtracks. much much better. i mean i just can't get over how fucking bad those two albums were, and from guys w/ this much talent. they were just lost until that Japanese guy phoned them and was like "hey you wanna dick around w/ some anime stuff? i'm trying to throw you a bone here." j/k i love the Plaid guys...but those two records, jesus, just pretend i didn't even mention the titles.

lol you are such the dick , but i respect your strange opinion, lol

i am a fucking dick aren't i? i see it more and more everyday.

i called you a dick in a lighthearted way, man :)

it seemed to me like u were bashing their soundtracks, which i think are brilliant.

and i thought u were a Plaid fan?

dude i haven't read ur PM yet, sorry... i'm useless at that and keeping up to date with shit.

so no offence to you.

ur post just seemed a bit.... "negative" ?? lol

sorry ......

you're not a dick. you're just from California. :)

Guest sirch

P-Brane is a classic

their last bestest ep

Guest sirch

I fecking love 'Rest Proof Clockwork'... Plaid rolled into one.

i think i agree.. the best Plaid roll up would be Rest Proof. smoke it :)

I fecking love 'Rest Proof Clockwork'... Plaid rolled into one.

i think i agree.. the best Plaid roll up would be Rest Proof. smoke it :)

good shit man :)

WTF is this game ? The Plaid "track" was way funnier than the BoC one, still, I though killing invaders was making a bit more music...

I too am looking at a good Plaid (I waited too long) starter, thanks for this precious pages...Don't want to troll, but I'll maybe begin with Black Dog's Bytes, and see then what to buy.

SPD² is definitely not a dick IMO. He has interesting opinions (whether or not I agree with them) and a lot of knowledge about music, or at least that's been my view since I've been on WATMM.

Guest sirch

SPD² is definitely not a dick IMO. He has interesting opinions

yeahhhhhhhh, i know. :)

he said "dicking around", i said no, no, no, you're the dick for saying that lol

i was kidding. it was harmless, i hope. :)

i've chat to SPD before in the live chat and he's cool, we got along just fine. :)

SPD you know i was joking right?

You can happily miss Greedy Baby. It is... Forgettable to say the very least. Apart from To and I Citizen, it's pretty fucking weak. Nice idea for a collaboration, didn't work at all however because Bob Jaroc isn't very good, his visuals are uninteresting.

I started with Double Figure and it's a great place to start, some people day it's more accessible. Maybe that's true, it's got some lovely tunes though. You'll probably eventually find yourself torn between Not for Threes and Rest Proof. Spokes is 50/50, some amazing tracks like Marry, Buns, B Born and Even Spring but otherwise not too great. Has this great, loud and colourful sound to it though which is nice.

Trainer is pretty neat but more of a novelty to me, that said it's got two tunes which really should be regarded as amongst their best (Choke and Fly, Tan Sau)

I love Plaid. It's a shame a lot of people regard them as B-List IDM whatever (probably because they're fucking retarded) because I'd pick them over RDJ any day.

Thanks

Favourite track from DF. What a tuuuuuune!!!

that's one of my favourite Plaid tracks, mate. i love the darker side to DF. i'm not so much into the more poppy stuff on that album.

the melodies are fucking sweet, but.. i prefer darker Plaid, me. :)

love the way that track builds, tho, with the reversed 'swish's'... gives me goosebumps :)

Favourite track from DF. What a tuuuuuune!!!

that's one of my favourite Plaid tracks, mate. i love the darker side to DF. i'm not so much into the more poppy stuff on that album.

the melodies are fucking sweet, but.. i prefer darker Plaid, me. :)

love the way that track builds, tho, with the reversed 'swish's'... gives me goosebumps :)

It's one of my all time fave Plaid tracks too mate.. the way it builds and gently drills a hole into the brain feckin blows me away.. and that bassline!!!

Yeah, i agree.. the darker tracks on DF are the stars of the album, including the amazing funky 'Ti Bom'. I do like the fun side of Plaid but not on this album. Like 'Squance' could never get into that track.

Plaid - Mbuki Mvuki. their first album together as Plaid.

released in 1991 on their own (w/Ken Downie) Black Dog Productions label.

Respect.

one of my favourite records. wicked early 90's (break)beats and bass! :)

The last minute or so of 'New Family' was a defining moment for me. Sort of uplifting and grimly depressing at the same time. First time I heard it, I didn't think I wanted to carry on living after I'd heard it. The Bob Jaroc film for the track made that even worse.

Archived