IGNORED

early 2000s idm

modey

[

Samples sound interesting. I'll check out that Hyu album too if I can find it.

it can be found out there, i just tried googling it and didn't see it on the first page but saw this watmm post from 1 year ago, hah

Awepittance mentioned Hyu's "Random Walker's Delight" a few years ago and it's become one of my favourite albums.
and futuregirlfriend mentioned this album and now im loving it, bumper crop so far is my favorite song!

:beer:

wait weird that says october 12th, what thread was that from? im confused

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

playlist:

[youtubehd]KHloHN8RfZs[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]nXxXUfAss24[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]-YUWo6zb5zA[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]eN2SSIR1Z8I[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]5dQOgFBLr4U[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]4Jml3FhBNEw[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]gFhrzYaoUYg[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]KuvYCbssGoY[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]1L04dnuTYF8[/youtubehd]

The monolake stuff that was coming out around this time was superb. Really clinical.

Joseph Nothing's three albums spanning 2001-2003 are amazing.

jega - goemetry

Leafcutter John - Microcontact, The Housebound Spirit

fuck it most of Planet Mu's lineup at that time was top notch.

Cassetteboy's - The Parker Tapes hit in 2002 right? fuck yeah

Jamie Lidell - Muddlin gear

meh lots has been mentioned and I'm too lazy to be thinking of more.

Huh, I haven't heard any of the releases in his "Shambhala" series. I'll just add them to the list of things to buy when I start making money again...:(

Decal's "Brightest Star" (2003) was much better than "404 not found" (at least for my ears). They do make some lovely electro.

Oh and of course Bogdan's intriguing output during this time...("Musyka Dla Imigrantow" "MyLoveILove" "'96 Drum n Bass Classixxx" "Renegade Platinum Mega Dance Attack Party: Don The Plates") fuck that was good stuff...

an it's kind of cheating, but pole's "123" compilation came out in 2000...and fuck it, it's so good it deserves to be mentioned.

Guest Greg Reason

hey guys I did not like drukqs when it first came out. I only liked the fast breakbeat tracks. now I like them all. so happy 2010

i love afx, but i almost never listen to Drukqs. and when i do i have to turn it off pretty quick.

I find aphex immensely boring and this is the only one I listen to ever

hey guys I did not like drukqs when it first came out. I only liked the fast breakbeat tracks. now I like them all. so happy 2010

i love afx, but i almost never listen to Drukqs. and when i do i have to turn it off pretty quick.

I find aphex immensely boring and this is the only one I listen to ever

man just what is wrong with you? lol

Guest Greg Reason

I require an artist to be able to write a piece of music that creates an emotional resonance, not just exhibit OCD in their programming

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. you're saying there's lack of emotional resonance in his work!? have you actually heard everything yet? (i take it you haven't)

i think you have quite weird/bad taste. sorry. :)

Guest Greg Reason

That's a point of view that I expect is rampant amongst the aphex-obsessed hordes on here.

Of course I haven't heard *everything* he's ever done as I find a good ninety-five percent of his work to be bloody awful.

I find your taste quite bad too to be honest but everyone's different and I appreciate that there are lots of people on this board who are into different stuff to me so everyone can get everyone else into some music that they maybe wouldn't have heard otherwise.

But just as you love to sink the boot into The Black Dog, I allow myself two occasions annually to voice my opinion that aphex is intolerably overrated, as pointless as such an announcement is in a place such as this. I believe this is my second such comment this year so I'll go back to holding my tongue for the next twelve or so months...

I require an artist to be able to write a piece of music that creates an emotional resonance, not just exhibit OCD in their programming

SAW 85-92 doesn't do this for but drukqs does? I know which one of those two albums exhibits OCD in the programming, and SAW 85-92 ain't it. ;)

That's a point of view that I expect is rampant amongst the aphex-obsessed hordes on here.

Of course I haven't heard *everything* he's ever done as I find a good ninety-five percent of his work to be bloody awful.

I find your taste quite bad too to be honest but everyone's different and I appreciate that there are lots of people on this board who are into different stuff to me so everyone can get everyone else into some music that they maybe wouldn't have heard otherwise.

But just as you love to sink the boot into The Black Dog, I allow myself two occasions annually to voice my opinion that aphex is intolerably overrated, as pointless as such an announcement is in a place such as this. I believe this is my second such comment this year so I'll go back to holding my tongue for the next twelve or so months...

2 occasions annually? fair enough then. lol

but to say Aphex Twin is boring, i mean c'mon now.. and to say FV's is better than Spanners, i mean c'mon now. wtf.

it must be an Australian thing - upside down and the wrong way around. ;)

I like 90% of Aphex and love a considerable amount of it.

But he is horribly overrated.

nobody else (since the 90's) on the planet can/could beat Aphex Twin, Autechre, Plaid, and Squarepusher, at electronic music, imo.

i wouldn't say any of them are "horribly overrated". except maybe Ae at times.

Guest Greg Reason

SAW 85-92 doesn't do this for but drukqs does? I know which one of those two albums exhibits OCD in the programming, and SAW 85-92 ain't it. ;)

SAW2 I quite like. Drukqs mainly for the out of tune piano stuff

I like 90% of Aphex and love a considerable amount of it.

But he is horribly overrated.

nobody else (since the 90's) on the planet can/could beat Aphex Twin, Autechre, Plaid, and Squarepusher, at electronic music, imo.

Yeah Ae are sometime overrated by the fan boiz. But you seriously dont think Aphex is overrated?

Aphex Twin tends to attract an interesting crowd. This woman, who was either a Transylvanian princess or a scientist, insisted on lining up shots of the local liquor hierbas for the Aphex crew for the final few hours of the night. “It is not every time that Bach or Mozart comes to Ibiza,” she said.

http://www.viceland.com/music/2010/10/aphex-twin-in-ibiza/

Guest Greg Reason

For what it's worth... Saying that ae are overrated is fairly preposterous as they're not even really famous. Richard is the only IDM superstar so he was always bound to be overrated by default, as any random who has never listened to anything electronic in their life will find his stuff before anyone else's and so he will be the trigger for their revelation that music made with machines can be as interesting as "real" music.

Autechre I personally feel are worthy of all the praise they elicit. I don't rate Incunabula or Amber but I think their work since that era is utterly brilliant, especially Draft, Untilted and Quaristice. I don't think Oversteps is as good but that's just my personal taste and I don't expect artists to stay in the same place for their entire career so whatever they want to do is ok.

Squarepusher's work I think is inconsequential. To me it's all novelty value and little else. I've heard vast quanitities of his work and none of it moves me at all. It's like watching a guy do a thousand push-ups... Undoubtedly impressive but quite pointless. That's how I feel about most of Aphex Twin's stuff.

Plaid I think are good but their work also tends to come off as a bit novel. They're into silly, happy sounding stuff, which I can't say I appreciate in any way. For this reason I love their soundtrack material but am not much into their own albums other than Not For Threes.

Personally I find Bola to be far more accomplished than most artists in electronica and I think his engineering is better than everyone's, even ae. I also think Underworld make what is to me far more interesting and emotionally moving electronic music than many others but I'm referring mainly to Oblivion With Bells and their Riverrun series. If you consider Coil a electronic than I'd rate them higher than pretty much everyone as well.

Falling into the pop category are people like Björk, Massive Attack, Peter Gabriel, Nine Inch Nails, David Sylvian, Goldfrapp, etc who I appreciate more than many of the more technical and weird electronic artists and I find much of what they do with electronica to be really beautiful and at times far more innovative than said underground heros.

That said I love people like Mika Vainio, Mark Fell, Murcof, Fennesz, Hecq, etc and really love listening to that stuff too... I guess the point is it's all just down to taste and obviously more people are into the more obvious characters thanks to Warp being as iconic as they are but I don't really rate that stuff in the same way as a lot of people do.

Not that any of what I say matters but this is an interesting discourse to have on a forum filled with geeks like myself :biggrin:

Guest Greg Reason

I've never looked at pitchfork but I think I did read an interview they did with ae

Sorry to knock the almighty Warp

not really about the Warp mister, more about you hating on stuff that is amazing and me not understanding why you do....and then realizing you have too-cool-for-school-itis, which is fine but hating on the Twin because he is too good at sequencing is going too far even for a hipster. Congrats! :emotawesomepm9:

Archived