IGNORED

Mark Fell - Multistability

Redruth

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This release is awesome, easily my favorite of his solo releases. None of the tracks go on too long, and there is a lot of variety. I'd say that it fares much better through speakers than through headphones, though... my tolerance for abrasive headphone music is high, but this is pushing my boundaries.

Was anybody here fortunate enough to get a copy of the limited companion essay/CD explaining his methodology (only ten copies released, according to his site)?

This release is awesome, easily my favorite of his solo releases. None of the tracks go on too long, and there is a lot of variety. I'd say that it fares much better through speakers than through headphones, though... my tolerance for abrasive headphone music is high, but this is pushing my boundaries.

Was anybody here fortunate enough to get a copy of the limited companion essay/CD explaining his methodology (only ten copies released, according to his site)?

i asked him and he said that the cd contained short snippets of music that he found influential, plus some tracks that didn't make it onto Multistability. He said that the latter might be released digitally next year sometime.

ooOOOOOoooh, anywhere I can listen to them?

Just got my tape. The Mark Fell side is absolutely banging :music:

The EVOL side might take a few more listens.

that's a trend well established in this series, though mark's sides aren't always banging, they are much more accessible than the Evol ones.

ooOOOOOoooh, anywhere I can listen to them?

Just got my tape. The Mark Fell side is absolutely banging :music:

The EVOL side might take a few more listens.

that's a trend well established in this series, though mark's sides aren't always banging, they are much more accessible than the Evol ones.

I like Marks idea. But EVOL's sounds fucking mental. You can actually hear it too. For the 1st few seconds I though the tape was damaged.

Mark Fell, 'Head Off'

I was watching my daughter play on Guitar Hero with headphones, all I could hear was the clicking of the buttons as she played. She, on the other hand, was have a very different experience. I made a recording of the sound of the button pushing which lasted about 30 minutes. Following this I implemented a simple system to analyze the sound file and give me a list of all the timings of the button pushes. This was then used to trigger a simple kick drum sound and lush chord generated using 4 operator FM synthesis. For me the music made outside the headphones, the skeleton of the guitar hero performance was far more interesting that the illusion of skill and performance it offered to the player. A more interesting head space transformation.

EVOL, 'Ice Transformation'

Phase space is the collection of possible states of a dynamical system. A phase space can be finite (e.g. for the ideal coin toss, we have two states heads and tails), countably infinite (e.g. state variables are integers), or uncountably infinite (e.g. state variables are real numbers). Implicit in the notion is that a particular state in phase space specifies the system completely; it is all we need to know about the system to have complete knowledge of the immediate future (James D. Meiss).

The words "rave synthesis" scrambled 100 times:

is navythserse, nvsirheatessy, vy sesatnhires, snter savhysie, irhasynsevtes , v yenatsshiser, tervinseysh as, ssr hvnaysieet, in svhetserysa, svtesehisany r, tsnyasries hev, nrsyh vsasieet, nshseytrevasi , atn erisseyvhs, sitrs nasveehy, nys esvthireas, yier nshsvetsa, ieseyn hsarvts, sais hytvsrnee, yasestse hrvin, svytnsa irhese, svts hianersye, v rnshetiaeyss, heesiyrtasnvs, aseihvs rstyen, sie trsavynshe, stsah nveiresy, esyvtnei sahsr, sysh eirsnaetv, asr ysteisvhne, svtenhra ysesi, iehvsrtsneays, rtaesyv ineshs, asie sshteynvr, anevrhsesyist , henretysisvsa, ysavreieshtns, naeyih srsstev, es iyrasentvhs, r vsneestiayhs, v ynssehisaert, ryeesiatsv shn, ehisnsarst evy, seivnhrtssa ye, vir eeasstysnh, nresyiatsv hse, srehvse saitny, a eevhssnyitsr, sestieh yvrnas, iestysr eshnav, vy sietrahsesn, iehssyts anrve, ivsrteseynahs, syhvi ssetaner, re nysisevhtas, vhesasesytn ir, syvieha nretss, esyansheitsrv , sv teessranihy, stsseh nveirya, eeanh tvirysss, svith anessyre, stenisshvayer , sa tsnehyeirvs, tsyiee shvasnr, vhs atiesnreys, ysavssn iheert, rvesiesatnyhs , invss aresthye, nih esvraysets, eiaevnhrysss t, rhveatysisnse, enrviyssahset , styshrvee ansi, tarnsseshi evy, rthensy svseai, ssva ihteeysrn, sniehyrs aetvs, srnvsees htiay, yatehr vseniss, rs isayvstheen, nah yrvtssisee, syr shtsiveane, svraeyissthn e, srseaitnyvhes, sesterasny hvi, seshianse rytv, vsasesnheryti , se yinrstsehav, sesyithsen var, isvstheayrne s, ryaeinsstse hv, shstenesia vyr, sss einvhtraey, ihrnyesve tsas, earvtsiesnsy h, iye stvsnashre, ishysees nvrat, tvsseae ynsirh, iysntehse vsra

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In case you haven't run across it yet, you can still buy the Shamanic Bear Session track, as indicated here. The release is apparently limited to 25 copies, but it's been for sale for a while now. It is basically a couple of very extended versions of a single Multistability track.

In case you haven't run across it yet, you can still buy the Shamanic Bear Session track, as indicated here. The release is apparently limited to 25 copies, but it's been for sale for a while now. It is basically a couple of very extended versions of a single Multistability track.

yeah I got a copy, but it's sold out now. thats why he uploaded the mp3 :)

what's your experience in trying to play Fells stuff for a group of people?

my wife is now very confused whenever there's a strange noise in the house, not sure if its music or the dishwasher about fling itself through the kitchen and into the living room. there's a look she gives me where the proper response is "yes, that's music"

mrs. alcofribas enjoys lots of "my" music but snd genuinely pisses her off. she'll dig on some ae but when i first played snd for her she was just like, "this is fucking bullshit."

also, i once heard encey do an excellent impromptu rendition of atavism 2 with a beer can and vocals.

My brain and ears just doesn't understand Mark Fell / snd stuff. Every track to me just sounds like:

Clang     Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang     Clang     Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang     Clang     Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang     Clang     Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang     Clang     Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang     Clang     Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang     Clang     Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang     Clang     Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang     Clang     Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang     Clang     Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang     Clang     Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang     Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang     Clang     Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang     Clang oooh baby i love yer body yeah yeah honey you get me up all night    Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang     Clang     Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang     Clang     Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang     Clang     Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang     Clang     Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang     Clang     Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang     Clang     Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang     Clang     Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang     Clang     Clang    Clang   Clang  Clang Clang ClangClangClngCngCgCCgCngClngClang Clang  Clang   Clang    Clang

And the next track would replace a 'Clang' with a 'PftClang' or a 'B'Chnng'. And don't get me wrong I've given it a good go - I've heard Atavism three times now and got just over half way through that Shamanic Bear Session mp3 and I'm just :shrug:

I feel stoopid for not getting it, it's the same reaction I've had towards extreme noise artists too - Just utter bewilderment. And here was me thinking my music tastes were pretty extreme !

Archived