IGNORED

SND/Mark Fell thread

hello spiral

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My favourite stuff from Mark Fell is (in no particular order) his stuff with Will Guthrie (seriously need a fucking CD of that shit), Sensate Focus, and SND. Wish I got more out of Rian Treanor's material than I do but oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone here know what they used for making their first records? I think Tplay, Newtables, Travelog and Makesnd Cassette came from the same source. But what was that? Given that they took their name from an Apple file extension, I'd suspect some program on Apple. Or was it hardware?

46 minutes ago, t yst r said:

Does anyone here know what they used for making their first records? I think Tplay, Newtables, Travelog and Makesnd Cassette came from the same source. But what was that? Given that they took their name from an Apple file extension, I'd suspect some program on Apple. Or was it hardware?

So the first couple of SND albums were all done in Cubase or Logic and constructed quite carefully, not using any kind of algorithmic processes at all. But because of those two albums, we start to get asked to do a lot of live work and that was the time that I thought “right, I’m really going to look at how to use Max/MSP in a live context.”

You mention different tools and softwares encouraging different music making processes. Do you tend to use a variety of combinations/setups for your own music, to I suppose explore and enjoy their different strengths and weaknesses? Or would you stick with one set of tools for a while to push its potential?

Yes thats quite an interesting point – equipment is often sold on its potential or flexibility. In my own work I tend to stick to very small setups. Typically if I’m using hardware, then it will be one or two pieces. most of the snd stuff was done entirely on one sampler – the EMU E6400. The idea of mixing up hardware makes me feel a little uneasy. I don’t know why, I guess its some form of prejudice. I think one of the reasons I work like this is because when I was starting to make music I could only afford one piece of equipment at a time. So I had one synth, then saved a bit of money, sold that synth and bought something else. This meant however that I would learn that synth in very minute detail – learn its quirks, its personality etc. etc.

These days I tend to use software most of the time because its more convenient. But even so I tend to stick mainly to one or two environments: Max/MSP of course; Digital Performer for time line based work and editing; and plugins I tend to use FM8, Battery and Erik's (Errorsmith) Razor synth.

Edited by iococoi
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, t yst r said:

was just re-reading this old interview where he talks about that stuff https://www.factmag.com/2018/10/06/mark-fell-signal-path/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1