IGNORED

SND/Mark Fell thread

hello spiral

Just saw him perform last Friday at the London Contmporary Music Festival. Lush to see him return to his Multistability era after a good few years concentrating on more 'contemporary' and non-electronic stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTmKZS8yeHk

Fuckin banging

Fell is probably my fave electronic musician after the autocray m8s so I thought it would be nice to share tracks and enthusiasm towards his u n  i   q    u     e      a       e        s         t          h           e            t             i               c

590x372.fitandcrop.jpg

Not erasing Mat Steel from history here. It's a shame he's not as much on the radar as Fell these days. There was a rumour he's gone deaf in one ear? Which is why he doesn't make music anymore.

I love this remix he did on the end of Mantitutshu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsEC_PW32G0

Saw him opening for æ a couple of times with SND but I guess it was too early in my erm musical journey as I didn't really get into it then.

I've been listening to his Gabor Lazar collab LP an insane lot this year, and from what you've shared I'd better give Multistability a try asap. Enjoyed his Errorsmith colab when it got released but haven't listened to it in a while.

Just played bits of his live set, sounded pretty great indeed.

Thanks for the thread!

Just saw him perform last Friday at the London Contmporary Music Festival. Lush to see him return to his Multistability era after a good few years concentrating on more 'contemporary' and non-electronic stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTmKZS8yeHk

Fuckin banging

Fell is probably my fave electronic musician after the autocray m8s so I thought it would be nice to share tracks and enthusiasm towards his u n  i   q    u     e      a       e        s         t          h           e            t             i               c

Fucking love this man, thanks for filming it.

Atavism and Multistability were formative; Mark Fell and .snd are huge to me as well; this thread is important.

I always wondered what happened to Mat Steel, was actually going to ask you recently...horrible if true about the ear.

I've long been putting off making a thread with a retrospective of SND's early years and how perfect it is. Mark Fell's solo stuff falls too heavy into the art wank territory too often for me to properly enjoy. They really hit lightning in a bottle with everything before tenderlove though.

would love to catch him live oneday, he can make one hell of a show it seems

multistability is my favorite but i like his more chill stuff like the collabs with errorsmith and dj sprinkles aswell

They really hit lightning in a bottle with everything before tenderlove

tenor.gif

Tenderlove is good but it's not a patch on everything prior.

Fair but also disagree. Tenderlove onwards is more challenging territory for sure but I love a good challenge.

I remember there was a thread for posting art/photos to accompany autechre's music and someone posted a Mondrian. To which someone replied "nah that's SND" which is perfect.

Just found this on Fell's site lol

multistability live (microtemporal works)

some quotes about mark fell live:

• 'probably my single favourite set of music i've heard this year' keith fullerton whitman
  • 'briliant performance' florian hecker
  • 'best live set i've heard in ages' oren ambarchi
  • 'inspiring and thrilling' frank bretschneider
  • 'a magisterial performance' christophe charles
  • 'most drawn out cresendo in history' rob hall
  • 'the yardstick by which all jams shall be judged' john elliot, spectrum spools/emeralds
  • 'a religious experience' electronic supper club
  • 'you're a douchebag and this sucks' comment from audience member to boyfriend

lol

edit: also the live recent stuff sounds cool and checked out Multistability based on Spiral's rec, it's pretty nice. Gets toward Vladislav Delay territory really, but very stripped back. The live stuff sounds a bit more full and peaks my ears up, hoping that comes out in some fashion.

Edited by auxien

I remember there was a thread for posting art/photos to accompany autechre's music and someone posted a Mondrian. To which someone replied "nah that's SND" which is perfect.

Definitely agree here. I'm by no means as seasoned an SND listener as some here, but from the stuff I have gotten hold of, I can totally see the Mondrian visual allusions.

Autechre are deffo way too linked with graff for me.

Edited by oscillik

Met him once during Geometry of Now event he curated in Moscow (Feb 2017).

It was actually quite a funny story, daughter of officially the richest man in Russia, Victoria Michelson, happened to walk into Fell and Luke Fowler's installation at the Barbican Center and decided to offer him the chance to treat this disintegrated pre-Soviet water-power plant recently bought by her father for future art center purposes.

He invited a lot of his friends and favourites for sound installations, workshops, talks and live gigs, of course. You can check the line-up for names, some artists couldn't come, i guess, at least i know that he also invited the 'chre, but it was against their schedule (no tour at the time). He even brought some of his favourite printed texts for library section (just a large table with A4 prints of research articles and occasional books on philosophy and shit). Mat Steele was there, too, i forgot his exact role, but he was the main technical/sound producer of sorts.

I saw Mark participating in the last talk (on curating contemporary sound art and music) and decided to greet him in person. But i didn't know what to say, so i kinda stood there trying to come up with anything and finally decided to go the idiot fanboy route by asking about his kids. I already deducted that Rian Treanor was his son (i was the one who shared the evidence with WATMM and started the rumour, if you recall), so i asked for his superfluous confirmation (he just gave a nod) and then asked about his daughter, whose track he played in the Headphone Highlights podcast, she also narrated his Composing with process series on radio web MACBA. 

So yeah, i'm there asking him about the track, he was ready to go into it but i already heard the story in the podcast, on to the next question with a slight interruption - what's Connie up to? And he goes on with his usual calmly drawn out talk and i'm not hearing half of it (she's twenty and?) so i interrupt him again by asking if she's making electronic music and he says no. Then some girl comes by to greet him and after a pause i awkwardly jump to the Mat Steele question (he already said about his participation in the public talk) and yeah, ok, thanks, bye go to the exit.

Fair but also disagree. Tenderlove onwards is more challenging territory for sure but I love a good challenge.

Just found this on Fell's site lol

multistability live (microtemporal works)

some quotes about mark fell live:

• 'probably my single favourite set of music i've heard this year' keith fullerton whitman
  • 'briliant performance' florian hecker
  • 'best live set i've heard in ages' oren ambarchi
  • 'inspiring and thrilling' frank bretschneider
  • 'a magisterial performance' christophe charles
  • 'most drawn out cresendo in history' rob hall
  • 'the yardstick by which all jams shall be judged' john elliot, spectrum spools/emeralds
  • 'a religious experience' electronic supper club
  • 'you're a douchebag and this sucks' comment from audience member to boyfriend

lol

I'm not talking about it being challenging though. I just think they hit upon a perfect aesthetic that wasn't being done at the time and is seemingly completely inimitable. I don't want to say too much about it as I wanted to make a really long gushing thread like an article about it.

I think if everything before tenderlove existed as SND and everything else was called something else, SND would be this perfectly sublime little audio artifact from the turn of the century divorced from anything else out there. The existence of Atavism highly dilutes that, though I do appreciate bits of it. I'm sure there were other glitch/clicks and cuts stuff at the time, but I've never heard anything that comes close to that SND aesthetic. Will gush later when I have time.

and then asked about his daughter, whose track he played in the Headphone Highlights podcast, she also narrated his Composing with process series on radio web MACBA. 

Cool didn't know that.  Enjoyed those podcasts.

yeah his composing with process thing with the kid (only just read it's his daughter itt) explaining each piece is amazing

I had no idea either ! That definitely explains it - Was wondering why there was a random person stumbling over some of the more esoteric words rather than a proper 'academic' narrating it. That's sweet !