IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

i like some of jacob collier's stuff from his last album but he doesn't seem to know how to reel it in and focus on one thing, his songs end up sounding like taking every concept and trying to jam it into one pop/jazz song. i have a feeling his future efforts will get better tho.

hes an astonishingly gifted musician with a unfortunately terrible taste in music. excited to see what he comes up with in his 30's though.

His taste in music isn't terrible, unless you don't like funk. But he is definitely incredibly talented, and clearly works hard at making amazing music. He also manages to seem to have fun while doing it...no manifestos...yet.

fwp: he's 23 and has already opened for Herbie Hancock. Fuuuuuuu

it's just kind of fundamentally tasteless though. that track you posted sounds like something written for a tim & eric sketch. i can't understand how he would think that all that flashy shit like orchestral sections and record scratches and overly processed vocals fits together to make something pleasurable to listen to. it's like if OPN's tongue-in-cheek deconstructions of pop and academic music were reconstructed into a frankenstein's monster of earnestness.

So i guess my real fwp is that i'm in the minority here - I really like his stuff.

I'm also insanely jealous of the ability to harmonize with microtones, and play that many instruments that well.

Sorry for gordoing up the thread guys.

Yeah I didn't think he was bad at all. I mean it's quite poppy but he's got chops and sincerity. I couldn't figure out if he made you depressed because he's stupendously talented/precocious or because of his (lack of) aesthetics.

il take his equally saccharine but slightly less poppy hymn style stuff over that tune. but yeah its not really my bag atall. i do watch alot of his tutorials on jazz improv though. quincy jones noticed his prodigy early on, his ability to hear, replicate, and immediately understand progression is insane. 

The first vid I linked of his was apparently the one that caught Quincy Jones' eye.

If you enjoy his choral style more, the first track on his latest effort is pretty much that.

There's also a video where he explains harmony at 5 different levels, the last level he's sitting with Herbie Hancock, there's a good two minutes where the entire conversation is just them playing chord progressions back and forth to each other and going "yeah", "yeah", "oh right", "yeah". Funny as hell.

He definitely needs to start doing heroin or something around 28.

sorry.. but that stuff just reminds me christian rock bands or the music played when two scientologists get married and after they say their vows they're walking out of the hall all goofy and smiley celebrating w/everyone as that song plays then they have a brief honeymoon and and are immediately separated to go clean tom cruise's various houses and the camera zooms way out from across a valley and tom cruise is spying on them as they clean and that song is what's going on inside his head and he has a moment of day dreaming and it's revealed that that song came to life just before he jumped up on Oprah's couch. 

The first vid I linked of his was apparently the one that caught Quincy Jones' eye.

If you enjoy his choral style more, the first track on his latest effort is pretty much that.

There's also a video where he explains harmony at 5 different levels, the last level he's sitting with Herbie Hancock, there's a good two minutes where the entire conversation is just them playing chord progressions back and forth to each other and going "yeah", "yeah", "oh right", "yeah". Funny as hell.

He definitely needs to start doing heroin or something around 28.

he needs 1 bad acid trip

Edited by ignatius

Tried to engage in some energy saving practices this Summer to reduce our energy bill but it appears that the saving in the bill is in direct proportion to the time that we were on holidays :/

water heaters, AC, TV screens, washer/dryer/kitchen appliances are the big energy sucks right? 

was told once that if i have an electric water heater even 1 solar panel will pay for itself in 1 year just by supplying electricity for the water heater. 

a couple years ago i had to get a new water heater so splashed out on super energy efficient rheem water heater.  seems to help knock the bill down a tiny bit but also i'm just one person here now since my ex left a year or so ago so that probably has something to do w/the reduction as well ;)

stupid fw problem:

it's march so "march madness" college basketball tournament is going on and it's fucking annoying even though i don't encounter any of it.. i wish it was hockey. NHL stanley cup playoffs start in april. 

After several shots of rice liquor I had an argument with a neo-Nazi in an Asian all you can eat restaurant who thinks that the guy who did the shooting in the mosque in New Zealand is a hero. Such a pointless way to ruin one's evening

Doesn't enjoying food from non-white cultures break the code of white supremacy?  

If you're trying to find some kind of logic or big leading idea behind neo-nazism you're going to be disappointed.. It's just fear and hate dressed up as an ideology.

After several shots of rice liquor I had an argument with a neo-Nazi in an Asian all you can eat restaurant who thinks that the guy who did the shooting in the mosque in New Zealand is a hero. Such a pointless way to ruin one's evening

Problem is how common they are in the world nowadays. Whoever gives a mass shooter praise like that deserves to get castrated with a superheated steel wire.

for the love of god try n get in here

http://www.thecoconutclub.sg/menu.html

Oh wow that menu looks tasty, thanks for the tip cw! Since I'll be back in a few months now it looks like, I'll have a place to try out :)

By myself in Singapore on a business trip atm... Thought it would be a super fun adventure, but it's kinda lonely as I don't know anyone here and I'm just walking through endless malls and food courts and taking taxis to tourist areas. Right now I'm sitting on a bench in the middle of a downtown busy area, people watching and just absorbing the city lights and sounds, ambient music rings through out the countless high rises and swirls around. There are so many high end stores, it's unreal, obscure fashion from paris and Japan... Gucci/lv stores everywhere I go. This place makes LA and NY look trashy. I just want to put on some Basinksi or 2 8 1 4 on headphones and close my eyes.

Nice, I'm actually pretty close by in Jakarta atm.

Try going to China Town. They have some excellent food and it's not so clinically clean there. Also when I was in Singapore I stayed in Geylang, which is by Singaporean standards "a bad neighborhood".. actually really peaceful. You can find some frog porridge shops there.

Then there's the Haw Par Villa theme park which gets quite interesting..inline-haw-par-women.jpg?itok=W6TycbBi

Oh nice are you there for travel or business? Jakarta seems interesting. Thanks for the tips there, didn't have a chance to do much as it was a lot of work stuff in the day and super tired after each day haha, but did get to see some cool things. Clinical is a good way of describing Singapore, but it has it's charm and everyone's very nice. Fascinating the taxi driver told me that he sees more people come for business travel than leisure.

It's funny I'm usually into trying to new foods but I just couldn't get into it there, no matter what I tried. My favorite moment was a surreal light/music show at Marina Bay Sands over the river, and they were playing a Sakamoto cover. Totally mezmorizing.

I'm here for travel, this was the cheapest place to fly to in Indonesia from Cambodia. To be honest I would rather be in Singapore than here, but as this was my entry point to Indonesia I decided to stay for a few days. My plan is to continue overland to the east end of Java and then by ferry to Bali. After that I really don't know.. Anyway, I've got a plane ticket from Kalimantan to Malaysian Borneo but not sure I will use that, it only cost around 19USD and I needed some kind of of proof of onward travel so I bought it mostly for that.

I think I'm slowly becoming Asian. Sun was shining this morning and I was annoyed by that. Why can't it be just nice and cloudy so I don't burn myself? lol

Haha wild, me too, esp with the food thing, I can't eat more than half a portion of American food and it all tastes way too seasoned and salty and cheesy/greasy. Haha, I'm sure that'll change right back for me in a week.

Do the night safari in Singapore if you have time. Along with the food, it is one of the few things worth seeing in Singapore. Alternatively, check out the human rights abuses in virtually every household that has a domestic servant.

Ooh noted thanks chen! My colleague who lives there kept telling me to check out the Night Safari, so I will definitely do that on my next trip there soon. Sounds adventurous. Very sad about the domestic servants there.

Apparently I have a case of swimmer's ear but haven't been swimming in years. Ear drops aren't really doing anything, and no way am I shoving a cotton swab down my ear canal.

yay! trump wants to repeal the entire ACA! :datboi:

:cerious:

Uhhh, holy fuck man, I'm so sorry. . . I work in oncology care and this is (while wholly unsurprising given our president) shitty to hear . .. fuck. . . fingers crossed this doesn't go through. . . positive vibes/good thoughts/meditations and best wishes your way!!!

thanks.. i have no idea what will happen but when i saw the story last night i had to vent for better or worse.. 

my insurance company is pretty good but before the ACA i had a really hard time finding coverage due to other pre-existing conditions and had expensive and shitty insurance. so, if they totally repeal the ACA it's not a stretch to think my insurance company will drop me when the time comes.

if that happens then i guess i put any assets in my brother's name and go on medicaid or something. i have no idea.

Didn't think to bring a pillow to rest my head on as I recline on this here hammock, and I don't feel like walking back to my cabin to grab it.  Furthermore, the sun shines so brightly I can hardly see my screen as I write this so it's probably riddled with typos.  Also wtf is up with all the tiny jizz blobs on my screen?  This is bullshit.

Didn't think to bring a pillow to rest my head on as I recline on this here hammock, and I don't feel like walking back to my cabin to grab it.  Furthermore, the sun shines so brightly I can hardly see my screen as I write this so it's probably riddled with typos.  Also wtf is up with all the tiny jizz blobs on my screen?  This is bullshit.

are you wearing shoes?  if so, they can make a decent pillow if take them off and they aren't too smelly you can tuck them under your head. 

I was!  And still am, but I walked back to the cabin after Scott 4 finished.  I could go back however and bring a pillow this time.  The jizz blobs disappeared like magic as soon as I went back inside, which was p cool.  The next S Walker album is taking fucking forever to download so... I'll have to interrupt that listening venture with something else or listen to the banality of mother nature - that wretched whore.  Fallen on hard times here.

I arrive in Tokyo on April 3, which is 3 days after this:

http://tohoku-youth-orchestra.tumblr.com/post/183831708640/%E6%9C%AC%E6%97%A5%E3%81%AF%E6%9D%B1%E4%BA%AC%E5%85%AC%E6%BC%94-%E5%85%88%E7%A8%8B%E3%82%B2%E3%83%8D%E3%83%97%E3%83%AD%E3%81%8C%E3%82%B9%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88%E3%81%97%E3%81%BE%E3%81%97%E3%81%9F%E4%BC%9A%E5%A0%B4%E3%81%AF-%E6%9D%B1%E4%BA%AC%E3%82%AA%E3%83%9A%E3%83%A9%E3%82%B7%E3%83%86%E3%82%A3

Which my wife's friend is conducting, and of which the musical director is Ryuichi Sakamoto (with whom my wife's friend spent several years as composer in residence or something along those lines in New York, and so is a good friends with Mr. Sakamoto). So yet again, I miss an opportunity to meet one of my musical idols.